"Glocked" Brass question.

1903Collector

NES Member
I need a brief break from all the gun politics going on so I have a question. I know on .40/10mm cal glocks you get a bulge on the brass from the case not being fully supported but does this condition occur with 9mm and 45 as well? If it does does anyone make a die to correct? I have the Redding die for 40/10mm and it works great.

Also whats the deal with lead bullets in Glocks..bad/good? Yes/no? From what I understand it has something to do with the polygonal rifling. FMJs are getting even more expensive so if I could shoot lead out of them it would be cheaper.

Thanks,

The bulge problem doesn't seem to be as bad (or exist at all) with 9mm Glocks - at least I don't see it. You can get an undersized sizing die from Evolution Gun Works (EGW) to correct it if you see it. I just use a regular sizing die for all my 9mm, even the stuff that's fired in my Glock.

Glock (and others) recommend against using lead because of the polygonal rifling. With that said, lots of people shoot lead bullets in Glocks. If you make sure they're sized properly and the correct hardness, you shouldn't have a problem. If you want more info, you might want to PM Gammon. IIRC, he's mentioned several times that he shoots lots of lead bullets in his Glock(s), and he knows a lot about lead bullets.

I use the Lee FCD with the Bulge buster insert for my 10mm brass.

Bulges can happen in any gun lacking chamber support. My S&W Pro Series 1911 9mm leaves worse bulges in 9mm than my Glock in 10mm.

If brass that was previously fired in an usupported chamber and was a little out of spec made it through the reloading process and into another poorly supported chamber, what are the chances of some sort of kaboom?

If brass that was previously fired in an usupported chamber and was a little out of spec made it through the reloading process and into another poorly supported chamber, what are the chances of some sort of kaboom?

Low, but higher than if it wasn't.

`
I use the Lee FCD with the Bulge buster insert for my 10mm brass.

Bulges can happen in any gun lacking chamber support. My S&W Pro Series 1911 9mm leaves worse bulges in 9mm than my Glock in 10mm.

I did notice the bulges on my 10mm loads were greater than on factory stuff, but my reloads were hotter than factory as well.

`

I did notice the bulges on my 10mm loads were greater than on factory stuff, but my reloads were hotter than factory as well.

Usually the way it goes. Not many "factory loads" are true 10mm loads, but closer to the FBI lite load. Hornady's XTP ammo is middle of the road at best, and you don't see the super hot nuke loads unless you are buying from Underwood, Doubletap, etc.

Your handloads would likely be in the higher end of the safe loading range, so therefore would likely be higher than every day factory loads.

My son and I shoot nothing but lead in 9mm, .40 and .45 Glocks. The .45 outshot a Sig p220 and a Colt 1911 shooting lead.

I see no bulge from my 21.
i have run lead without a problem but switched to Berry's platex when I found it for nearly the same price. Now smoke is almost non existent.

If you like Berrys, try xtreme plated. They're a I'll bit cheaper and all are double struck. That's all I use now.....

I use an aftermarket KKM Precision barrel in my G27.
It has a fully supported chamber and conventional rifling.
I can shoot lead reloads all day long without worries and no more bulged brass.

I use KKM barrels as well for my 10mm Glocks

I have an extended barrel for my 10mm hunting rig, and it is very nice, and with Underwood 200gr XTP rounds at about 1250fps, there is no brass bulging, although I do see some primer flattening.
I did have some feed issues in the same KKM with the 220gr lead HC Flat nose.

ETA: I do love this barrel, and I will be buying standard length barrels for my 10mms

Last edited:
I use an aftermarket KKM Precision barrel in my G27.
It has a fully supported chamber and conventional rifling.
I can shoot lead reloads all day long without worries and no more bulged brass.

I use KKM barrels as well for my 10mm Glocks

I have an extended barrel for my 10mm hunting rig, and it is very nice, and with Underwood 200gr XTP rounds at about 1250fps, there is no brass bulging, although I do see some primer flattening.
I did have some feed issues in the same KKM with the 220gr lead HC Flat nose.

ETA: I do love this barrel, and I will be buying standard length barrels for my 10mms

Sounds like this is something I will need to look into! where did you guys get them from?

Back
Top Bottom