goose: it's what's for dinner

tomorrow-- [laugh]

whether or not i make the kill, i am always stuck dressing [laugh]

jan09010.jpg

jan09009.jpg

jan09012.jpg

jan09013.jpg

Good job plucking TG. I would loose the leather gloves though and buy some of the cheap cotton gloves that have the fingers and palms dipped in rubber. Not even pin feathers can resist those gloves. Enjoy dinner, Canada Goose is one of my favorites.

yep - loose the gloves

and for goose I just pluck a strip along the breast bone to see where I'm starting - cut a vert strip and start to skin out the breast area - it gets kinda intuitive after a few

ducks on the other hand - pluck them clean, no soaking/water - scorch the hairs and gut

good luck

How did you pluck it so clean??? and what tools do you use?

I had a snow goose last time but gave up plucking and just breasted the bird.

i ripped the feathers out by hand-- well actually with gloves on--

it sucked.

i want to get a plucker-- the one they sell for drills.

i ended up burning the little down fuzz after plucking for 25 mins after these pics.

goose season is almost over so gotta get it while we can! [sad2]

At the Danvers Fish & Game Club game supper last month, there was a "Hunter's Stew" made with "Migratory Marsh Chicken" - read: goose.

It was delicious.

BTW... why aren't you telling the BF "You killed it, you clean it"?

Hot water method works pretty good for the stubborn feathers.

If you have a home hair waxing kit, that will work wonders for the tiny ones you can't grip with your fingers.

it doesn't really taste like anything other than goose-- it is really good! [laugh]

i am not trying to be funny-- it just does not taste like chicken and is hard to compare with anything

i thought about breasting it, but i really wanted to use the new goose stuffing recipe i have.

i ended up letting it sit another day, so we are going to eat it tonight!

hopefully he will bring home another tonight... then tomorrow, we are spending some time goose hunting together... what better to do on valentines day than to hunt?? [laugh]

What does goose taste like?

I think Canada Goose has a bit of a roast beef flavor, the texture of the meat is finer but its similar. The birds I shoot in Maryland are awesome on the table. A late season salt marsh bird around here can get a bit gamy, mostly like you left a piece of liver in a lobstermans bait bucket but marinade and bacon make everything good.

how they taste depends on where you get them--they taste like what they eat.

i like getting them from grassy areas, rather than from sea water areas, as they can taste fishy like that

hopefully he will bring home another tonight...
Tell him not to set up his blind near a field full of sh*t this time [wink]

then tomorrow, we are spending some time goose hunting together... what better to do on valentines day than to hunt?? [laugh]
On one hand that is just awesome... on the other hand, not so awesome. A little bit of [smile] meets [sad2]

Hope you guys enjoy another bigbird and have a great Valentine's day.

he is on his way home-- hopefully getting a grass eater this time [laugh]

who needs a blind when you have perfectly good hay wagons and tractors to hide behind? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom