Got my ammo storage permit today

Even though I don't (currently) exceed the 10,000-round thresholds for either rimfire or centerfire ammo, I decided to go get my permit today at my local Fire Dept, as I'm thinking about getting into reloading.

The permit application and approval process was a complete non-issue. I showed up during business hours, talked to the clerk, explained what I wanted, took one minute to complete the application, signed it, gave them a $10 check, and went home. The permit is good for two years. I wasn't asked how much ammo I had or why I needed the permit - I just got it.

So I went home, permit in hand, logged onto Midway USA, and looked at primers - out of stock. Bullets - out of stock. Presses - they don't carry Dillons. Sheesh...

Even though I don't (currently) exceed the 10,000-round thresholds for either rimfire or centerfire ammo, I decided to go get my permit today at my local Fire Dept, as I'm thinking about getting into reloading.

The permit application and approval process was a complete non-issue. I showed up during business hours, talked to the clerk, explained what I wanted, took one minute to complete the application, signed it, gave them a $10 check, and went home. The permit is good for two years. I wasn't asked how much ammo I had or why I needed the permit - I just got it.

So I went home, permit in hand, logged onto Midway USA, and looked at primers - out of stock. Bullets - out of stock. Presses - they don't carry Dillons. Sheesh...

Unfortunately Midway will not ship primers, bullets, powder or brass to Ma.

Is it not wonderful that you can feel relieved and satisfied that you "passed" the ammo process? Now that you have "passed" and are "certifiably qualified" to have a quantity of ammo...getting it is a different matter. [wink]
Sorry, no offense to you, but I just feel that these types of laws are just pure and simple bullshit.[grin]

Yup just a Mass thing. I have been pondering if I may need to get one. Will any firehouse in my town do, or would it likely be a special one somewhere?

Yup just a Mass thing. I have been pondering if I may need to get one. Will any firehouse in my town do, or would it likely be a special one somewhere?

Go to wherever the chief is...maybe even call ahead to see if he's because he's probably the guy who has to sign the permit.

One of the reasons I got the permit is because I recently found out that, without a permit, ammo has to be stored in a locked container. What a stupid, nanny-state law. Seems to me ammo and reloading supplies would be more of an explosion hazard if they were locked up in a tight metal box or cabinet than if they were sitting on a shelf.

Go to wherever the chief is...maybe even call ahead to see if he's because he's probably the guy who has to sign the permit.

One of the reasons I got the permit is because I recently found out that, without a permit, ammo has to be stored in a locked container. What a stupid, nanny-state law. Seems to me ammo and reloading supplies would be more of an explosion hazard if they were locked up in a tight metal box or cabinet than if they were sitting on a shelf.

And who monitors? If you say nothing and do nothing (permit-wise), who knows what you have? Guess I just generally object to the whole idea.[grin]

storage?

Are you saying with a storage permit ammo can be left out and unlocked?[shocked]

Do you guys have any freedoms left?

What the heck happened down there? I grew up in Billerica but left in 1994 to move to Florida. Moved back north and came to NH a few years ago.

What the heck happened down there? I grew up in Billerica but left in 1994 to move to Florida. Moved back north and came to NH a few years ago.

Its a slow, insidious process. Thankfully RI is not yet this bad....and slowly folks are starting to wake up.

Well I just scratched my butt just now, and no one came and took me away. So, yes. But, not many.

I was wondering if this permit mattered any when it came to homeowner's insurance. If the house burned down and they discovered 10,001 charred cases, could the insurance company deny the claim even if the fire had nothing to do with ammo?

Well I just scratched my butt just now, and no one came and took me away. So, yes. But, not many.

I was wondering if this permit mattered any when it came to homeowner's insurance. If the house burned down and they discovered 10,001 charred cases, could the insurance company deny the claim even if the fire had nothing to do with ammo?

Yes...but....how do you know what will happen later this week? You scratched your butt without the proper environmental safety permit? You had no butt scratching license? Did you take the necessary precautions to ensure that no scratch residue would pollute the environment?

Don't get scared, but you might be paid a visit later this week from the butt scratching control squad. [rofl]

Dang it... I knew it was a bad idea to have a web cam permanently attached to my PC. I just know they are watching me through it.

Back
Top Bottom