Globe Reports H. 4102 may get another vote???

Jim is at the State House today working with our legislators on this. As we reported last week, this could go any one of three ways;

* The House of Representatives can vote to accept the committee report, in which case the bill will not continue towards becoming law.

* The report can be substituted for the actual bill, this would essentially disregard the "ought not to pass" report and put the bill back into play. The House could then vote on it, most likely in a formal session.

* The House and the Senate could vote to send it back to the Judiciary Committee for discussion and another vote. This would take a positive majority vote from both the House and the Senate.

It most likely will be either the second or third option, we'll have to wait and see how this goes.

We will continue to follow this bill and will keep our members updated on the status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim is at the State House today working with our legislators on this. As we reported last week, this could go any one of three ways;

* The House of Representatives can vote to accept the committee report, in which case the bill will not continue towards becoming law.

* The report can be substituted for the actual bill, this would essentially disregard the "ought not to pass" report and put the bill back into play. The House could then vote on it, most likely in a formal session.

* The House and the Senate could vote to send it back to the Judiciary Committee for discussion and another vote. This would take a positive majority vote from both the House and the Senate.

It most likely will be either the second or third option, we'll have to wait and see how this goes.

We will continue to follow this bill and will keep our members updated on the status.

Thanks for the update.

OMG so does this mean this nightmare could still come true?

I'm sure there are many sheeple who are saying the same thing about H2259. The only thing that can change their minds is education on the matter, which is what Mr. Wallace is apparently working on. Grandstanding to a large audience won't do much regarding this IMO. Face to face discussion with skeptics will be the only way to win this one. Again, based on the post above, I assume Mr. Wallace is working on this today.

"Under the governor’s bill, violators who purchase more than one gun per month would face a maximum fine of $1,000 or a 2.5-year jail sentence on a first offense, and a maximum $5,000 fine or five years in state prison on a subsequent offense."
If you were convicted of the first offense wouldn't you be inelegible to ever make a purchase again? Or would you be able to get an FID after 5 years?
My head is spinning...

If there is any hope of saving Mass it would be to pay the legislators $100 per year plus the cost of Mileage (how NH does it).

I think that is what you guys in Mass should really focus on.

"Under the governor’s bill, violators who purchase more than one gun per month would face a maximum fine of $1,000 or a 2.5-year jail sentence on a first offense, and a maximum $5,000 fine or five years in state prison on a subsequent offense."
If you were convicted of the first offense wouldn't you be inelegible to ever make a purchase again? Or would you be able to get an FID after 5 years?
My head is spinning...

From my Rep.Jen Flanagan

Mr.

I do not support this bill. I don't believe we should punish individuals who have not done anything wrong.

Regards,

Jen

Please see our ***Legislative Alert*** in this forum about this bill. We ALL need to call our State Representative today and ask that they vote NO on H.4102, and instead get H.2259 out of committee.

Thanks!

The Glob doesn't stop

Mass. activists: Shootings show need for gun law
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...ss_activists_shootings_show_need_for_gun_law/
BOSTON—Activists are pointing to the recent shooting deaths of two Boston teens as they press Beacon Hill lawmakers to pass a gun bill backed by Gov. Deval Patrick.
Discuss
COMMENTS (6)

Patrick's bill would limit Massachusetts gun buyers to one firearm per month and strengthen the hands of district attorneys prosecuting those charged with illegally possessing a firearm.

House Speaker Robert DeLeo has pledged to allow the bill to come up for a vote in the House in the next few weeks. DeLeo made his comments after the bill received an unfavorable recommendation the Judiciary Committee in an apparently botched vote.

Activists gathered outside the Statehouse on Tuesday to push for the bill.

Last month two Boston 14-year-olds, Nicholas Fomby-Davis and Jaewon Martin, were shot and killed.

The Glob doesn't stop ...
Activists gathered outside the Statehouse on Tuesday to push for the bill.

Last month two Boston 14-year-olds, Nicholas Fomby-Davis and Jaewon Martin, were shot and killed.

Insider trading... I didn't know it was happening today!

What we need to make clear to them is that this is MASSACHUSETTS legislation, not BOSTON legislation. At the hearing back in the Winter, even the Boston Police Commissioner/Chief/Head Guy said that these laws are not really going to make much difference, and affect the rest of the state which does not really need the law. How do we get this point across? How do we separate Boston problems from MASSACHUSETTS law? We need a stronger coalition of legislators from West of 495/128.

The other thing we need to make clear when calling is that legislators can't just be silently in support of 2259 and opposition to 4102. We really need to get them to become MORE VOCAL in our favor on both issues. I was willing to take it as far as saying I'd run against my rep next time around if he were not more vocal in our favor!

Anyone running against those that voted for this in the future is getting my donations! Let's dance!

+1 - I want to get a list of the representatives (and senators) who vote for this non-sense. I sense a repeat of 1998 is around the corner (just when you think it couldn't get worse).

We should pick 1 or 2 up for re-election this year and make a concerted effort to donate against them and drive them out of office.

If there is any hope of saving Mass it would be to pay the legislators $100 per year plus the cost of Mileage (how NH does it).

I think that is what you guys in Mass should really focus on.

I've been trying to tell people that for years.

It doesn't work - they don't " get it".

Here's your pal

He's a gun owner, and he's fine with background checks.

[video]http://www.boston.com/video/viral_page/?/services/player/bcpid21913462001&bctid=96432982001[/video]

What I sent. Feel free to copy and paste...

---------
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Dear members of the Public Safety and Homeland Security committee,

I am writing to ask you to stand up to the politically correct lobbying by our Governor and in our media and do the right thing.

The Governor's bill, H4102, is misguided and punishes lawful gun owners. It will not address crime or the causes for the recent shootings in the news. It was given an 'Ought not to pass' rating for a reason.

H2259, a bill which also addresses our gun laws, presents real and effective change. It adds teeth to address criminal misuse while simplifying and clarifying the tangle of laws used to snare the unsuspecting lawful gun owner. H2259 should be given a chance to be heard and voted on in place of H4102.

I respectfully ask you to kill H4102 in committee and do all in your power to get H2259 out of committee and brought to a vote. There's no reason to spend more time contemplating poor legislation when there is a far better alternative available.

Thank you for your consideration,

Dear members of the Public Safety and Homeland Security committee,

(snip)

I respectfully ask you to kill H4102 in committee and do all in your power to get H2259 out of committee and brought to a vote.

Wrong committee. PS&HS does indeed have H2259, but H4102 is in the hands of the Justice committee.

Wrong committee. PS&HS does indeed have H2259, but H4102 is in the hands of the Justice committee.

Thanks for the correction. Both committees should see this email. I've sent a copy of my mail to Judiciary using this mailing list:

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Also changed the greeting to:

Dear members of the Judiciary Committee,

Feel free to cut and paste again. Get the message out...

Back
Top Bottom