Glock 19 Accuracy

So I was at the range the other day and the guy next to me had a nice 1911. Put 14 rounds into a 3" group at 33 feet. I then put 14 rounds onto a man-size target at 33 feet...this got me thinking- I know his 1911 was a more accurate firearm...but really THAT much better?!? My groups with a Ruger MKIII (my 3rd time shooting it ever) were 1/3 the size of those with the Glock.

Is it me or the gun? The recoil doesn't bother me in the least, I *think* I'm on target...but the rounds just don't land where expected- they are all over the place!

I have learned the hard way that any gun can be accurate if you learn to shoot it.. I shoot some of my husbands guns 100% better than I shoot my own, but I practice as often as I can, and I see improvement every time..

Different beasts. Could be many, many things. Sights, triggers, frame size and grip, and as you mentioned flinching. You'd really need some coaching to get a quick assessment.

I was at the range shooting my pricey Sig 226 and when I switched with the guy in the lane next to me I had way better groupings with his Beretta 92. As much as I love the Sig its grip is just too thick for my stubby fingers.

Easy thing to do is try many different models and shoot what you shoot best [smile]

I shot my 19 pretty good but not my 1911 but my 19 is cheaper to shoot so that why im bettre wiht it[wink]

ive been shooting a 19 in idpa for about a year now, i've been catching a lot of crap for shooting a shorty in competition, but my scores have been proving otherwise, i just acquired a g17 so we'll see what happens with that. I've had a lot of success with my g19 and dont think i could ever get rid of it. Oh well just a quick though from me on the subject

The Glock was never meant to be a target gun and it never will be. The 1911 on the other hand is a far superior weapon in every respect including accuracy.

So I was at the range the other day and the guy next to me had a nice 1911. Put 14 rounds into a 3" group at 33 feet. I then put 14 rounds onto a man-size target at 33 feet...this got me thinking- I know his 1911 was a more accurate firearm...but really THAT much better?!? My groups with a Ruger MKIII (my 3rd time shooting it ever) were 1/3 the size of those with the Glock.

Is it me or the gun? The recoil doesn't bother me in the least, I *think* I'm on target...but the rounds just don't land where expected- they are all over the place!
I'm a 1911 guy, but I would think your Glock should be able to shoot much better than man sized at 11 yards. I'm not sure, for a typically decent shooter, that you could see much difference in the two at 11 yards.

That said, I never liked my Glock, shot it very little and not very well before I sold it.

Respectfully,
jkelly

The glock CAN shoot good groups if you do everything right, it's just not as easy as it is with the MKIII. Work on fundamentals.

PM Me if you need a hand.

At my range the closest you can shoot indoors is at 30 feet.
Both my brother and I can shoot 3" groups with the glock 34, glock 19 and glock 26.

You probably need to get used to the trigger.

On a typical practice day we can take 50 rounds and shooting at a good pace (not slow but not double tap) we can put 45-50 in the black area of a pistol target at that distance.

There are days when we practice by using a 1/2 inch shoot-n-see cover-up and try and hit it at 30 feet.

The G19 is definitely an accurate gun. If someone isn't grouping well with a modern day firearm, it's user error, not the gun. Most, if not all of the guns these days are more accurate than we could ever be.

And by "user error" I don't mean "you suck" [smile]

I just mean that as a beginner shooter, one has many potential bad habits to overcome that influence how small or large your groupings will be. Flinch, trigger jerk, grip, stance, etc. Within this learning curve, there will be certain guns that just "fit"... allowing you to shoot it better than others.

But as you get more experienced, and fix some of those potential bad habits, your ability to shoot many guns well will increase.

I shoot my Glocks best. I always have since the beginning. And there were some guns that I just didn't shoot as easily/well (HK, Sig). And these are guns that are easily just as accurate as Glocks. But after going to the range a LOT...I figured out that my trigger pull was the key factor for me... and after having really payed attention to my trigger pull...ie: PRACTICE... I've gotten to the point where I can keep all the rounds in the black with any of my semi-autos, taking my time, of course. Glock, HK, Sig, 1911, Beretta.

As you learn, figure out what you need to improve, PRACTICE... and you'll eventually get to a point where you can pick up any gun... and shoot it well.

[grin]

If you want to talk about J frames though, forget about it. No matter how I grip it, how I pull the trigger, I can't hit the side of barn from 5 feet. [smile] Though, it's the gun I shoot the least. Go figure [laugh] My brother, on the other hand, can put all 5 rounds into a nice 4 inch group at 30 feet. [angry]

Last edited:
I was at the range the other day.
My 1911 grouped nice and tight from about 35-40 feet.
The glock 26 I picked up recently was all over the place, finally figured out it was shooting low....apparently like many glocks.
Once I compensated for that, groups were better, not great.
Of course it is a new-to-me gun.

I was thinking about getting some adjustable sights for the 26, I think a company called MMC makes some??

ace57

It's not the gun, no offense to you or anyone, but it usually isn't. Unless it's a jacked-up gun. More then likely it's the shooter -- 98 times out of 100.

A three inch group at 11yds is nothing special, some might say it's sloppy considering it's only paper shooting.

The Glock was never meant to be a target gun and it never will be. The 1911 on the other hand is a far superior weapon in every respect including accuracy.

All except that other word ending in y: capacity.

One might argue that having more rounds won't do you much good if you can't hit what your aiming at. The better gun for "you" is the one you can hit your target with.

Thanks everyone, I just am not shooting this gun properly then. That's good news, I can fix me and it will have overall benefits.

Thanks everyone, I just am not shooting this gun properly then. That's good news, I can fix me and it will have overall benefits.

I'm not saying I haven't run into any bad guns or ones that don't shoot straight even in the best hands. But my experience working with thousands of shooters, over many years, and with all kinds of weapons -- tells me that if you can shoot one gun straight, then you can shoot them all. That all boils down to a true understanding and ability to apply the fundamentals of marksmanship on various weapon platforms.

Good luck and Happy 4th.

Last edited:
In a SHTF situation I'd be grabbing my Beretta 92 or a 1911 over my G19 based only on how proficient I am with them. I shoot better with full framed guns. I will admit I have not shot my Glocks that much so I will definitely say it is me and not the gun(s).

YMMV

I have a 1911 that has been eating everything for the last 40 years. Show me a glock that does that.

there are 2 glocks with over a million rounds each through them at the factory in austria. show me a m1911 that does that.

Back
Top Bottom