Glock 48 for 2019

I don’t understand why they’d go single stack (for easier carry) but longer barrel (for harder to conceal)?

Barrel is the easy part to conceal, the grip is alway the tricky and exposed part. Longer barrel also means a longer draw from concealment.

Although I have to admit I'd be intrigued by a flatter Glock .45 ACP handgun... eg something that held like 8-10 rounds but was flatter than the G30/21 profiled mags etc. I would probably buy that for the amusement
value if they made one and it was reliable.

-Mike
Like a Kahr CT45, but without the DAO trigger? Yeah, I could be down for that as long as it holds 9 in the mag. Problem is that doublestack 9's usually hold 4 more than .45, single stacks 2 more than .45, so I doubt the mag would be more than 7 or 8 rounds. That .45 is just so wide that once you start staggering them in the mag, it loses that narrowness quickly.

Maybe I’m just a cranky old f*** but I just don’t get the need to jump up and spend (in MA 600.00+$) for every new thing that comes out just because it gives me 2-3 more rounds. Must be a rich mans game.

Couple spare TT+3 mags for the 43 and I’m very comfortable with that for daily needs. I’ve carried daily for 30yrs, everything from G19’s to 1911’s, love them all, but to me the 43 is the perfect carry pistol in weight, size and reliability.

Rich man's game? you paid more for an extension than a magazine. lol

I agree on the size for daily carry, I prefer the shield due to the size of my hands. But paying more for an extension than the actual magazine just doesn't sit well with me. A gun like this really peaks my interest since I do not have to move hand away from the base of the grip like a standard 43 to drop the mag. Also will aid in controllability and not have to spend $30 for each extension on a $25, Each spare mag will now cost $55. For many who already have the 43 its not a drop your 43 and get a 43x. But someone who is a glock fan and was let down by the 43, these improvements peak my interest for my personal needs.

Im a glock fanboy. (Im not blind, they do some stupid shit) But laughed at the new marketing push of no finger groves, on the 5 and the 19x. But now I much prefer not having them now.
I'm a youngin' and have only ever handled Glocks with finger grooves, so I'm use to them, but I can't accept them on a slim single stack or staggered stack pistol.

Barrel is the easy part to conceal, the grip is alway the tricky and exposed part. Longer barrel also means a longer draw from concealment.

It's just weird that it's half an inch longer than G19. Especially weird when the G45 didn't get any longer.

Rich man's game? you paid more for an extension than a magazine. lol

I agree on the size for daily carry, I prefer the shield due to the size of my hands. But paying more for an extension than the actual magazine just doesn't sit well with me. A gun like this really peaks my interest since I do not have to move hand away from the base of the grip like a standard 43 to drop the mag. Also will aid in controllability and not have to spend $30 for each extension on a $25, Each spare mag will now cost $55. For many who already have the 43 its not a drop your 43 and get a 43x. But someone who is a glock fan and was let down by the 43, these improvements peak my interest for my personal needs.

My reasoning behind the rich mans game comment is that it’s a lot less expensive (for me) to buy the mags w/extensions (even at 55.00 each) for a pistol that I’ve already bought an upgraded trigger kit for, night sights, grip wrap, guide rod w/ spring, TLR6 and 3 diff holsters for my different needs, than it is to pay MA Glock prices (2x retail usually) and then buy all of those upgrades (that Glock needs out of the box IMO), more holsters and then more mags, for a pistol that will offer me 1 to 2 extra rounds (without buying more mag extensions for those). Maybe that makes more sense now, I’m no genius but that math works a lot better for me.

The mag release on most pistols sit fine for me being left handed, even with pretty good size hands, trigger finger press instead of a thumb, but if that’s the case for right handed shooters than it’s more easily understood also. Short story long, I can’t just go out and buy whatever I want on a whim with every new toy so I try to keep myself from getting too excited about it unless it’s something “wow” must have.

This makes more sense to me than the G43X. With the 43X, you get a subcompact slide with a G19 long handle. What's the point then with even bothering with the subcompact slide/barrel if you have the option of the G48 that is essentially the same gun with a longer barrel and better sight radius? If the handle is the hardest part to conceal, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to make the subcompact handle longer.

Instead of trying to innovate magazine design, they just made it longer. Lazy. And at the same time, they removed backwards compatibility for mags and holsters. No luck using those G43X mags in your G43. Still, people will flock to this thing like its the best thing since sliced bread because Glock.

Sig figured out how to make 10 rds fit into a gun that is smaller than the original G43. While the P365 is far from perfect, it does go to show how a company is actually trying to innovate, not just make larger/smaller versions by simply changing handle and barrel lengths.

If I was into appendix carry, I’d prefer the 43x as the shorter slide is less likely to dig into my upper thigh / crotch area when sitting down. For strong side carry, I agree that I’d take the 48 instead.

If I was into appendix carry, I’d prefer the 43x as the shorter slide is less likely to dig into my upper thigh / crotch area when sitting down. For strong side carry, I agree that I’d take the 48 instead.

That's a good point. I also may have to eat my words a bit, as I didn't realize a G19 handle is more or less the same length as a Shield 9mm with an extended mag, and those aren't terrible for concealment. Just seems longer in my mind for some reason. Maybe a thin G19 length handle on a 43X might make sense after all.

Glock just sent out a press release on the G43X and G48.

They said something about Canadian regulations regarding size and the G48.

I am of the opinion that the G48 was to serve this market.

I have trouble at times concealing my G43 grip.

The G43X will make the problem worse.

I prefer the G43 with Taran Tactical mag extensions.

I'd rather have 7 or 8 rounds of good concealment than 10 in a G43X or G48.

Going up to a G43X or G48 - you might as well get a G19 and have 15 rounds since the size is not too far off.

For those of us already carrying 10 + 1 in a Glock 19, a narrower 10 + 1 Glock 48 has some appeal. If I lived in a free state, yes, I’d carry the 19 and deal with the width.

(Yes, I know the arguments about the uncertainty identifying preban Glock mags. Some folks are comfortable carrying them. I’m not comfortable carrying any prebans other than U-notch, which I won’t use due to non-drop-free. So I carry post-ban 10 round mags.)

I love the S&W Shield because of the thinness of it's grip.
It fits my hand better than any double stack magazine sized hand gun and it shoots lights out for me.
Now living in Mass. and having to submit to a 10 rd magazine, choices are limited in pistol selection.
That is why a Glock 19 size single stack pistol would appeal to me.
Concealed, it is a longer slide. But it should fit my hand better and therefore I hope it would shoot more accurately for me.
I'll wait till I know Glock has the bugs out of it. Then order a frame and slide separately to complete the pistol.

Maybe I’m just a cranky old f*** but I just don’t get the need to jump up and spend (in MA 600.00+$) for every new thing that comes out just because it gives me 2-3 more rounds. Must be a rich mans game.

Couple spare TT+3 mags for the 43 and I’m very comfortable with that for daily needs. I’ve carried daily for 30yrs, everything from G19’s to 1911’s, love them all, but to me the 43 is the perfect carry pistol in weight, size and reliability.

I agree about the 43. I've watched all of the crap that Glock pumps out with these minor variations, and rarely get excited... even though I'm a Glock guy. I did dump my 17 and 19 for a pair of G45s, and absolutely love my 43 for EDC. I like the idea of the 48, and probably would have bought it before I had the 43. I run NDZ +2 baseplates, did a few other upgrades, and am just REALLY happy with it, so I won't be indulging in anything else single stack from them.

That's a good point. I also may have to eat my words a bit, as I didn't realize a G19 handle is more or less the same length as a Shield 9mm with an extended mag, and those aren't terrible for concealment. Just seems longer in my mind for some reason. Maybe a thin G19 length handle on a 43X might make sense after all.

If I carry my G42 with the SI +2 mag, it's probably G19 grip length but conceals much better cause it's thinner. 43X is gonna be fatter than my G42 though so we'll see.

It's nice to have more options.

... they removed backwards compatibility for mags and holsters. No luck using those G43X mags in your G43. Still, people will flock to this thing like its the best thing since sliced bread because Glock. ...

Well, there you have it. It will sell, and so will accessories (mags and holsters). Money, money, money. Can't blame them for that, only yourselves.

I laugh at the whole groove/nogroove thing. How about all those "Glock Sock" rubber grips to add the finger grooves? I have one, and like it a lot. It only adds 2 bumps, so it isn't totally forcing you to hold it a certain way.

It'll never be a "single stack G19". [laugh] Then it would cease being a G19.

Nothing will ever be a G19 but a G19, as far as I'm concerned god came down and told gaston about how to make one and insisted he came up with the idea on the 9th day...

The G19 is on its own island. Nothing can compare to it, nothing can surpass it.

-Mike

I'm not even a Glock guy and I have a Gen2 G19. It's my only 10+ capacity handgun, and probably the only one I'll ever own. You're absolutely right in that it is the perfect general purpose handgun. The only other Glock I own is the G42. That gun is sort of useless in once sense, being so big for a .380 in the era of micro-380's. But on the other hand, it very well could be the best handling, best shooting, most reliable .380 pistol ever made. Mine was made after all the kinks were worked out and has been a great little summer carry gun, for when I can't carry an actual gun. It has eaten all factory ammo, FMJ and HP, that I've fed it without issues. Even my reloads run through it just fine (minus a few light primer strikes with CCI primers, and that's no big surprise).

I'm not even a Glock guy and I have a Gen2 G19. It's my only 10+ capacity handgun, and probably the only one I'll ever own. You're absolutely right in that it is the perfect general purpose handgun. The only other Glock I own is the G42. That gun is sort of useless in once sense, being so big for a .380 in the era of micro-380's. But on the other hand, it very well could be the best handling, best shooting, most reliable .380 pistol ever made. Mine was made after all the kinks were worked out and has been a great little summer carry gun, for when I can't carry an actual gun. It has eaten all factory ammo, FMJ and HP, that I've fed it without issues. Even my reloads run through it just fine (minus a few light primer strikes with CCI primers, and that's no big surprise).

I had a G42. Right up until they came out with the 43. I was mildly annoyed, maybe at myself. If I'd known that they were coming out with the single-stack 9 I'd have waited. It's basically the same size, but 9mm. Talon wrap, Tru-Glo sights, trigger, Pearce+1 mag and it's an awesome concealed carry gun.

I had a G42. Right up until they came out with the 43. I was mildly annoyed, maybe at myself. If I'd known that they were coming out with the single-stack 9 I'd have waited. It's basically the same size, but 9mm. Talon wrap, Tru-Glo sights, trigger, Pearce+1 mag and it's an awesome concealed carry gun.

I did do the smart thing on the Sig micro gun scene... Never bothered with the P238, and bought the P938 not long after they came out. That is my main summer carry gun now, and the G42 only occasionally rides on the hip. Usually if I'm going to be doing some serious sweating/ getting filthy/ or need something extremely light to carry on a long hot day hike. And even then there doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot of difference in weight between the P938 and G42. Probably because most of the year I've got a Colt full size 1911 on me.

I did do the smart thing on the Sig micro gun scene... Never bothered with the P238, and bought the P938 not long after they came out. That is my main summer carry gun now, and the G42 only occasionally rides on the hip. Usually if I'm going to be doing some serious sweating/ getting filthy/ or need something extremely light to carry on a long hot day hike. And even then there doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot of difference in weight between the P938 and G42. Probably because most of the year I've got a Colt full size 1911 on me.

My wife's got the P238, they're nice guns. I had the hardest time moving her to a 9mm. Finally got her to think about it by giving her my Kimber 9mm Target II when she started getting interested in USPSA/IDPA. When she found that the recoil was negligible, we could start working with smaller 9mm for carry. She kept her collection of 380's, but she's got a Honor Guard that's a really nice carry gun. That's a well made micro 9 that doesn't get a lot of press.

Not for MA as the option for prebans remains. Probably optimized for NJ and maybe CA, etc that are actually restricted to 10 rds.
While we may know how to get prebans, a lot of people don't care enough, don't have the money, or are just plain scared. For all of them, the availability of preban mags is moot, and a pistol with a design max of 10 rounds is valuable. This is especially true if they have smaller hands, and so gain benefit from the narrower grip.

I have said for a while if a gun manufacture made a slim "full size" it would be a hit. Easier to carry and better control. I know women who aren't regualrly into shooting have issues with the width of the standard handgun.

Its called a cz p09 super thin grip for 19 rounds

Back
Top Bottom