Greetings from Attleboro!

Hey NES!

Just dropping this new thread to introduce myself and hopefully become more familiar with the forum! Ive lurked on here for the passed month or so. And ive also heard very good things about the members and activity on here. Im taking my NRA Basic Pistol course on Saturday the 8th at Tactical Dynamics Firearms Training in Foxboro and needless to say im pretty excited.

I do plan to apply for my Class A LTC upon completion. Im a strong believer in our Second Amendment Right as Americans and im eager to be able to practice and enjoy shooting at the range and to effectively provide protection for myself and my home. Friends of mine have gone shooting with friends and family before and ive always heard about how much fun it is!

Ive already began to read into some of the provided knowledge on the forum (im an active member on other forums as well) and id like to say that i am very interested in learning as much as i possibly can about anything and everything! im eager to take different defense classes and training courses so that i am confident with a firearm.

any advice or suggestions is very much appreciated! im trying not to get too ahead of myself here. so i guess this is where ill cut this off, but im excited to be here and look forward to meeting some of you in person!

Thanks man! Cool to be a part of the site. It seems to be pretty active. Does anyone have any recommendations on classes to be looked at after acquiring a Class A?

Last edited:
That class looks awesome. Exactly what id like to dive into first. Do you know if there will be more classes in the future? Or is it a one time seminar?

Welcome and good luck with the LTC
Go green and get in on even more of the "good things".
I am next door to Attleboro

One class that I am looking into but just haven't scheduled yet is by a NES member, LenS:
Mass. Gun Laws By and For Non-Lawyers
http://home.comcast.net/~safety-instructor/site/?/page/MA_Gun_Law_Seminar/

Thanks for the recommendation. So what's holding you up for scheduling it? [wink] [laugh]

That class looks awesome. Exactly what id like to dive into first. Do you know if there will be more classes in the future? Or is it a one time seminar?

Check my website for details. It took me 6 months to create and has undergone 16 revisions to date to keep up with changes in case law, "re-interpretations" by our enemies, etc. I'm tryng out a new approach and instead of my scheduling classes and trying to fill them, I'm allowing the students to do the scheduling (factoring in my availability and classroom availability) . . . it becomes a 1-on-1 class this way (unless you bring friends). I've also proposed doing this at some gun clubs in W. MA, the North Shore, a RI club, etc. but nothing has been scheduled yet. Just got back from vacation and am discussing the possibility of doing this at Kittery Trading Post and again at Manchester Firing Line . . . both of which are unlikely until Spring as we can't predict Winter weather and it's a long drive for me to head up there.

Please use Email off my website instead. Can't search PMs and thus I can't manage them at all, plus they max out much too frequently. I think I was averaging 2-4 incoming PMs each day I was on vacation and my Wife is pissed at how much time I was online!

------------

As for simulator training it certainly has its place on "shoot-don't shoot" judgmental practice. However most scenarios would land one in jail in MA for even trying to get involved, so the practicality in such a state is limited.

After some experience shooting on a square range a good next step is NRA"s Personal Protection series . . . first Personal Protection in the Home and then Personal Protection Outside the Home (NRA requires PPIH prior to PPOH). They are not your typical NRA courses and have some good move to shoot practice drills to learn from (PPIH-2.5 hrs range time, PPOH-~3.5 hrs on 1st day and ~5.5 hrs on 2nd day) as well as lots of good info on self-defense in the state the course is given in, how to not become a target, how to harden your house, situational awareness issues, etc. I teach both these courses and the class size is kept small. I'm teaching PPIH this Sunday and again on November 4th. PPOH won't be taught until Spring as we need >6 hours of daylight for the Sunday shooting drills (all shooting is outdoors).

Thank you LenS for the additional info on the class. I will absolutely be sending you an email in the near future. I completed the NRA Basic Handgun course yesterday with Tactical Dynamics Firearms Training. I honestly can't say enough how much I was pleased with that class. It turns out that both of the instructors are local police officers near my town and both were veterans one toured in Desert Storm and the other had toured in Iraq recently and became an officer after serving 4 years.

they did a fantastic job covering the material, covered the basic need-to-know laws to get started and allowed for plenty of range time with exposure to a few different caliber of firearms. Which was awesome. Some other friends of mine took a course, paid around the same as I and didn't get as much exposure. From never handling a firearm before this was crucial to me so I could get a true feeling for different firearms.

Granted this was only an introductory class, Im confident that if I'm privileged enough to receive an LTC that I wont have an issue with selecting a firearm that is right for me and practicing safe handling and operating at the range.

That's cool man! Hello to a local!

Im gathering my materials to apply for my Class A this weekend, does anyone have some helpful advice for when I'm gathering reference letters, writing a reason letter, or during the application process? I've read that Attleboro has been a stickler in the past for unrestricted licenses.

hey Vipp!

you from Attleboro as well?

little update for anyone whos reading. Submitted my app this morning (10/18/12) the clerk told me my appointment is on 11/21/12!! then it takes what? another 8 weeks after that to receive my letter?

Back
Top Bottom