Groundhogs

There was one inside a rock pile. I nailed it in a very narrow window with my bow... and it backed up and died in its hole, with my arrow out of sight. Hopefully they build that rock wall soon [laugh]

Q: What do you call a dead woodchuck?

A: A Goodchuck!

I used to shoot them out the window with a shotgun. If I didn't, then we had no garden and flowers. They are very destructive to agriculture.

Back in my home state (MO) there are a few animals that are shoot on sight with no questions asked, and no cares given by anyone. Groundhogs are one, coyotes another, and to a lesser extent raccoons. Groundhogs cause all sorts of damage to crops, property, livestock etc.

Looking for CCI Quiet-22 Segmented HP subsonic

Back in my home state (MO) there are a few animals that are shoot on sight with no questions asked, and no cares given by anyone. Groundhogs are one, coyotes another, and to a lesser extent raccoons. Groundhogs cause all sorts of damage to crops, property, livestock etc.
That's basically the situation in NH with coyote and woodchuck. Unlike in Missouri, coyotes are an invasive species in New Hampshire. At least you still have a few wolves out there to help reduce the population.

I have a garden woodchuck problem and need to find some subsonic (Quiet).22. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
CCI makes the best subsonic, they even call one product "Quiet 22".

---Updated---

Unfortunately, the subsonics are not a one-shot stopper on an adult woodchuck, IMHO you really need something more like Velocitor if you want a humane kill.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you live in MA, so I won't recommend a suppressor or mail order supplier

The problem is I cant find any
I just got back from at Acme in Londonderry, lots of .22 rimfire on the shelf, everything except subsonic (many boxes of Velocitor, which is what I recommend for Woodchuck). Single boxes of 22LR subsonic show up sporadically at the stores in Hooksett, including Aguila SSS.

I'd rather use a big bore airgun on a woodchuck than torture one with subsonic rimfire sub-lethal rounds.

Last edited:
I just got back from at Acme in Londonderry, lots of .22 rimfire on the shelf, everything except subsonic (many boxes of Velocitor, which is what I recommend for Woodchuck). Single boxes of 22LR subsonic show up sporadically at the stores in Hooksett, including Aguila SSS.

I'd rather use a big bore airgun on a woodchuck than torture one with subsonic rimfire sub-lethal rounds.

No torture 1 shot 1 kill at less than 50'

Screw subsonic. I've been shooting at a chuck that's been decimating my garden for months. No BS, I've shot at it with a 9mm 1911, 3 rounds from my garage loft with an ar15 that I had just put together(unsighted in) took a shot with my .380 as it ran by, and just couldn't connect with the .22 (shooting those crappy AE .22...one ftf every 12 rounds). Finally my kid comes down and asks if he can have the next shot. I says yep, go around the side of the house and take about a 60 yd shot or he'll see you. I grab the mutt so she doesn't go crazy when she sees a gun, and my kid shows up with his 30-30. Slips out onto the rear deck and takes the shot at 40 yds. "Got him". Just about cut the thing in half. Then he asks me if I'm disappointed that I won't have anything to shoot at?

You've been øwned. Your kid rocks. I do think 700 ftlbs might be a weeeeeee overkill, though.
Screw subsonic. I've been shooting at a chuck that's been decimating my garden for months. No BS, I've shot at it with a 9mm 1911, 3 rounds from my garage loft with an ar15 that I had just put together(unsighted in) took a shot with my .380 as it ran by, and just couldn't connect with the .22 (shooting those crappy AE .22...one ftf every 12 rounds). Finally my kid comes down and asks if he can have the next shot. I says yep, go around the side of the house and take about a 60 yd shot or he'll see you. I grab the mutt so she doesn't go crazy when she sees a gun, and my kid shows up with his 30-30. Slips out onto the rear deck and takes the shot at 40 yds. "Got him". Just about cut the thing in half. Then he asks me if I'm disappointed that I won't have anything to shoot at?

I dispatched a rooster with a 45/70 last weekend. The kids on the right track.
I say get him a 12 gauge with slugs for the next one.
(Ok so they were round ball gallery loads for the rooster. Either way he was vicious I wasn't taking any chances and the 405 grain bullets at 1800 fps were close by)

Another reason why the 30/30 Winchester is the rifle that America loves.

was target shooting at my buddys farm when his 16 year old kid comes out on their tractor w his 30-30 lever action, walks up and starts ringing the little steel plates from 120 yards, standing, un-supported, w iron sights. Zero training, very little practice, very impressive.

While reading along, I kept saying to myself "this cannot be Mass, this cannot be Mass". Yup, NH.

Never had to shoot them, nut I have trapped a bunch. They are fun to stalk when you have the time and enough open area but I just trap them, pretty easy critters to snag and then you can either skin'em or feedem to the yotes

Sent from the blind