Going to Maine for a weekend. Can I bring a gun?

I'll be going on a trip to Maine next weekend. I will not be hunting and I do not have a hunting license in ME, nor do I have a ME concealed carry license.
I want to bring a gun just for protection around the cabin and land we will be staying on. I would transport it with me locked in its case in the trunk of my car. We will be in a cabin on 50 acres of land.

Is what I want to do legal in Maine? Must I be licensed just to possess a gun in ME or is the license just for CCW like NH? Also if I chose to bring a handgun could I open carry legally in ME or is that illegal/frowned upon?

I don't want to violate any laws and as a last resort I will call the ME state police before I go.

From what I've read, I believe you can. You just cannot conceal it. OC is legal in ME. Your mileage of harassment is inversely proportional to how far north you are.

I don't know if in a car is open or concealed.

Is what I want to do legal in Maine?

Must I be licensed just to possess a gun in ME or is the license just for CCW like NH? Also if I chose to bring a handgun could I open carry legally in ME or is that illegal/frowned upon?

I don't want to violate any laws and as a last resort I will call the ME state police before I go.

Yes it is legal to bring a gun into ME as long as you can legally own it. There is no such thing as a gun permit in Maine. Open carry is legal... but in some parts of Maine (mostly the parts closer to MASS) it may attract attention. But open carry on your 50 acres would not cause any trouble (Although you might get tagged for illegal hunting by a game warden). There are also no laws regarding the gun being locked in the trunk. Without a CCW the gun cannot be loaded but it does not have to be locked in the trunk. But..... if it is not in the open then you could get tagged for illegal concealed carry... so perhaps the trunk is a good idea.

In any case.... this is just my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it. SO, if you want to read ME laws yourself the previous thread I list a link to Maine laws.... have a good weekend in the greatest state in NE.

Back
Top Bottom