Good Muzzle Brake for AR-15

Open up the exit hole on the DD. It will get rid of the dip

+1
It will reduce the pressure in the last chamber, forcing less gas out the top port.

- - - Updated - - -

for a "tune-able" compensator, check out the effin-A comp. reasonably priced, and gets good reviews.

I put a Griffin Armament flash/comp on my rifle and like it fine.

The OPs comp is tunable. Drill it out with incrimentally larger bits until it stops dipping.

Here is the reality. Any effective comp is going to be loud. If you want to actually have the most effective comp look at what the 3 gun guys are using. If you look at the SJC Lund Titan or the Benny Hill Rolling thunder comps, you are looking at two of the best.

The Miculek is a great value at about $35.

The only comp comparison that even gets close to being "scientific" was done by USPSA's Front Sight magazine about 4 years ago. Here it is:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829785/AR15-Compensators-pt-2

With all that said, the ferfrand looks interesting. It actually makes sense. The race style comp directes the gasses sideways. The shroud slows down and diffuses the gasses.

Last edited:
It's not as loud as the Nordic comp I have on another or the mickulek comp.I don't know of any effective comps that are quiet especially if you're on the side of them.[smile]

Except that it causes ear rape. The FSC will punch you in the nuts on every shot if its on an SBR. [laugh]

Now for the 10 year felony question...Would this be legal on a post-ban AR, with the brake itself pinned and the outer threads left usable?

Why would you even ask. The law is clear: iv. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

The threads are on the brake. Not the barrel. And its not designed to accommodate a flash suppressor.

At that price, its a no brainer. I'm going to buy one for my pre-ban 10.5" SBR that currently wears a Miculek style POF brake. It is VERY LOUD.

I'll report back.

Can you distinguish between a true flinch and a post-ignition push, which happen a few hundredths of a second from each other? A flinch is revealed by where the bullet hits. The dummy round trick will do more harm than good when you try to "fix" a harmless post-ignition push.

I must say I can not as I never heard the term post ignition push...... either way it seems to be a anticipation and reaction to the gun functioning ?. I do not try and fix a flinch ot give people tips. Its just fun to see how much people anticipateand react. I just figured that maybe after you install a brake and eliminate muzzle flip your post ignition or flinch might be more noticeable.

Why would you even ask. The law is clear: iv. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

The threads are on the brake. Not the barrel. And its not designed to accommodate a flash suppressor.

At that price, its a no brainer. I'm going to buy one for my pre-ban 10.5" SBR that currently wears a Miculek style POF brake. It is VERY LOUD.

I'll report back.

I believe they are referring to the external threads on the brake, which could then accept a silencer, which I thought was a no no.

See THIS thread here.

I believe they are referring to the external threads on the brake, which could then accept a silencer, which I thought was a no no.

See THIS thread here.
This.

Additionally, there was some question (another thread from here I located Friday but can't find it at the moment) as to whether a permanently attached muzzle would be considered part of the barrel.

i believe permanently attaching the brake makes it part of the barrel bc the reason to permanently attach the brake is to in a way not have the threads on the barrel be used for anything else.

This.

Additionally, there was some question (another thread from here I located Friday but can't find it at the moment) as to whether a permanently attached muzzle would be considered part of the barrel.
So are saying these are a no go? What if both the brake and the shroud were both pinned?

So are saying these are a no go? What if both the brake and the shroud were both pinned?

I believe but cannot confirm that they are a no go. There are multiple sources talking about permanently attached muzzle devices being considered part of the barrel, and thus threading constitutes a "threaded barrel." I do not have sources handy at the moment and I'm not about to reproduce the two hour Google dig that I did before asking the question.

In the course of the search, however, I did find several indications that flush-cutting the pistol grip to prevent it from protruding "conspicuously below the action" of the rifle. An unpinned FH would still be two evil features (threads, FH), so I intend to run this brake an a non-pistol-gripped AR. See http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/252130-multiple-AW-related-questions?p=3972318.

Back
Top Bottom