• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting started in trout fishing

jar

I haven't fished in years. I used to fish with my grandfather when I was a kid. Caught a whole bunch of largemouth bass with nightcrawlers in a pond on some relatives land.

Westford sportsmen's club has a stocked trout pond, so I'm thinking about starting fishing again to take advantage of that. What equipment would people recommend for a newbie who wants to try it out inexpensively? I probably still have my cheap wal-mart ultralight spinning rig in my parents basement somewhere, would that be usable? Do I need a fishing license to fish in the pond at a private club?

Also, I have no idea how to clean fish to get them ready to cook. We always got my grandfather to do that part. How does one learn to do it?

Thanks for any info.

Jeff, you can borrow on of my granddaughters' rigs if you want. They managed to pull a couple of decent size trout out of the pond at the derby last month. One of them went back, but the big one was dinner.

Ken

I haven't fished in years. I used to fish with my grandfather when I was a kid. Caught a whole bunch of largemouth bass with nightcrawlers in a pond on some relatives land.

Westford sportsmen's club has a stocked trout pond, so I'm thinking about starting fishing again to take advantage of that. What equipment would people recommend for a newbie who wants to try it out inexpensively? I probably still have my cheap wal-mart ultralight spinning rig in my parents basement somewhere, would that be usable? Do I need a fishing license to fish in the pond at a private club?

Also, I have no idea how to clean fish to get them ready to cook. We always got my grandfather to do that part. How does one learn to do it?

Thanks for any info.

Fly fishing is the way to go. Beyond that, any rig will do to start. Then you'll get into the equipment race.

Cleaning fish is easy, but depends on the fish. For trout, just slit the belly and pull the guts out. You can remove the head and/or tail if you'd like, too.

There are trout in Stony Brook and Keyes Brook in Westford if you are interested. Try using a fly a with a bobber five feet up the line to provide weight for casting a fly on a spinning rig. There are also some unbelievably big bass and pickerel in Burges Pond on the East Boston Camps property. I grew up fishing on that pond with my Dad. If you ever walk in the woods on that land there is a beautiful granite bench in memory of him along the path if you want to stop and sit and enjoy the woods and brook. I like to think he brings me luck when I fish there.

As far as cleaning fish Martlet told you all you need to know for trout. Slit them down the belly, clean out the guts, chop of the head behind the gills and tail, rinse out the body cavity, stick some sliced lemons, olive oil, and fresh herbs in there, salt and pepper it and throw it on the grill. Now I'm hungry.

Ugly Stik and reel = $30
Jar of eggs, spoons, flys and bobbers = $15

This is a good start to see if you want to get into it. The Ugly Stiks are cheap and will serve you well.

your UL rig will do just fine but spool up with some fresh 4lb mono, little kastmaster,spinners and other assorted spoons will usully put a hurtin on stockers as well as power eggs and power bait dough fished under a bobber or on a egg sinker rig.

to clean trout just slit down the belly and pull the guts out and wash the inside with cold running water. you can stuff it with garlic bread crumbs or roll it in seasoning and fry it up.

this rig nails them:

put sliding weight on line first.
tie line to a swivel, and then tie a 10 inch leader of 4 pound fluro to the swivel
tie the smallest trout hook you can find to the leader
put a small amount of power bait on the hook, about the size of your finger.

when you cast this rig the weight will stay on the bottom and the powerbait will raise ten inchs off the bottom. when the fish takes it he will not feel the weight. when it goes to the bottom slack you line just enough that there is no tension of the weight and watch your line for movement.

In about one week it is going to be prime time trout fishing. in Mass it already is.

However if you are fishing for native trout, you can not beat a fly rod.

Back
Top Bottom