Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different towns have different rules. My shitbox town, the one just south of yours, will almost always issue restricted the first time and lift restrictions (if requested) on renewal. To our immediate east, Malden never issues with restrictions. Boston seems to usually issue restricted and even seems to maintain the restriction upon renewal in many cases. Somerville will usually issue restricted if it's your first LTC and you've been a resident for less than a year, but will usually lift the restriction after a year. Several other towns follow a similar practice.

And that's the biggest problem, besides the license itself, it changes from town to town. It should be clear and state wide. Everyone should be able to read the law and know what they will get before ever applying. If you're going to have a licensing system, which is a separate issue, at least make it fair.

For 5-6 years your current PD will still "own" your new LTC so Woburn won't have a say but according to the scorecard, Woburn seems pretty restrictive these days, even for renewals.
I've had a 1 year old restricted license voided and a new one given to me unrestricted when I moved. It's not hard provided the people who handle it A: know what they are doing and B: arent losers.

I've had a 1 year old restricted license voided and a new one given to me unrestricted when I moved. It's not hard provided the people who handle it A: know what they are doing and B: arent losers.
Well that is the issue. The percentage of what you just described is lower than Liz Warren's native American blood.

Arrived back from Thanksgiving break today to find no LTC in the mail. Been a full month since it was approved, and more than 60 days since the initial appointment. At this point I know I'll get the same answer from the FRB saying it's been approved. Would it do me any good to call the detective or whoever at the station about its status? Or would they sooner tell me to kick rocks? Yeesh, beginning to get fed up. I can feel my skills wasting away by the day.

Arrived back from Thanksgiving break today to find no LTC in the mail. Been a full month since it was approved, and more than 60 days since the initial appointment. At this point I know I'll get the same answer from the FRB saying it's been approved. Would it do me any good to call the detective or whoever at the station about its status? Or would they sooner tell me to kick rocks? Yeesh, beginning to get fed up. I can feel my skills wasting away by the day.
Have you not asked the local PD? It's probably sitting at the station waiting to be picked up.

Have you not asked the local PD? It's probably sitting at the station waiting to be picked up.

Called the FRB this morning, they said it's active. I'll head over to the PD to be sure they haven't bamboozled me and need me to pick it up haha. But if I just have to wait for it to come in the mail that's fine too since I know it's up and running. Disregard my complaints now, thanks!

Called the FRB this morning, they said it's active. I'll head over to the PD to be sure they haven't bamboozled me and need me to pick it up haha. But if I just have to wait for it to come in the mail that's fine too since I know it's up and running. Disregard my complaints now, thanks!
Most PDs don't mail them. They sit on someone's desk at the station till they find the time to call you to pick it up.

From what I see there, I would question the accuracy vs. what Comm2A has published (FRB stats).
Same here.

I can go make the same thing by not providing numbers and try to sell it as truth. Plus, the Comm2A analysis gives a better idea of just "how red/green" a town is. simple red/green list lends it too much personal bias by the person who makes the list. COmm2A data is straight from the state and sorted for us by Comm2A.

Last edited:
I can finally stop complaining. Took 79 days from interview to being in my hand. No restrictions either. Definitely not what I'm used to, but I'm glad it's finally here. So in summary for anyone who sees this post: Fitchburg, 79 days from start to finish, No Restrictions. Thanks all.

I have to say i heard so many horror stories about getting a LTC in Mass I was expecting the worst when I moved here. My experience was fine though..

Northampton...22 days. said they only issue for ALP. .no questions... friendly

Most municipalities won't dick you around and will issue unrestricted. There's only a few that give you crap. Honestly, I think I have more of a problem with MA having all sorts of restrictions on what I can buy (AWB, mag cap limits, EOPS, etc) than our licensing.

Florida has a license officer who dispatches for North Adams, where you meet him. We have no police department we're so small. Very helpful gentleman when wife and I transferred and renewed our ALPs. Many hunters here. I'd call it definitely green.

I just got my card in the mail.will pick up license monday.im in springfield wich is red.im a 40 yr old small business owner who lives and works mostly local.any chance ill get unrestricted?a restricted license would be of no practical use whatsoever.

You can now retrieve the status of the firearms license application you’ve submitted to your local police department through the DCJIS by calling (617) 660-4722 during the normal business hours of Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m

About how long should I wait after the local police sept process before I call to check on the status?

In a situation where a PD asks for a written, signed statement on why you want a LTC unrestricted and they say for all lawful purposes is not an acceptable answer and you do not have a work related reason what have people been going with these days? I am trying to assist a friend on his first time LtC in a town within 128 belt (not Boston, Brookline) and part of the application process requires such written statement. I’m just trying to help him so he doesn’t settle for an sports/target restriction cause based on the comm2a spreadsheet the town does appear to have a reputation for issuing restricted LtCs. Thanks - Dave

Search the site with the jurisdiction name and likely you will find some specific information. There is really no reason not to directly ask the licensing officer what the chief needs to see to issue unrestricted.

In a situation where a PD asks for a written, signed statement on why you want a LTC unrestricted and they say for all lawful purposes is not an acceptable answer and you do not have a work related reason what have people been going with these days? I am trying to assist a friend on his first time LtC in a town within 128 belt (not Boston, Brookline) and part of the application process requires such written statement. I’m just trying to help him so he doesn’t settle for an sports/target restriction cause based on the comm2a spreadsheet the town does appear to have a reputation for issuing restricted LtCs. Thanks - Dave

something like this (but write it yourself):

"For personal protection inside and outside the home, hunting, organized competition, recreational shooting, and collecting."

Elaborate on the above as appropriate, but don't talk about "because crime", that can make you look paranoid. Don't lie about anything. (duh.)

Are they expecting a two page paper, or just some reasons?

Thanks guys, I did a search thru this thread and saw the town mentioned but nothing real specific to the topic of the reasons on a written statement. considering the comm2a scorecard for the town in question (Winchester) it doesn’t necessarily look great so I figured I’d throw it out there and see if anyone has any specific experience.

Monroe, MA = Green, Green, Green
No references, no letters, no reasons why.....
My local approving authority told me everyone in town gets LTC-A Unrestricted, period. And he wont bother issuing an FID unless your under 21.
As of 2 years ago he was still typing them out on the old paper forms, and laminated them with clear contact paper (cut with scissors) while you wait.

Bought my house in Freetown October 2016 and completed my renewal in previous town Easton June 2016. Submitted change of address paperwork when moved and never heard anything back, so good to go.

Noticed town still "blue" 1st page but if I'm reading scorecard correctly it appears Freetown issues non restricted 100% of the time?

Bought my house in Freetown October 2016 and completed my renewal in previous town Easton June 2016. Submitted change of address paperwork when moved and never heard anything back, so good to go.

Noticed town still "blue" 1st page but if I'm reading scorecard correctly it appears Freetown issues non restricted 100% of the time?

Ignore the list on the first page of this thread. It is outdated and not maintained. You want to look at the licensing scorecard Comm2A puts out to get the best info.

This is anecdotal but in my experience, Southampton now appears to be green. I have a few friends that have recently applied and were unrestricted the first time out. My wife and I also moved to town a few years back and on renewal got unrestricted the same as our previous town. I think the red comes from when Chief Silvernail was still on staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom