• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

*UPDATE 4/8* Goin on 4 months and still at “local pd”

My wife just got her renewal, took 6 months.

I just submitted my renewal (expires in Sept), he told me right up front it would be at least 6 months.

Very green town, just very slooooooow green town.

My wife just got her renewal, took 6 months.

I just submitted my renewal (expires in Sept), he told me right up front it would be at least 6 months.

Very green town, just very slooooooow green town.

Something is not right, I renewed last fall, 6 weeks from my appointment to when an officer delivered my LTC to my house.

Something is not right, I renewed last fall, 6 weeks from my appointment to when an officer delivered my LTC to my house.
There are others that have reported long wait times in some towns, no doubt it is the local PD's not the state.

In my case it is a very small town with a shared PD that has office hours every other Monday night for 2 hours. Most calls in this area are answered by MSP.

I know there are some that say call them and complain but everybody knows everybody around here. Being a PITA is not going to help, it will only make things worse.

There are others that have reported long wait times in some towns, no doubt it is the local PD's not the state.

In my case it is a very small town with a shared PD that has office hours every other Monday night for 2 hours. Most calls in this area are answered by MSP.

I know there are some that say call them and complain but everybody knows everybody around here. Being a PITA is not going to help, it will only make things worse.

"a right delayed is a right denied"

Another update!!!!! Just as i suspected! My file was never sent up to the chief for approval. It’s been sitting in licensing since December. The kid that threatened to put me to the back of the line for checking in February must have done just that. Another officer found it this am sitting on the desk. Apologized for the “clerical error” said they do 2500 a year and it’ll be another month or two!! I knew something was up just didn’t want to believe it.

I would be on the phone right now to a good 2A attorney, GOAL, Comm2A or all of them. At a minimum I'd want to be moved to the front of line. Another month or two is not acceptable when it has already been 4+ months.

I'd be looking for the name of the "kid" that threatened and apparently sent you to back of the line. Once I got the name I'd try to jam him up for something. Of course I'm old, have money and plenty of time to follow up and while I'd rather not piss off local LEO they are screwing you so treat them the same way, with utmost contempt.

I would be on the phone right now to a good 2A attorney, GOAL, Comm2A or all of them. At a minimum I'd want to be moved to the front of line. Another month or two is not acceptable when it has already been 4+ months.

I'd be looking for the name of the "kid" that threatened and apparently sent you to back of the line. Once I got the name I'd try to jam him up for something. Of course I'm old, have money and plenty of time to follow up and while I'd rather not piss off local LEO they are screwing you so treat them the same way, with utmost contempt.
I agree with you. I know who the kid is we are half ass acquaintances. I have an email with comm2a and will be looking for an attorney as well. Anyone have any recommendations?

My town is the same as far as police coverage, we have less than 1200 people.

I agree with you. I know who the kid is we are half ass acquaintances. I have an email with comm2a and will be looking for an attorney as well. Anyone have any recommendations?
Do the world a favor and choot that kid!!

Which means WPD sat on it for 3 months or so before they submitted to FRB.

Last time I renewed, in Bedford, I submitted about 10 weeks early. My mircs receipt was dated the day before the LTC expired. Actual delivery on new LTC was about 12 weeks after expiration.
No. WPD submitted it by 1 month later (around Dec in a batch) as I called FRB to confirm on Dec.9 (renewal here).

"a right delayed is a right denied"
And sometimes your delayed right can turn into a denied right if you work hard enough at it. Remember who decides if you are deserving or not.

Yea I know, you can hire an attorney to get your right back, but I prefer the less expensive angle. I don't care how long it takes as long as I know in advance and can plan accordingly.

I don't care how long it takes as long as I know in advance and can plan accordingly.
that’s the point though, you don’t always know in advance. If the PD tells you 2 months and it ends up taking 10, that’s not proper advance notice.

And sometimes your delayed right can turn into a denied right if you work hard enough at it. Remember who decides if you are deserving or not.

Yea I know, you can hire an attorney to get your right back, but I prefer the less expensive angle. I don't care how long it takes as long as I know in advance and can plan accordingly.
I get it trust me. Do I really want to get involved with suing the police department that I have a lot of friends at? Because one di ck head decided to pull a power tri and fk with me? Nope. But I also dont like being stepped on and treated like an a**h*** when I have always been respectful

that’s the point though, you don’t always know in advance. If the PD tells you 2 months and it ends up taking 10, that’s not proper advance notice.
See post #62.

We are told up front that it will be 6 months. If someone is told upfront what the waiting time will be and does not plan accordingly, then that is on them just as much as it is on the PD.

Last edited:
I get it trust me. Do I really want to get involved with suing the police department that I have a lot of friends at? Because one di ck head decided to pull a power tri and fk with me? Nope. But I also dont like being stepped on and treated like an a**h*** when I have always been respectful
Suing? I'd start with contacting the office of your state rep.

Welcome to MA and the s*#t show that is otherwise known as "Firearms Services".

Your story is not an unfamiliar one. I do wish you the best and hope you get your LTC sooner rather than later.

Same here....small town of like 4k people small police force. I know the clerk personally.

LTC exp in May. Renewal Applied in late January....got LTC in Mid March. 6 weeks.

Will likely be my last MA LTC anyway.

I just got mine in Wilbraham 40 days after fingerprints 53 days after application drop off
I have a buddy in Wilbraham, he gets his fairly quick also. He is of course surprised at my wait times up here.

But he has no place to shoot in Wilbraham, so he comes up here. The small town 6 month wait sucks, but it is nice to be able to shoot guns off of my deck. :)

Another update!!!!! Just as i suspected! My file was never sent up to the chief for approval. It’s been sitting in licensing since December. The kid that threatened to put me to the back of the line for checking in February must have done just that. Another officer found it this am sitting on the desk. Apologized for the “clerical error” said they do 2500 a year and it’ll be another month or two!! I knew something was up just didn’t want to believe it.
Told you, they threaten people if you call before you are told to call.

These dudes throw the 2,500 licenses excuse but they have time to keep track of what dates they promise people? ... anyone that does that is not busy.

2,500 is not even 7 per day. Let's assume they only work week days, that is still less than 10 per day. How long does each take? ... 10 minutes per LTC?... probably less.

So, the 2,500 number is sh*t.

Last edited:

These dudes throw the 2,500 licenses excuse but they have time to keep track of what dates they promise people? ... anyone that does that is not busy.

2,500 is not even 7 per day. Let's assume they only work week days, that is still less than 10 per day. How long does each take? ... 10 minutes per LTC?... probably less.

Exactly. Even if we bump it to 20 minutes per, that is still a reasonable amount of time per day.

cop: The applicant called several times and was clearly, increasingly agitated way out of proportion to the situation. This tendency, if he was armed, would represent a clear threat to public safety.
And that quick you are unsuitable.
And now you get to pay for a lawyer to appeal it, which you will lose the first time around so be sure your ready to pay for the long haul.

So decides now, do you want the LTC, or do you want to be right.

Your expecting way too much productivity from town, state and government employees who have zero accountability because 90% of the state is in a blue area.

1 a day is probably the quota.......

Even though I live in the 10% red zone and get my license very easily and before the 40 day limit...in most cases........I so can't wait to be out of here and not have my 2A rights tied to a permission slip given by a government official.

I have a buddy in Wilbraham, he gets his fairly quick also. He is of course surprised at my wait times up here.

But he has no place to shoot in Wilbraham, so he comes up here. The small town 6 month wait sucks, but it is nice to be able to shoot guns off of my deck. :)
There's a few places within 20 mins to shoot around wilbraham but yes, ideally would like private property to do so. Hope the ltc comes quicker than anticipated

Back
Top Bottom