• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOP calls for broader gun rights, unlimited clips

...If they want a civil union with the same benefits as marriage, I'm all for it....

"Marriage" is a religious term. It is one shared by multiple religions, but government has nothing to say about the issue any more than ...
The problem was getting government involved in this arrangement at all. ...

That is why I support a civil union WITH ALL THE BENEFITS OF TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE! ...

They don't want civil unions they want marriage. No! You can't pollute the word. It's religious and you don't get to change that to something you like.

Except,Civil unions never have the same benefits of marriage. If you don't believe me,look it up.

Isn't marriage about making kids in some religions? (Catholic? Other?)

You've never heard of tyranny of the majority have you? That's what these people experience. That's why gay marriage hasn't passed into law. Unfortunately, they don't realize civil rights aren't something to vote for.

This is why we have our form of government. They don't need YOU to recognize anything. They need the government to recognize their marriage. Why do we need to create yet ANOTHER legal entity to fill up our law books? If a civil union is for all intensive purposes marriage why do we have to hire 1000 government leaches to write more hack laws? At one time people were saying blacks couldn't marry whites because it would pollute the ideal of marriage. That didn't turn out so bad.

Words don't belong to anyone. Otherwise we could sue the Republicans and Democrats for neither supporting republicanism or democracy.

I mean, if you have the word 'marriage' trademarked let us know.

That is why I support a civil union WITH ALL THE BENEFITS OF TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE! I've always supported that. But that doesn't seem good enough for the homosexuals. They don't want civil unions they want marriage. No! You can't pollute the word. It's religious and you don't get to change that to something you like.

*cough*

I can solve this whole debacle right now.

Government should have no say in what people decide to do with each other. Whether they marry, unite civilly, unite with a cockatoo, or unite with a blow-up doll of the chick from Star Wars... They have no dog in the fight. Period. This includes defining words.

Oh, and I'd like to add a token "Piss on the GOP!" as well.

That is why I support a civil union WITH ALL THE BENEFITS OF TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE! I've always supported that. But that doesn't seem good enough for the homosexuals. They don't want civil unions they want marriage. No! You can't pollute the word. It's religious and you don't get to change that to something you like.

So, if any church decides to call a union between a gay couple marriage, it's marriage then?

Reform Judaism defines same-sex unions under the marriage umbrella.

*cough*

Government should have no say in what people decide to do with each other. Whether they marry, unite civilly, unite with a cockatoo, or unite with a blow-up doll of the chick from Star Wars... They have no dog in the fight. Period. This includes defining words.

I do not disagree there but until we change our current condition of marriage-under-law we need to have all people equally represented. After that, let's abolish government involvement period.

If we can accomplish that in one swoop then let's do it. Unfortunately, there are far too many lawyers in America.

Last edited:

According to your view though,the word marriage is religious so since I'm not a religious person,my marriage to my wife is not valid? Also we don't want children but most folks like you believe that marriage is for procreation. Is our marriage not valid due to this fact too?

According to your view though,the word marriage is religious so since I'm not a religious person,my marriage to my wife is not valid? Also we don't want children but most folks like you believe that marriage is for procreation. Is our marriage not valid due to this fact too?

Don't be an ass.

mar·riage/ˈmarij/

Noun: The formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

That's what marriage is. It doesn't say anything about "you gotta make some kids". It's a formal union between a man and a woman that's marriage. Not man and man or woman and woman or man and goat or man and camel or woman and goose.

I don't want that definition changed.

Don't be an ass.

That's what marriage is. It doesn't say anything about "you gotta make some kids". It's a formal union between a man and a woman that's marriage. Not man and man or woman and woman or man and goat or man and camel or woman and goose.

So where did you get that definition? Websters? Is Websters a church?

Again, what happens when a major branch of Judaism defines same-sex-unions as marriage?

I'm not being a brick about this, I'm being honest.

There's no reason for any level of gov't to have anything to do with social structures like marriage period. It should be against the law for any level of gov't to even ask, let alone track, make laws about or tax.

The entire discussion in ludicrous. Stop using the state to push your personal beliefs on others.

Oh, and the GOP can kiss my ass. We all know they have absolutely no intention of repealing any laws on guns. They're just blowing smoke as usual. Wake me up when they want to scrap BATFE, hang everyone who ever worked there and repeal '68 and '34.

Last edited:
Can you read? I said

What part of that don't you understand?

I don't give a crap about what two adults commit to in a relationship. I do give a crap about what it's called. I don't want the word Marriage polluted. That word is part of our tradition and heritage. It's always meant a man and a woman joined in commitment. The 1.2% want to change that definition and I say No. Again (please pay attention) If they want a civil union with the same benefits as marriage, I'm all for it.

mar·riage/ˈmarij/

Noun: The formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

Oh, I understand it now. its ok with you as long as its on your terms. got it.

Don't be an ass.

Im not trying to be willie but there are people that do believe just what I wrote.

As per http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/marriage

mar·riage
noun \ˈmer-ij, ˈma-rij\

Definition of MARRIAGE

a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage> b: the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c: the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage

: an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially: the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities

: an intimate or close union <the marriage of painting and poetry — J. T. Shawcross>

See marriage defined for English-language learners »

See marriage defined for kids »

Examples of MARRIAGE

It was his second marriage.
They have a very happy marriage.
Her first two marriages ended in divorce.
She has old-fashioned ideas about marriage.
couples living together before marriage
Many friends and relatives were present at their marriage.
a priest who has performed many marriages
a marriage of sweet and spicy flavors
a marriage of science and art
a marriage between form and function

Origin of MARRIAGE

Middle English mariage, from Anglo-French, from marier to marry
First Known Use: 14th century

Related to MARRIAGE

Synonyms: conjugality, connubiality, match, matrimony, wedlock

[+]more

Other Sociology Terms

bourgeois, ethos, eugenics, exurb, incommunicado, intelligentsia, megalopolis, metrosexual, mores, subculture

Rhymes with MARRIAGE

carriage

Learn More About MARRIAGE

Thesaurus: All synonyms and antonyms for "marriage"

Spanish-English Dictionary: Translation of "marriage"

Britannica.com: Encyclopedia article about "marriage"

Browse

Next Word in the Dictionary: marriageable
Previous Word in the Dictionary: Marrano
All Words Near: marriage

*cough*

+1

I was taught by a monk that the first marriages where between two kings.....
it wasn't till much much later that word was changed.

Just wanted to throw that out there take it as you want

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Walther p38 made early 45
Remington sportsman58 12g
Early type 99.

Let me make this perfectly clear.... I don't give a crap what you do as long as it doesn't infringe on my rights. If you want to call it marriage then call it marriage. I don't care what you call it. But it's not marriage no matter what you want. It never will be. But feel free to call it marriage.

I'm not disputing the fact that they can call it whatever they want. Just don't force me to recognize it as traditional marriage. But that's what they want, they want to force me to call it traditional marriage and I say No. And I won't be bullied by 1.2% of the population. They don't have sufficient numbers to alter the conversation.

I support them to be free to do whatever they want to do but they cannot have the word marriage. If they want something other than a civil union then let them make up a word for it. Leave the word marriage alone. It doesn't belong to them.

NO.... What they want is all the shit that is defined by law and ignorant organizations as benifits for those who are "married" like going to visit a dying loved one in a hospital, but they aren't "married" and they aren't immediate family so the hospital locks them out. Or spending 40 years with someone, having them pass away and not.getting the same social security benefits as any other widow/widower because they don't cover "civil unions" or not being able to get a family rate on health insurance because they cover married people, not this bullshit civil union invention.

No one cares about your definition of marriage, they care about how institutions in this country define marriage to exclude them and their rights, but I guess my post isn't going to convince you to not be an ignorant was either..... If you don't agree with gay marriage, fine.... Don't get into one.....

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

ETA:

But feel free to call it marriage.

gee... that was quick.....

Last edited:

Something that fails over 50% of the time is already polluted. Why are you so obsessed with the word marriage? Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound like one of those homosexuals that is always trying to make gay marriage legal.

"I don't care what anyone does, as long as they use the right label for what they are doing" [rolleyes]

Last edited:
"The shooters in Colorado and Arizona used large-capacity weapons capable of firing many rounds quickly."

When did the size of the magazine control how fast each round could be fired? Maybe those guys doing competitive shooting should switch to 30 round mags to get the rounds off faster.

ive been wondering this same thing since Colorado. "well the rifle held 100 rds which increases its rate of fire to 60 rounds per minute".....etc....etc. Apparantly they miss the whole part about being SEMI AUTOMATIC They are Anti they think the shoulder thingy that goes up makes something an "assault weapon"

ive been wondering this same thing since Colorado. "well the rifle held 100 rds which increases its rate of fire to 60 rounds per minute".....etc....etc. Apparantly they miss the whole part about being SEMI AUTOMATIC They are Anti they think the shoulder thingy that goes up makes something an "assault weapon"
They have obviously never tried a semi auto mag dump with one of these things. They actually slow you down.

In addition to jams, your finger gets tired pretty quick. That is why I he to upgrade. [laugh]

Let me make this perfectly clear.... I don't give a crap what you do as long as it doesn't infringe on my rights. If you want to call it marriage then call it marriage. I don't care what you call it. But it's not marriage no matter what you want. It never will be. But feel free to call it marriage.

I sort of gravitate towards this line of thinking. Call it whatever you want, doesn't bother me one bit.

The bottom line is that us conservatives, and conservative-leaning folks, should understand that the state shouldn't be involved in marriage period. That includes traditional, hetrosexual marriage, or alternative forms of marriage.

Conservatives rightly say, "if you don't like it, don't buy it". Well that should include alternative marriage. Don't like it? Don't do it.

There's no reason for any level of gov't to have anything to do with social structures like marriage period. It should be against the law for any level of gov't to even ask, let alone track, make laws about or tax.

The entire discussion in ludicrous. Stop using the state to push your personal beliefs on others.

Oh, and the GOP can kiss my ass. We all know they have absolutely no intention of repealing any laws on guns. They're just blowing smoke as usual. Wake me up when they want to scrap BATFE, hang everyone who ever worked there and repeal '68 and '34.

What he said.

The GOP is a BS ploy to get votes here. If they really wanted do push this through, why not attach it as a rider to some other bill that must pass, like a budget? It seems like both parties alway manage to pull that BS for a bunch of other things.

The GOP is a BS ploy to get votes here. If they really wanted do push this through, why not attach it as a rider to some other bill that must pass, like a budget? It seems like both parties alway manage to pull that BS for a bunch of other things.

Must pass like the budget? We haven't had a budget in years. Thank you Dingy Harry.

Why are you so obsessed with the word marriage?

Because this has been a part of our heritage for centuries. For centuries marriage has been between a man and a woman. Now we have a very vocal 1.2% of the population that wants to change that definition. Why? Do you feel they are right and the definition should be changed after centuries? I'm sorry they sound like special little cupcakes that are stomping their foot to get the "toy" that they want. They are acting like children. They want the Adult to bend to their whims. It's OK to say NO to children. This is one of those cases where the child needs to be told NO! You don't get the "toy". Learn to live with it.

Again, I will reiterate. I fully support CIVIL UNIONS that CARRY ALL THE RIGHTS OF TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE. I always have and always will. But it will never be marriage to me.

If you don't like my position, don't worry I'll be dead in a few years and it won't matter anymore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom