• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock .380 and .45 practical tactical: 2014 Shot Show

Reptile

NES Member
Lots of people have been talking about this on Glocktalk and some distributers have webpages to pre order them.
G42 is a [STRIKE]double[/STRIKE] single stack .380. The G41 is a practical tactical .45.

Official release will be at the 2014 Shot Show.

This is not some Glock Carbine Vaporware. (a product that never materializes)
This is for real.

Last edited:
I'm betting the .380 is just a re-hash of the g25/g28 that can actually be sold in the USA. A long slide .45? I know people who will line up for that.
The .380 will probably be based on the same frame size as the 19/23 or 26/27.

This is not some Glock Carbine Vaporware. (a product that never materializes)
This is for real.

Mechtech makes carabine uppers for Glocks. I got one.

Frankly, any company need to come up with new ideas and there is just little you can do with Glocks. You got all the calibers ... still waiting on Tok [laugh] and most full/sub/compact sizes. I don't know what else they could come up with.

Single stack 9mm

i'd get one for the lady if they made it. right now she is looking at a glock 36. i would have bought it and given it to her, but jeeezuzzzz dat grip. do not want. she likes it because it's not a double stack, which she finds is too wide in her hand in a glock, but i couldn't justify the purchase since she is happy with the guns she currently has, and would need to work her way up to .45.

if the .380s actually show up, that could be interesting, might be the perfect size for her.

I would love to see a single stack 9mm by Glock. They made a single stack in .45acp, so why not in 9mm? I'm not too interested in the LC9 and owned both a PF9 and a PM9. Give me a single stack 9mm Glock and I might keep it. Sounds like it's not going to happen though.

I would love to see a single stack 9mm by Glock. They made a single stack in .45acp, so why not in 9mm? I'm not too interested in the LC9 and owned both a PF9 and a PM9. Give me a single stack 9mm Glock and I might keep it. Sounds like it's not going to happen though.

I think Glock will come out with it after the G42 single stack .380.

I'd even bet on it.

Question is... how long will it take.

I hate to say it, but a 380 glock would sell like hotcakes. I personally hate that crap out of the 380, but for some reason, they are incredibly popular.

Why are people so gay for .380?

It's because for a lot of people - smaller is better. The majority of criminals just don't want to be shot. The caliber doesn't matter. It's not like you pull you pull out a gun and they ask you what the caliber is .... and if you answer ".380" - they attack ... and if you answer ".45" - they run away screaming.

It's because for a lot of people - smaller is better. The majority of criminals just don't want to be shot. The caliber doesn't matter. It's not like you pull you pull out a gun and they ask you what the caliber is .... and if you answer ".380" - they attack ... and if you answer ".45" - they run away screaming.

Well said.

Don't understand why anyone would "hate the crap out of .380". As if a couple rounds annoyingly sneak in to your EDC mags every once in a while or something. Carry what you're comfortable with and be done with it. Personally, I chose a larger caliber but I can certainly see the value in a smaller carry package that's afforded with a .380. I view it as another option.

I love little guns. I played around with .380 for a bit, reloading some fairly hot rounds. By the time I got a load up to SD quality it had turned into 9mm recoil without much else...

I have focused my attention on the .32 auto now with 75 grain loads over 1100 fps and 85 grain XTPs over 1050 fps that expand to .40 while passing thru 16" of water jug. A pocket pistol that shoots like a .22 mag instead of a 9mm.

That is why I'll pass on anything .380 at this point. And I love Glocks...

I'm betting the .380 is just a re-hash of the g25/g28 that can actually be sold in the USA.

Glock would not renumber the gun if they were going to do that, and frankly, a G25/G28 is a complete waste in this market. Gun manufacturers have made some stupid decisions, but Glock isn't that dumb.

The only thing dumb here is that it's a .380 instead of a 9mm. It'll probably still sell well, though, being that most of the guns in that class are junk guns, with the exception of the Kahr .380 and a couple others I can't think of at the moment.

-Mike

Don't understand why anyone would "hate the crap out of .380".

Because it doesn't meet or even approach the ballistic standards widely considered "acceptable" by the industry for a self defense caliber. You're not going to get a .380 load that reliably transits 13" of balgel through 4 layers of denim and still expands to a size greater than where it started. On the other hand there are probably a dozen loadings in 9mm Luger than do this easily. There's literally only one loading in .380 that -sorta- does this (Hornady CD) but I don't think the penetration depth is very far. Most .380 JHP loads fail to expand during this test, or they don't do it reliably.

That having been said, it's still way better than the other mousegun calibers, at least with ball ammo. .380 is great when you can't carry anything else for whatever bizarre reason.

The other problem with .380 ACP is the ammo is stupidly ****ing expensive, if only "because it can be". Ammo manufacturers
only dribble out so much of it every year, and this keeps the price artificially high. Even back when ammo was really cheap .380 was still somewhat more expensive.

-Mike

Last edited:
.380 just seems like the most useless caliber on earth to me. I've never shot one but I just can't see the point.

9mm is about as small as I think makes sense for defensive purposes. I sure wouldn't want to get shot by a .380 or any other caliber but I just see .380 as being super ghey.

.380 just seems like the most useless caliber on earth to me. I've never shot one but I just can't see the point.

9mm is about as small as I think makes sense for defensive purposes. I sure wouldn't want to get shot by a .380 or any other caliber but I just see .380 as being super ghey.

I bet most people who carry - especially women, don't spend countless hours on the internet debating the merits of different calibers. Pulling something in .380 out of your purse or pocket and shooting a mugger in the face with it is still better than pulling out nothing because it was too big to carry.

Less recoil also typically equals more accuracy. So for somebody of small stature or weaker wrist strength (read women and old people) choosing something in .380 and being able to hit something with it - is still better than carrying a larger caliber and hitting nothing.

Assassins have killed many people over the years with .22LR. No caliber is "useless".

I'm trying to point out the fail in this statement without being too insulting. This is the best I could come up with...

Yeah you make some good points. "useless" probably isn't a good choice of words.

Though I'd say a Kahr PM9 is pretty damn small and there's really no reason a woman couldn't just as easily carry that in her purse than a .380 and shoot the mugger in the face with 9mm +P instead.

I bet most people who carry - especially women, don't spend countless hours on the internet debating the merits of different calibers. Pulling something in .380 out of your purse or pocket and shooting a mugger in the face with it is still better than pulling out nothing because it was too big to carry.

Less recoil also typically equals more accuracy. So for somebody of small stature or weaker wrist strength (read women and old people) choosing something in .380 and being able to hit something with it - is still better than carrying a larger caliber and hitting nothing.

Assassins have killed many people over the years with .22LR. No caliber is "useless".

Because it doesn't meet or even approach the ballistic standards widely considered "acceptable" by the industry for a self defense caliber. You're not going to get a .380 load that reliably transits 13" of balgel through 4 layers of denim and still expands to a size greater than where it started. On the other hand there are probably a dozen loadings in 9mm Luger than do this easily. There's literally only one loading in .380 that -sorta- does this (Hornady CD) but I don't think the penetration depth is very far. Most .380 JHP loads fail to expand during this test, or they don't do it reliably.

That having been said, it's still way better than the other mousegun calibers, at least with ball ammo. .380 is great when you can't carry anything else for whatever bizarre reason.

The other problem with .380 ACP is the ammo is stupidly ****ing expensive, if only "because it can be". Ammo manufacturers
only dribble out so much of it every year, and this keeps the price artificially high. Even back when ammo was really cheap .380 was still somewhat more expensive.

-Mike

Honestly - after attempting to carry a number of different pistols over the years - I've come down to the realization that - for me at least - a true "pocket pistol" is pretty much the only way I will carry. I hate walking around with crap hanging off my belt. I don't wear a belt. I don't carry a lot of crap in my pockets. I don't carry a cellphone on my pocket. I don't typically wear a lot of bulky clothing. I also don't have a huge enough gut (yet) to justify wearing bulky clothing that would also help disguise a carry gun. Every time I've tried to carry something and REALLY looked at whether I printed or not - I do (print that is).

So something small is pretty much the only way to go - for me. Everybody is different.

I also have made it thru almost 50 years of existence without ever REALLY ending up in situation where I felt "OH SHIT - I wish I had a gun right now". So weighing all of that - I'd pick something in .380 over nothing.

Think of it this way - which way is the pro gun crowd better off - having a whole bunch of people carrying because they can accept carrying something in .380 , or having a substantially reduced number of people carrying because they don't want to try and adapt themselves to a larger bulkier gun?

The more products that are out there that suck more people into carrying the better IMHO.

In the firearms that are small enough to beat a 9mm at concealment, felt recoil in 380 is likely on par with a 9mm.

Depends on whether or not the .380 is direct blowback. If it's a direct blowback pistol it'll usually feel worse than a 9mm in the same weight range. Most small .380s are snappy as **** because of that. On the other hand you find a gun like the Sig P238, that has to be the softest recoiling, small semiauto .380 I've ever fired. It's not direct blowback though, to the best of my knowledge. In that comparison, what you're saying makes more sense.

However, if I take an average person and put them on the range with say, a Shield 9mm (with a good, repaired trigger, not a ****ed up MA one or the factory one) and a PPK/s .380, they're probably going to leave that experience hating the shield a lot less, and probably making better hits with it.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom