Good Book By Kuhnhausen?

So decided to spring for a .45 manual or two and one of the ones that I picked up was "The Colt .45 Automatic: A Shop Manual Volume 1" by Jerry Kuhnhausen. I got it because I think I am going to start up on the 1911/Clones craze. I know people. Once started, its all downhill, but thats a risk I am willing to take! That being said I was going to use this book to familiarize myself with one of the greatest small arms ever invented, and use it to help do my first build! If anyone has heard anything about this tome, please feel free to let me know if its any good. I will 'prolly karma it in a few years once I feel I have juiced it for all its worth.
Thanks in advance to all.

Every manual that Kuhnhausen writes is well worth the money and will definitely further your knowledge of the firarm it covers. If you ever plan on doing your own work, they are probably required reading.

I have vol II and it's a must have book for anyone looking to do more than just simply swapping out the grips on their 1911.

login, ever look at volume 1? I read reviews for both and most seemed to indicate that vol.1 was a better manual than 2, although people did note that v2 had better images for walking people through things. Once I start getting all the tidbits I will catalogue my adventure of the build and post for all to see. Now where did i put that seed money....[smile]

I have Vol 1 & 2 of Kuhnhausen's 45 books, and they're both worth it. If I remember correctly, Vol. 1 is mostly basic function operations, with some modification sections, and Vol. 2 mostly modifications and improvements. It's been a while since I've done any 1911 work.

I also picked up his Remington Shotguns, US .30 Service Rifles, Mauser Rifles, and S&W Revolvers. While each does get into firearms specific details, there is also a lot of information that can be applied anywhere. I like 'em.

login, ever look at volume 1? I read reviews for both and most seemed to indicate that vol.1 was a better manual than 2, although people did note that v2 had better images for walking people through things. Once I start getting all the tidbits I will catalogue my adventure of the build and post for all to see. Now where did i put that seed money....[smile]

Nope.

I bought it through Brownells a number of years ago (I had been planning on doing an 80% 1911 build at the time).

I decided on Vol II based on the short description of each manual
and differences between the two described by KMM696.

Thanks for all the input!

seems most of the work on 1911's (I may be WAY off base here) Appear to be just cleaning some rough edges and lots of parts polishing, and spring kits. Seems very few parts actually need to be reshaped or "cut". Guess I should buy a few spare parts for those that I need or want to fiddle with. Ah, also if i get a buncha pieces hard chromed, frame, slide, barrel, will the inside of the barrel actually retain the chroming? I would think friction in a short amount of time would do a number? Can anyone speak from experience?

Thanks all for the input it appears that it will be a worthwhile buy!

Back
Top Bottom