Globe Reports H. 4102 may get another vote???

From our friend James Alan Fox:

A Beacon Hill mulligan
Posted by James Alan Fox, Crime and Punishment June 11, 2010 01:45 PM

As an update to the legislative fiasco earlier this week with regard to Governor Patrick’s gun bill, there may be a legislative do-over, a Beacon Hill mulligan for all you golfers.

<snip>

Regardless of how this mishap occurred, it appears that the House may consider a proposal to recommit the gun bill back to the Joint Committee on the Judiciary.

More: http://boston.com/community/blogs/crime_punishment/2010/06/beacon_hill_mulligan.html

Ugh.

Finally, a couple of posters and e-mailers requested a roll call of the votes, which apparently is required by Legislative rules. Nevertheless, no official identification of votes has yet been announced publicly. Thanks to some leg work—and phone work—from the State House News Service, some of the committee members revealed their ballot choices.

* Favor: Rep. Eugene O’Flaherty (D-Chelsea), Sen. Cynthia Creem (D-Newton), Sen. Rep. Christopher Speranzo (D-Pittsfield), Sen. Jack Hart (D-South Boston) , Sen. Thomas McGee (D-Lynn), plus one other unidentified representative.

* Opposed: Reps. Daniel Webster (R-Pembroke) and Lew Evangelidis (R-Holden).

* Voting to take no immediate action were: Sens. Bruce Tarr (R-Gloucester), Steve Baddour (D-Methuen), Gale Candaras (D-Wilbraham), and Rep. Danielle Gregoire (D-Marlborough).

* Undetermined: Reps. James Fagan (D-Taunton), Colleen Garry (D-Dracut), John Fernandes (D-Milford), Marie St. Fleur (D-Boston), Katherine Clark (D-Melrose), and James Dwyer (D-Woburn).

Last edited:
That sucks. Surprised by the positions though. My state rep is on the committee, saw her last week, 'A' GOAL endorsed!

Met the republican running for her seat this past Monday night. He's getting a check tomorrow!

looks like a few reps were not honest in their replies to vote in opposition to the bill.

Remember, remember, the 2nd of November.

I smell a State House rat twisting a few arms, and making some phone calls to get this thing back to the Judiciary Committee and returned with the outcome it wants.

Last edited:
This is not unexpected, as we reported yesterday;

These are the three scenarios that could take place.

* The House of Representatives can vote to accept the committee report, in which case the bill will not continue towards becoming law.
* The report can be substituted for the actual bill, this would essentially disregard the "ought not to pass" report and put the bill back into play. The House could then vote on it, most likely in a formal session.
* The House and the Senate could vote to send it back to the Judiciary Committee for discussion and another vote. This would take a positive majority vote from both the House and the Senate.

We will continue to monitor this, stay tuned for info to follow as the situation develops.

Thanks

For more info on this visit our page here.

Anyone running against those that voted for this in the future is getting my donations! Let's dance!

I just sent my rep (Speranzo) as polite an email as I could manage to comment on his voting in favor for this bill. How is this guy A rated by GOAL?

I just sent my rep (Speranzo) as polite an email as I could manage to comment on his voting in favor for this bill. How is this guy A rated by GOAL?

Do the ratings change "on the fly", according to votes on things like this? If not, they should!

Do the ratings change "on the fly", according to votes on things like this? If not, they should!

You're going to write the database logic for that? You work for short money? That's some pretty robust programming that probably 1 person I know could do. And umm he's out of GOAL's price range.

Database? I thought a person rates them.

What I meant is whether this is an annual process, or can the ratings change when necessary?

Last edited:

Well, I don't know about on the fly exactly.

You're going to write the database logic for that? You work for short money? That's some pretty robust programming that probably 1 person I know could do. And umm he's out of GOAL's price range.

That'd be large money, yeah.

What I mean is, how does someone get an A rating in the first place? Isn't that supposed to be based on a voting pattern over time? How do they suddenly flip like that and vote in the complete opposite direction?

Argh. I should stop trying to apply logic to politics, especially MA politics.

This is what I sent him:
Representative Speranzo,

I am a constituent of yours living in Pittsfield. I have written and called your office about this issue before, without reply.

I am dismayed to hear that you voted in favor of H. 4102, Governor Patrick's anti-civil rights gun control bill. I urge you to reconsider should this bill come up for a vote again, either in committee or in the house. Regardless, I will remember your decision on this and other bills come November.

Please remember that this is Western Massachusetts, not Boston, and your constituents will not appreciate your voting to erode our civil rights.

Thank you,
exodious

Edit: No offense intended to folks living in Boston / Eastern MA ;)

Last edited:
GOAL reviews their ratings on all politicians at the end of each formal session. They give a letter grade to incumbents based on their voting record. Grades get adjusted accordingly.

The reason you are seeing some flip flopping is thus. Election year politics.

They are more scared of losing their jobs, going against the governor, pissing off their base, than they are of us. We have to make them realize, WE are the base.

MA needs to get rid of the current system of "professional politicians" and adopt what NH does. When it is your job to make laws, that's what you are going to do, and they make WAY TO MANY OF THEM. Add the "cushy" well paid with perks factor, and they fight hard to keep them, and for the most part do just that, instead of what is often "the right thing"

Last edited:
Emailed them again. Mentioned the Tea Party and that I was a member... Well at least on Facebook, I am. (sent something similar on 2259.

I just sent out anther mass emailing. This uphill battle is starting to be very tiring, not to mention that it is not good for my health. I am supposed to take it easy to keep my blood pressure in check. How the hell can I do that when these douches who are supposed to work for me and represent me keep taking my rights away? [angry][frown][crying][slap]

The H.4102 vote got you mad, and rightly so. That battle isn't over yet, but we still need more info. Stay tuned.

However, in the mean time, lets get a law passed that actually does something good!

GOAL NEEDS YOUR HELP AGAIN!

Get H.2259 out of committee and onto the House floor for discussion.

The bill will expire VERY soon so you need to ACT NOW and I mean NOW!

Call, email, and write everyone on the Joint Committe on Public Safety and Homeland Security.

Urge them to vote favorably on H.2259

See this thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...*-let-s-get-it-done!***?p=1456041#post1456041

For more information, go to http://www.massgunlawreform.com[/B][/SIZE]/

STATE SENATOR JAMES E. TIMILTY
State House
Room 507
Boston, MA 02133
Telephone: (617) 722-1222
Fax: 617-722-1056
E-Mail Address: [email protected]

STATE SENATOR STEPHEN M. BREWER
State House
Room 109-B
Boston, MA 02133
Telephone: (617) 722-1540
Fax: (617) 722-1078
State House E-Mail Address: [email protected]

STATE SENATOR STEPHEN J. BUONICONTI
State House
Room 309
Boston, MA 02133
Tel 617-722-1660
Local office 413-733-9991
fax 413-733-9998
State House E-Mail Address: [email protected]

STATE SENATOR GALE D. CANDARAS
State House
Room 213B
State House
Boston, MA 02133
Tel 617-722-1291
Local office 413-599-4785
Facsimile: 617-722-1014
E-Mail: [email protected]
[email protected]

STATE SENATOR BRIAN A. JOYCE
State House
Room 413-A
Boston, MA 02133
Telephone: (617) 722-1643

STATE REPRESENTATIVE MICHAEL A. COSTELLO
State House
Room 167
State House
Boston, MA 02133
Telephone: 617-722-2230
Facsimile: 617-722-2846
Email: [email protected]

STATE REPRESENTATIVE CHRISTOPHER J. DONELAN
State House
Room 167
State House
Boston, MA 02133
617-722-2230
978-544-2180

STATE REPRESENTATIVE TIMOTHY J. TOOMEY, JR.
Room:238
State House
Boston, MA 02133
617-722-2380
617-491-1846
Fax 617-722-2598

STATE REPRESENTATIVE BRUCE J. AYERS
State House
Room 167
State House
Boston, MA 02133
tel 617-722-2230

STATE REPRESENTATIVE DAVID M. NANGLE
State House
Room 527A
State House
Boston, MA 02133
Telephone: 617-722-2020
Facsimile: 617-722-2215

STATE REPRESENTATIVE GERALDO ALICEA
State House
Room 33
State House
Boston, MA 02133
Tel (617) 722-2060
Local Telephone: (508) 434-0235
Facsimile: (617) 722-2849

STATE REPRESENTATIVE LINDA DEAN CAMPBELL
State House
Room 174
State House
Boston, MA 02133
Tel 617-722-2877
Facsimile: 617-722-9278

STATE REPRESENTATIVE KEVIN AGUIAR
State House
Room 23
Boston , MA 02133
617-722-2140
Facsimile: 617-722-2339

STATE REPRESENTATIVE BRIAN M. ASHE
State House
Room 540
Boston, MA 02133
Tel 617-722-2090
Local Telephone: 413-754-4184
Facsimile: 617-722-2848

STATE REPRESENTATIVE JEFFREY D. PERRY
State House
Room 136
State House
Boston, MA 02133
Tel 617-722-2396
Local Phone: (508)-888-2158
Facsimile: 617-722-2819
Fax: (508) 888-1179

STATE REPRESENTATIVE BRADFORD HILL
State House
Room 128
State House
Boston, MA 02133
Tel: 617- 722-2100
Local tel: 978-356-9008

(thank you MA_Shooter for compiling the list)

NOT doing anything means you must like the current MA gun laws. If not, then do your part and let your voice be heard. Help get H.2259 passed!

State House News

WEEKLY ROUNDUP: WHAT TO LEAVE IN, WHAT TO LEAVE OUT
Recap and analysis of the week in state government

By Jim O'Sullivan
STATE HOUSE NEWS SERVICE

SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y., JUNE 11, 2010……..Gambling hearings on Beacon Hill are a bit like family

SNIP

Indeed, the Legislature evinced its procedural agility this week after a hiccup of a vote on Gov. Deval Patrick's gun control bill, as the House by Friday began considering swallowing it back into committee after giving it a thumbs-down in a vote in which committee members didn't really seem all that interested, proof of which came through the fact that fewer than half the panel members appeared to partake in the initial vote. The bill, which took six days to process out of committee despite a 14-to-3 Dem-to-Republican ration on the panel, will probably go back in, then come back out, maybe pass, and all will be right with the world, if not the National Rifle Association.
SNIP

http://www.statehousenews.com/public/roundup.htm

Jesus. No bias there...

WEEKLY ROUNDUP: WHAT TO LEAVE IN, WHAT TO LEAVE OUT
Recap and analysis of the week in state government

By Jim O'Sullivan
STATE HOUSE NEWS SERVICE

SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y., JUNE 11, 2010……..Gambling hearings on Beacon Hill are a bit like family

SNIP

Indeed, the Legislature evinced its procedural agility this week after a hiccup of a vote on Gov. Deval Patrick's gun control bill, as the House by Friday began considering swallowing it back into committee after giving it a thumbs-down in a vote in which committee members didn't really seem all that interested, proof of which came through the fact that fewer than half the panel members appeared to partake in the initial vote. The bill, which took six days to process out of committee despite a 14-to-3 Dem-to-Republican ration on the panel, will probably go back in, then come back out, maybe pass, and all will be right with the world, if not the National Rifle Association.
SNIP

http://www.statehousenews.com/public/roundup.htm

DeLeo: Patrick's gun bill will get floor debate

http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/news/x1350926578/DeLeo-Patricks-gun-bill-will-get-floor-debate

Posted Jun 14, 2010 @ 02:53 PM
BOSTON — Gov. Deval Patrick’s proposal to limit gun purchasers to one firearm per month and toughen penalties for gun offenses will see action on the House floor, Speaker Robert DeLeo said Monday, nearly a week after lawmakers appeared to have sent the bill to a legislative graveyard.

“It will be debated on the floor,” DeLeo told reporters after speaking at a State House event.

The speaker’s commitment is a boost for Patrick, who has blistered lawmakers in recent weeks for allegedly allowing his proposal to languish. The governor has juxtaposed the lack of action on his bill with news reports regarding recent gun violence in Boston.

Last week, the bill’s future dimmed when a botched vote by the Judiciary Committee resulted in a rejection, despite claims that six committee members had voted for it and only four against. The committee vote also showed that nearly half of the 17-member committee had voted to take no immediate position – known in legislative parlance as voting to reserve their rights.

Referring to the committee's disputed rejection of his bill, Gov. Deval Patrick said Monday that he’s working with DeLeo “to see if we can’t fix that.”

“It is an important initiative. It’s important to neighborhoods. You have only to pick up the paper, listen to the news and see the fear that’s in some of the neighborhoods because of the proliferation of guns,” he said.

Patrick added, “It’s very frustrating, but you know it’s going to take more than frustration to get it to move. I have been in touch with the speaker. He has assured me he’s going to do what he can to sort this out. The problem is, we’re getting close to the end of the session, and there’s a lot of business that needs to be finished before the end of the session. But we’ll keep at it.”

Under the governor’s bill, violators who purchase more than one gun per month would face a maximum fine of $1,000 or a 2.5-year jail sentence on a first offense, and a maximum $5,000 fine or five years in state prison on a subsequent offense.

The bill also permits the state agency that manages criminal records, as well as the Trial Court, to transmit to the attorney general any information necessary to conduct a background check on a person purchasing a firearm or gun license. The bill bars the possession of a machine gun except by instructors, collectors or law enforcement officers. Possession of a firearm, rifle or shotgun during the commission of a misdemeanor would be punished by imprisonment in state prison for up to 10 years, in a house of correction for up to 2.5 years or a $5,000 fine.

Judiciary Committee aides have declined to release the votes of individual members, saying it’s been a longstanding committee policy to withhold their names. Such information is commonly made available by other committees.

Through interviews with aides and lawmakers on the 17-member committee, the News Service has confirmed that Reps. Eugene O’Flaherty (D-Chelsea), Christopher Speranzo (D-Pittsfield), and Sens. Cynthia Creem, Jack Hart (D-South Boston) and Thomas McGee (D-Lynn) voted in support of the proposals.

Reps. Colleen Garry (D-Dracut), James Fagan (D-Taunton), Daniel Webster (R-Pembroke) and Lew Evangelidis (R-Holden) voted to reject the governor’s bill. Sens. Bruce Tarr (R-Gloucester), Steven Baddour (D-Methuen) Gale Candaras (D-Wilbraham), and Reps. Danielle Gregoire (D-Marlborough), John Fernandes (D-Milford), James Dwyer (D-Woburn), Katherine Clark (D-Melrose) have indicated that they have no position on the proposal yet.

Marie St. Fleur, who resigned from the House Friday to take a position in administration of Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, declined to respond to repeated requests for comment, but based on the process of elimination, likely cast the sixth vote in support of the governor’s measure.

Although six members indicated support for the proposal, the Judiciary Committee last week reported a 4-4 tie, denying the bill majority support. The committee’s House chairman, Rep. O’Flaherty, said two senators who favor the bill failed to cast their votes in time for a 4 p.m. Tuesday deadline, despite having had nearly five full days to weigh in.

The committee’s Senate chair, Sen. Creem, has maintained that the two senators – Hart and McGee – voted on time and should have been counted in the final tally.

Rep. Louis Kafka (D-Stoughton), chairman of the Steering and Policy Committee, which now has the bill, told the News Service he had just returned from a trip to Israel and needed to investigate the bill's history and speak to Rep. O'Flaherty.

DeLeo said the bill could be sent back to the Judiciary Committee and could move from that panel to the House Ways and Means Committee.

"Eventually we'll get it," DeLeo said.

Back
Top Bottom