Groundhogs

asp

NES Member
I live next to a golf course and the owners have asked me to take them out when I see them but to stick to 22 if possible because it's quieter than .223 or others. Got my first one yesterday with my 10/22. I snuck up from behind a tree for 200 yards crossing a field and nailed it from 30 yards in the lungs and it just flopped over. Clean kill, dead in seconds. The thing that shocked me was that there was no exit wound. If I was much further away I don't know that it would have been as clean a kill. What's the max effective range of a 22 on a woodchuck/groundhog? 50 yards?

Pics or it didn't happen, right?

6q1mJWm.jpeg

Surprised you could sneak up on the little guy. They are very wary and spook like nothing.
Funny you should say that. I was working from home, saw that it was out on the driving range, and went out there with my bow. I tried to sneak up on it and couldn't get within 40 yards before it ran off. I came back and ran into the owner. He said "Oh, well you can use a gun next time." Me: "Even during business hours?" him: "Yeah, just something small like .22" You don't need to tell me twice!

I went back to working, but I can see the driving range from my couch. Wouldn't you know the little f@cker came back about an hour later, like they always do, and I went out with my 10/22. The wind was blowing pretty hard and I was downwind, so I think I had that to my advantage too.

I've had one that lives just off my property in the Town conservation land. Since I stopped being anal about having a lawn, I have lots of dandelions. The little guy usually waddles in a few times a day to eat the yellow flowers when they're out.

I've had one that lives just off my property in the Town conservation land. Since I stopped being anal about having a lawn, I have lots of dandelions. The little guy usually waddles in a few times a day to eat the yellow flowers when they're out.

I have one in my back yard. I call him Woodie. He's pretty upset about this thread.

Not sure which I hate more... groundhogs, or dandelions.

I hit one with a shovel last summer and my uncle hit one with a 2x4. They are EVERYWHERE at my place and cause a lot of damage wherever they decide to dig.

CCI Velocitor is a popular choice for groundhogs, however looking at a fresh box, I suspect CCI is cutting corners on current production, lots of dented hollowpoints.

Maybe there's a ballistic vest under that fur.
Not far from it. Dudes are all muscle.

... stick to 22 if possible because it's quieter than .223 or others. Got my first one yesterday with my 10/22. I snuck up from behind a tree for 200 yards crossing a field and nailed it from 30 yards in the lungs and it just flopped over. Clean kill, dead in seconds. The thing that shocked me was that there was no exit wound. If I was much further away I don't know that it would have been as clean a kill. What's the max effective range of a 22 on a woodchuck/groundhog? 50 yards? ...

I'd say 50-75 yards would be good for .22 for groundhogs.

Or, try this:
About 29,800 results

You can eat both. Woodchuck is better tasting.

Isn't woodchuck=gopher=groundhog?

I hit one with a shovel last summer and my uncle hit one with a 2x4. They are EVERYWHERE at my place and cause a lot of damage wherever they decide to dig.

Did either one of you get a passthrough?
:)

You would if you used a pitchfork!

CCI Velocitor is a popular choice for groundhogs, however looking at a fresh box, I suspect CCI is cutting corners on current production, lots of dented hollowpoints.
Aside from this batch, I'd lean towards Velocitors or maybe even the Yellow Jackets.

Back in the 70's and early 80's we shot bushels of them on the farm. We didn't own a scoped gun so my favorite was a Mossberg .22 target rifle that belonged to my uncle. It had a really nice peep sight on it and I could nail those buggers way out there from the dike of our pond....

When I was older we used to cruise around in my buddies pick up truck in the evenings...3-4 guys with all types of gear, .270, 30-30, 22mag, whatever we had. If you spotted one out in the hayfield or down a lane you'd tap roof of truck and we'd pull over to take the shot....fun times!

.22 hollow point should do the job out to 100 yds no problem...

Isn't woodchuck=gopher=groundhog?

According to a quick internet search (and everything on the internet is true)...

Groundhogs and woodchucks are the same animal. The gopher is different as they live mostly west of the Mississippi. They are smaller than the groundhog. They live most of their lives underground eating roots and tubers. They do not hibernate like the groundhog does. Groundhogs live in the eastern and southern states. Both species can cause considerable damage by their digging.

Got another one over the weekend and figured out where they live. I dressed this one. Going to try cooking and eating it. We'll see how it is. Their hide is almost as thick as deer. Not what I expected out of something that size.

I ended up with 5 deer in bow-range at one point too, while I was on the ground looking for ground hogs. Wished I was holding my camera not a gun for once.

According to a quick internet search (and everything on the internet is true)...

Groundhogs and woodchucks are the same animal. The gopher is different as they live mostly west of the Mississippi. They are smaller than the groundhog. They live most of their lives underground eating roots and tubers. They do not hibernate like the groundhog does. Groundhogs live in the eastern and southern states. Both species can cause considerable damage by their digging.

Sorta on the same note as a Catamount, Mountain Lion, Cougar, panther, Jaguar, Puma, I think there are a dozen names for those cats depending on what part of the country you are in,

Dean

On the same note, for those who were asking me, what rifle or caliber is being used in that entertaining ground hog video, it is a 300 WSM with a 15 twist barrel shooting 110gr Vmax's at over 4150 FPS, don't try this at home were trained professionals.

Dean

I grew up dirt poor and things like groundhog, squirrel, beaver and deer were regularly on the menu.

I don't see what the big deal is about eating them (or why some of you think you have to eat coyote just because you shot it)

CCI Stingers were a popular bullet to take care of woodchucks back in the day.

Back in the late 1970s I interviewed with TI in Lubbock TX. They have a "tourist site" that is a groundhog farm there. Not kidding . . . mounds all over the place, unreal. Don't know if they were protected there or not.