• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Local Dealers who Sell on Consignment Through GunBroker?

It's not always the case. I sold an old Mosin and SKS way more on consignment than what was the rate here. Even with the commission I still made more than what o would of on NES. There are definitely exceptions.
you have to figure when posting here you're selling to a (slightly?) more informed buyer than you might find with the lowest informed foot traffic at a shop. Also a better chance of an impulse buyer versus a skinflint that peruses the classified 24x7. just my 2 cents.

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. Consignor sets the price, not Carl. You get your price less his consignment fee. If you sell outright you usually only get 50% anywhere.
When Carl calls yuu to tell you he has a buyer negotiating on the price on the gun…

Maybe not half. But unless they pay asking, it will be more off.

I’d never bother with consigning a gun.

When Carl calls yuu to tell you he has a buyer negotiating on the price on the gun…

Lol if you are getting those calls you overpriced the gun.

Maybe not half. But unless they pay asking, it will be more off.

It's 18-20%

I’d never bother with consigning a gun.

There's circumstances where it's a great idea, others where it sucks. On average it will get you money faster, and if the shit breaks its the buyers problem not yours.

Selling your guns sucks and i typically only did it under duress. The goal is to pay the bill or whatever it is your chasing. Consignment can help you do it faster. Especially if its weird shit that has no privsale appeal but might sell in a gun shop.

@chris_1001 I've even had a few consignment guns that even after the 15-20% vig on them I broke dead even. My seecamp was like that, a kahr mk9, and a rem 1100 tactical.... i consigned all of those and got out clean, market conditions at the time favored sellers. But that is ancient history. I rarely sell anything now unless it's to a friend.

@chris_1001 I've even had a few consignment guns that even after the 15-20% vig on them I broke dead even. My seecamp was like that, a kahr mk9, and a rem 1100 tactical.... i consigned all of those and got out clean, market conditions at the time favored sellers. But that is ancient history. I rarely sell anything now unless it's to a friend.
Ok. I’ll concede.

I’ve known a lot of dealers that will low ball your price, charge 20% and then call you to sell cheap so they can get a quick flip.

But my sample size is small.

Ok. I’ll concede.

I’ve known a lot of dealers that will low ball your price, charge 20% and then call you to sell cheap so they can get a quick flip.

But my sample size is small.
As many issues as I have with DTE/FS, they don't do this. Carl tells people to set a price. As a matter of fact FS used to have famous consignments that were there for years, like that f***ing Mini Uzi he had there for $2400 because the owner was a psycopath and stood firm on the price. That gun was on consignment for over a decade. I shit you not. 🤣

If a shop is constantly nagging you to reduce your price you either set it poorly, or the shop sucks.

As many issues as I have with DTE/FS, they don't do this. Carl tells people to set a price. As a matter of fact FS used to have famous consignments that were there for years, like that f***ing Mini Uzi he had there for $2400 because the owner was a psycopath and stood firm on the price. That gun was on consignment for over a decade. I shit you not. 🤣

If a shop is constantly nagging you to reduce your price you either set it poorly, or the shop sucks.
I always negotiate when buying used. I’m expecting them to include some wiggle room for negotiations.

Willing buyer meets a willing seller less 15-20%.

I always negotiate when buying used. I’m expecting them to include some wiggle room for negotiations.

Willing buyer meets a willing seller less 15-20%.
I try to just avoid inflated sellers period. It makes things infinitely easier.

I don't bother absent rare exceptions. If someone is out of their gourd I just skip the buy. One time I did negotiate a $1200 HK down to $900. But I was armed with 4 things......

-The gun was shelf rotting.... his add was open for 3+ weeks at that point. (If you can't sell a common gun in a week, you way way way overpriced it)

-I was nice about it. There's ways to write an offer without appearing as a skinflint.

-I showed my math and asked him to meet me in the middle.

-I knew the guy was decent because he was friends with another mod here.

Otherwise if the price is plausibly realistic and I want it I /just buy the thing. / Nickel diming it isn't in my DNA. If you're not getting hundreds off, it doesn't amount to shit anyways. I'd rather have the seller respect me for the relative pittance. On the flip side, I've also had a couple shitty skinflint buyers try to renege on the firm price when closing. I told them to politely f*** off. The price is the price, it's well curated and researched. if you're not paying then im taking my gun home. 🤣 out of those like 5? People they all paid. Because even though they were faggot skinflints they ultimately knew better. 🤣

I don't bother absent rare exceptions. If someone is out of their gourd I just skip the buy. One time I did negotiate a $1200 HK down to $900. But I was armed with 4 things......

-The gun was shelf rotting.... his add was open for 3+ weeks at that point. (If you can't sell a common gun in a week, you way way way overpriced it)

-I was nice about it. There's ways to write an offer without appearing as a skinflint.

Otherwise if the price is plausibly realistic and I want it I /just buy the thing. / Nickel diming it isn't in my DNA. If you're not getting hundreds off, it doesn't amount to shit anyways. I'd rather have the seller respect me for the relative pittance. On the flip side, I've also had a couple shitty skinflint buyers try to renege on the firm price when closing. I told them to politely f*** off. The price is the price, it's well curated and researched. if you're not paying then im taking my gun home. 🤣 out of those like 5? People they all paid. Because even though they were faggot skinflints they ultimately knew better. 🤣

I find random things.

All are “unique”

An educated buyer here.

Not getting sucked into the hype.

Lots of people are sitting on $800-1000 gen 2 Glocks.

Two weeks! (After the new bill)

Nickel diming it isn't in my DNA

Nickle diming isn't in my DNA either, however with 90% of the people on this (and other boards) it IS in their DNA. I have always priced my stuff fairly. VERY fairly. And I've never made a dime on anything I've sold. I've also learned a lesson that everyone wants a deal. Even when I price an item fairly, buyers want something off to make them think they got a deal. If I want $600 for a gun, buyers invariably offer $500-$550, even thou the $600 is a really good deal. I've now smartened up and ask $650 for the gun knowing that someone will offer me $600. Human nature I guess.

YMMV

Nickel diming it isn't in my DNA

Nickle diming isn't in my DNA either, however with 90% of the people on this (and other boards) it IS in their DNA. I have always priced my stuff fairly. VERY fairly. And I've never made a dime on anything I've sold. I've also learned a lesson that everyone wants a deal. Even when I price an item fairly, buyers want something off to make them think they got a deal. If I want $600 for a gun, buyers invariably offer $500-$550, even thou the $600 is a really good deal. I've now smartened up and ask $650 for the gun knowing that someone will offer me $600. Human nature I guess.

YMMV
I've never had to move for that and more often than not I would challenge them with numbers I'm like "that's the price because it was already well calculated to not be shit. " 🤣 having to enter to negotiation to get to the price you wanted originally is mind numbing to me. It's easier to just price it appropriately and not play games. "$100 under new retail avg" is where you start at and that usually prevents any whining. A lot of people (not saying you do this btw) don't price a used gun correctly relative to the market a used gun buyer is going to want to save at least a hundred bucks otherwise they feel like they're wasting their time unless it's like something that's special or rare.

I've never had to move for that and more often than not I would challenge them with numbers I'm like "that's the price because it was already well calculated to not be shit. " 🤣 having to enter to negotiation to get to the price you wanted originally is mind numbing to me. It's easier to just price it appropriately and not play games. "$100 under new retail avg" is where you start at and that usually prevents any whining. A lot of people (not saying you do this btw) don't price a used gun correctly relative to the market a used gun buyer is going to want to save at least a hundred bucks otherwise they feel like they're wasting their time unless it's like something that's special or rare.
True. But when I decide to sell a gun, I want it sold, not bumping it 5-6-7 times or more. If that means taking $50 off now or staying firm and selling it in 4 or 5 weeks, I'll bite the bullet and take the $50 off instead of dicking around....

Back
Top Bottom