Gorsuch Confirmed to Supreme Court

The Dems will do a "Weekend at Bernie's" if anything happens to RBG. Hopefully, the first time Trump goes to SCOTUS, they need to ask RBG to recuse herself based on her comments made during the campaign. Never happen, but can always hope.

I don't know why they went to the mat on a guy that won unanimous approval (by some that voted no this time) when he was appointed to the appeals court.

A lot of the D's were pissed off about the Garland nomination being shut down and this was payback for them.

The vote was 54-45 with Heitkamp, Manchin, and Donnelly joining the repubs. For some reason Isakson (R, GA) didn't vote.

The vote was 54-45 with Heitkamp, Manchin, and Donnelly joining the repubs. For some reason Isakson (R, GA) didn't vote.

Those Dems are probably up for re-election in 2018 and in danger of being beaten.

Today in honor of Neil Gorsuch being confirmed, I'm doing somethin I haven't done in at least the last 8 years. I'm lighting a nice Cohiba that I got in the Grand Caymans, to celebrate this momentous occasion. I have 2 more stashed away that I hope to light in the next 4-8 years. The USSC should be safe for the things I believe in for my lifetime. Thanks President Trump.

Definitely a great win for now, but remember - it will be just as easy for the Dem's to ram their candidate through when they eventually have control of the senate and presidency (should they be presented with an opening). Let's hope another liberal leaning SCJ retires very soon to give us some more buffer.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. This.

We're also dismantling our government and going, in a very direct way, against what the founders wanted.

It's good that Gorsuch got confirmed. He's a good judge and will likely be good for 2A rights. We won the battle.....but by further dismantling the government to do it we're not winning the war.

We're also dismantling our government and going, in a very direct way, against what the founders wanted.

It's good that Gorsuch got confirmed. He's a good judge and will likely be good for 2A rights. We won the battle.....but by further dismantling the government to do it we're not winning the war.

i see no issues with dismantling an entirely over inflated govt

We shouldn't have had to , but we're not dealing with people who play the game fair .
I have more hope for the future than I've had in a long time at the moment.
If the wicked bitch of the west had won, I don't think we would have recognized this country ten years from now.
We'll see what the future brings.

Glad to see the filibuster gone. Either, return the filibuster back to the days when they needed to stand and talk to keep the floor or be done with it and take away veto power from the minority in the Senate.

Definitely a great win for now, but remember - it will be just as easy for the Dem's to ram their candidate through when they eventually have control of the senate and presidency (should they be presented with an opening). Let's hope another liberal leaning SCJ retires very soon to give us some more buffer.

The Democrats never had any problem getting their nominees appointed. The GOP always gave the sitting Democratic president his Justices, even far left wackos like Kagan and Sotomayer. It's the Democrats who fight tooth and nail to keep the GOP's more conservative nominees off the bench. Remember Bork, Alito, Thomas, and now Gorsuch? With any luck Trump will be able to replace Ginsberg who is 87 with a Scalia clone setting the tone of the SCOTUS for years to come.

This. Dems started down this path when they realized they could not get their agenda via the voting booth and uncle Ted borked Bork.

The Democrats never had any problem getting their nominees appointed. The GOP always gave the sitting Democratic president his Justices, even far left wackos like Kagan and Sotomayer. It's the Democrats who fight tooth and nail to keep the GOP's more conservative nominees off the bench. Remember Bork, Alito, Thomas, and now Gorsuch? With any luck Trump will be able to replace Ginsberg who is 87 with a Scalia clone setting the tone of the SCOTUS for years to come.

Exactly....republicans act like total pussswads when in power. If I was McConnell I would be stomping Schumer and Pelosi literally.

I'm glad he's in, but I hate this move. Now the Dems can do the same thing... and they will.​

They've already done it. Who do you think started this whole 'nuclear option?' The republicants wouldn't have had the balls to do this if it hadn't been done before.

They've already done it. Who do you think started this whole 'nuclear option?' The republicants wouldn't have had the balls to do this if it hadn't been done before.

I wish they'd stop ****ing about at this point and just give the dims exactly what they got under Obama. Dims had no qualms about using this option.

we need Trump t make at least two more picks.....that would end the dems stupidity until long after I die.

Well, this is a new twist...

61 Senators sign letter to preserve filibuster rules

Washington (CNN)A bipartisan group of 61 senators sent a letter to Senate leaders Friday urging them to maintain the 60-vote threshold for filibusters involving legislation, which they said is needed to ensure bipartisanship remains a component of passing bills through the chamber.
The move comes in the wake of a contentious battle this week in the Senate over the confirmation of Neil Gorsuch when the Republicans who control the chamber used the "nuclear option" to neutralize the filibuster for nominees to the Supreme Court.
"We are writing to urge you to support our efforts to preserve existing rules, practices, and traditions as they pertain to the right of Members to engage in extended debate on legislation before the United States Senate," said the letter that was spearheaded by GOP Sen. Susan Collins of Maine and Democratic Sen. Chris Coons of Delaware. "Senators have expressed a variety of opinions about the appropriateness of limiting debate when we are considering judicial and executive branch nominations. Regardless of our past disagreements on that issue, we are united in our determination to preserve the ability of Members to engage in extended debate when bills are on the Senate floor."

Snip.....................................

The signatures of 28 Republicans, 32 Democrats and one independent is evidence that a broad mix of senators will back the filibuster for legislation.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/07/politics/senate-filibuster-rules-letter/index.html

We all better keep our fingers crossed...

How Gorsuch can transform the Supreme Court

But there are a whole swath of issues where little is known of his jurisprudence. Indeed, he has never ruled squarely on Roe v. Wade, the Second Amendment or same sex marriage. He hasn't done a lot on voting rights issues or the death penalty. But the White House and conservative groups take comfort that he shares the same judicial philosophy of Scalia. Like Scalia, Gorsuch believes the Constitution should be interpreted based on its original public meaning. Conservatives believe that could solidify his position on the right wing of the bench.

Snip.....

The court could also take up a case that asks whether the Second Amendment allows citizens to carry concealed handguns outside the home for self defense.
Conservatives are frustrated that the court hasn't taken up a major Second Amendment case since Scalia's landmark decision in District of Columbia v. Heller holding that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to hown a gun in the house for self defense.
Other cases are still at the appellate court level, but could make their way to the court in the coming weeks and months.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/07/politics/gorsuch-transform-supreme-court/index.html

Its sickening how the dems hammer the gop appointees on overturning roe v wade (a court decision) and yet they salivate at the thought of appointing justices that will nullify the 2A... in addition to any other part of the constitution they consider an obstacle to their goals rather than a framework in which to govern

I think the Democrats were stupid for fighting Gorsuch so hard. He is was an exemplary candidate and a fitting replacement for Scalia returning to the court to a similar balance it had before. What they should have done is hemmed and hawed publicly but ultimately let the vote happen without filibuster and then plant their stake if a potential 2nd appointment is made if Ginsburg kicks it in the next four years.

[thumbsup]

Yup we need Ruthie to give up the ghost now.
Wonder how long it will take now for Trump to start correcting the democrat attack on the 2nd?

How about all we pitch in and get her a ticket to the hunting preserve that Justice Scalia enjoyed?

I don't see what the Ds were thinking behind this anyway. He was confirmed 99-0 for the lower court, so now because Rs didn't hold a hearing on a D nominee (exactly what Biden said to do when Bush was in office IIRC) they suddenly have such problems with the nominee that he shouldn't be confirmed? Other than hurt feelings they have no leg to stand on objecting to the guy, and the optics on this are horrible. They've screwed this up for everyone. But look in the mirror and take the blame - not the D way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't see what the Ds were thinking behind this anyway. He was confirmed 99-0 for the lower court, so now because Rs didn't hold a hearing on a D nominee (exactly what Biden said to do when Bush was in office IIRC) they suddenly have such problems with the nominee that he shouldn't be confirmed? Other than hurt feelings they have no leg to stand on objecting to the guy, and the optics on this are horrible. They've screwed this up for everyone. But look in the mirror and take the blame - not the D way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Dems are childish whiners. You cant expect to have an adult conversation with any of them.

Two things:

1) hoping that Hardiman gets into SCOTUS sooner vs. later.

2) Kolbe needs to be heard in front of SCOTUS for their next session - preferably with a Justice Hardiman so that the pimp hand can rule strongly in favor of the 2A.

the dems have been whiny sore losers and will continue to act this way. This guy is a legal giant but like all other Trump nominees they will block and delay. So who gives a fck. They lowered the threshold for nominees and what did not think it would happen to them? You reap what you sow

If Trump can get even one more conservative on the court, as far as I'm concerned he could call it a day and it would still be a win for this country.
Wonder if the anti Trumpers here will find a reason to bitch if when our cases against Maura get to the SC and it's a solid conservative majority ?
Probably.

Filibustering is dumb anyway. It should be simple majority rule. That way they better serve the will of the people, who voted them in. If the people don;t like it, vote for the other party next time.....

Back
Top Bottom