• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good day to hit the Range

Two days from now marks four weeks from rotator cuff surgery. I was told ten weeks until i can shoot a match. Went to the range today to see how much work i have to do.

Ended up shooting 7 mags before swapping to the ar. So 154 rounds.

From seven yards, starting with holstered pistol, hands “relaxed at sides”, (uspsa).

1 - draw and put one shot on target. Sub-second consistently.

2 - draw, one shot on target, transition, one shot on second target. Most 1.6 to 1.8. Couple just over 2

3 - draw, two on target, transition, two on target. Sub 3 consistently.

I tried a couple of raised hands facing uprange - slow and yanked the shot. Shoulder’s not ready for that.

14 shots outside of the down zero. 11 of them i called as i shot them.

I’m not unhappy. Much further along than I thought I’d be at this time.

IMG_4972.jpeg

Rotator cuff surgery four weeks this past Tuesday. Shot a USPSA match today, first match since the end of January, almost 3 months.

Good news is that I didn't suck. Too badly.

114 Alphas
25 Charlies
2 Deltas
3 Mikes and one FTSA, (yeah, that's where two of the mikes came from)

Need to practice now that I can shoot, need to move faster, I was sloppy. Time off from shooting shows.

EDITED

I've had a chance to look in depth at my stage scores. Movement is definitely still the issue, I take too long to shoot the stages.

We had two static stages, and I did okay on them.

One - facing three targets, draw and put three in the body, one in the head; Virgina (limited).
10 alpha, 6 charlie in 6.11 seconds.
Probably should have taken a little more time, four of my body shots were an inch below the A-zone.

Two - "El Presidente" classifier - Facing away from three targets, turn, draw, 2 on each, mandatory reload, 2 on each; Virginia (limited).
10 alpha, 2 charlie in 9.16 seconds, same problem with shooting low and my reload sucked.

Last edited:
Hit the range after work to try out/break in my new AR22. It's a Bear Creek Arms 22 upper on a dedicated lower I built for it. Magpul grip and CMC 2.5 lb drop in trigger. Here's the specs on the upper. BC-22 | .22 LR Right Side Charging Upper | 16" Black Nitride Heavy Barrel | 1:16 Twist | Blowback Gas System | 15" MLOK
SKU: 9007N-UASCH22LHB16116M-15M3

BCA1.jpg BCA2.jpg

Ran it wet as they suggest and the good news, about 250 rounds without a hiccup. Phew, that was my biggest concern. I ran 4 different types of ammo and 4 different mags.

BCA3.jpg BCA4.jpg

Accuracy varied with the different ammo, but as the clouds rolled in and skies opened I got one 10 shot group off with the Federal auto match. About an inch at 25 yards,(ignoring the low one i figure was my fault) so not great, not awful, but I have some good SK and Eley I'll try next. The exciting part is it ran perfect. Jury is out on whether it's Appleseed worthy but if not, I think it did pretty good.

BCA5.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom