• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tentatively saying Hamilton is green.
Yesterday I had my meeting and applied with the Hamilton PD and had no issues. They took my unrestricted type A application and said it would take about 5 weeks. I asked if there was any reason I may not get it and they said as long as I met the qualifications I'd be okay. So unless the state doesn't like my background checks it shouldn't be a problem.

The guys in there are super nice and we talked about how they always see an influx of applicants after a tragedy or in this case a pandemic, while they took my prints and photo. For what it's worth my family knows the two officers I met with but I don't think it would make a difference. They are good guys.

I'll update once I have license in hand.

Update: unrestricted Type A license issued. took about a month from application date.

Last edited:
I'm tentatively saying Hamilton is green.
Yesterday I had my meeting and applied with the Hamilton PD and had no issues. They took my unrestricted type A application and said it would take about 5 weeks. I asked if there was any reason I may not get it and they said as long as I met the qualifications I'd be okay. So unless the state doesn't like my background checks it shouldn't be a problem.

The guys in there are super nice and we talked about how they always see an influx of applicants after a tragedy or in this case a pandemic, while they took my prints and photo. For what it's worth my family knows the two officers I met with but I don't think it would make a difference. They are good guys.

I'll update once I have license in hand.
Who you know absolutely can make a difference.

Who you know absolutely can make a difference.

That is true. Just knowing them though they are pretty down to earth. With Hamilton being so small I think everyone is more laid back.

I did also have all my paperwork filled out and ready, with training certificate(s) and any additional letters needed in hand. Being prepared will look good for you.

OK! Update.. So last Sunday I dropped off my application to get my LTC in Whitman, Per the chiefs directions. On Friday I called to see where I stood in line for picture, fingerprints and interview. At that point I was informed they are not processing new licenses?!?! What?!? Several towns around us have been doing them, Hell Fall River has walk ins? So I talked with another local who has ties informed me that A gentleman ripped the PD apart informing them they are violating everyone's 2A. And the officer said hes not getting his.. What the hell is going on here? I know I am late to the game getting my LTC but has this state gone full retard on the 2A?

OK! Update.. So last Sunday I dropped off my application to get my LTC in Whitman, Per the chiefs directions. On Friday I called to see where I stood in line for picture, fingerprints and interview. At that point I was informed they are not processing new licenses?!?! What?!? Several towns around us have been doing them, Hell Fall River has walk ins? So I talked with another local who has ties informed me that A gentleman ripped the PD apart informing them they are violating everyone's 2A. And the officer said hes not getting his.. What the hell is going on here? I know I am late to the game getting my LTC but has this state gone full retard on the 2A?
You are right, you are late to the game, MA has gone FR.

The guy who got pissed off will get himself an unsuitable denial, which will be on his record FOREVER even if he wins an appeal, which he won't. Suitability is the boot they hold over you to be sure you won't object to all the other unlawful conditions they add. Remove suitability and they can no longer extort you into silence.

I feel I am Helpless to this political game. It should be so cut and dry. I don't want to get blackballed by being the squeaky wheel.
Write a polite letter to the CoP and the Chairman of the Board of selectmen.
What you say is your call, personally I'd make it a question with a line about understanding the concerns but that you are aware of other towns processing application and you are "concerned" that this might look like a second amendment violation. You'll see, no accusation, no screamingong 2a, you are a concerned citizen, nothing more. Of course part of this is getting a written response, which will help if it goes further. And it would be hard for them to claim a polite letter showed you as being unsuitable.

But as usual IANAL. and contacting one may be a good idea.

TY 42!
I was thinking the same thing! I will write a polite letter to the Board of Selectman! I will keep you all informed!
Just some support. Per @Len-2A Training when my application languished beyond 40 days then beyond that I emailed the city councilwoman who chaired the public safety committee and urged her to increase financial support of our underfunded police department. I received an email from the licensing officer next day. My license came soon afterwards. Polite respectful and understanding approach is something which works. Fall River

OK update, Whitman police called me. The Sergeant asked if I was looking to get my LTC and was letting me know I am on list and he was apologetic and professional. I am on the list and assured me they will be continuing shortly. I would probably guess after next phase which is June 29th. Fingers crossed.

East Longmeadow should be green in my experience. Five years ago a friend got his unrestricted LTC with no firearms experience. I had a FID and applied in August 2019 when I turned 21 and got an unrestricted license as well. Not sure how long his LTC took to come in, but mine took 1 month to get an appointment, and three more months from then to receive the unrestricted LTC. They take their sweet time, but unrestricted seems to be the norm these days. Also, my friend just dropped off his renewal in person a few days ago with no pandemic problems.

East Longmeadow should be green in my experience. Five years ago a friend got his unrestricted LTC with no firearms experience. I had a FID and applied in August 2019 when I turned 21 and got an unrestricted license as well. Not sure how long his LTC took to come in, but mine took 1 month to get an appointment, and three more months from then to receive the unrestricted LTC. They take their sweet time, but unrestricted seems to be the norm these days. Also, my friend just dropped off his renewal in person a few days ago with no pandemic problems.
Unless there has been some change, the green/red rating is based solely on whether they issue restricted or unrestricted LTCs. denied/approved, time/delays, extra requirements, suitability BS, or FIDs, none of these are part of the rating system.

Unless there has been some change, the green/red rating is based solely on whether they issue restricted or unrestricted LTCs. denied/approved, time/delays, extra requirements, suitability BS, or FIDs, none of these are part of the rating system.
Understood, I included that info just in case someone else is looking for extra info about applying in our town, but the few LTC apps I know about in the past 5 years have all been issued unrestricted including my own.

Reactions: 42!
Applying for ltc in Hudson and was wondering if anyone had any info or suggestions regarding what to put for Reasons of wanting and ltc. States do not put All lawful purposes. Ready to pull the trigger just want to make sure i dont f up. Anyone have any info on the LO or if they are just bluffing there way out of allowing people to put that. Thank You and Happy Merica Day this weekend.

Applying for ltc in Hudson and was wondering if anyone had any info or suggestions regarding what to put for Reasons of wanting and ltc. States do not put All lawful purposes. Ready to pull the trigger just want to make sure i dont f up. Anyone have any info on the LO or if they are just bluffing there way out of allowing people to put that. Thank You and Happy Merica Day this weekend.

Sorry - I don't think they are bluffing. And I really don't have any advice about what to write, but maybe others will chime in with first hand knowledge. You wouldn't happen to be friendly with anyone on the local PD?

Welcome to NES and Happy Independence Day. Best of luck.

“For personal protection inside and outside the home, for hunting, for collecting, and for formal competition.”

If you can legitimately say you carry large sums of cash or other valuable items in sketchy places or late at night, do so. But don’t lie, ’cuz they might ask you to elaborate or be specific. Don’t say “sketchy” or name your town as being dangerous, they might take it poorly.

Edit: I have no direct experience with Hudson. And fencer is right, they’re not bluffing. They want you to tell them why YOU should have an unrestricted LTC.

“For personal protection inside and outside the home, for hunting, for collecting, and for formal competition.”

If you can legitimately say you carry large sums of cash or other valuable items in sketchy places or late at night, do so. But don’t lie, ’cuz they might ask you to elaborate or be specific. Don’t say “sketchy” or name your town as being dangerous, they might take it poorly.

Edit: I have no direct experience with Hudson. And fencer is right, they’re not bluffing. They want you to tell them why YOU should have an unrestricted LTC.
my town requires a letter, even for renewal. I always work in something along the lines of "While we live in a very safe community, life doesn't confine us within our town borders. While I make it a point to assess where I travel and avoid areas in which safety may be of concern, life isn't always that straightforward. For this reason, I am applying for an LTC for personal protection both inside and outside the home, understanding the responsibilities required within."

This is very much truncated and just a sort of general idea of what I write.

Is it generic? Yes, only in that I do not give specifics, but it avoids speaking negatively about the town in which one lives while putting the burden on some other, nebulous place while also giving some insight into how I carry myself about my day in terms of not being some vigilante who thinks its a great idea to walk through Brockton at night now that I can carry a firearm, etc.

I'm sure someone will take issue with what I wrote, but I don't care. It has worked for two renewals, and both times was met with compliments saying "nicely stated, but we only issue unrestricted."

Restricted or Unrestricted? Looking to move, maybe to Peabody

Unrestricted. Peabody had a reputation for being a pain under the last chief, but the current one seems to be either issuing unrestricted or denying.

any chance you could give a rough description on what you put for the reason in getting an Ltc?

dont remember it exactly, but generic platitudes about the definition of exactly what a restriction entails has 351 answers, my spotless record, and a thinly veiled inference I’d sue them if they restricted me. I’ve got a few friends on the department, but also a few people that aren’t.

my town requires a letter, even for renewal. I always work in something along the lines of "While we live in a very safe community, life doesn't confine us within our town borders. While I make it a point to assess where I travel and avoid areas in which safety may be of concern, life isn't always that straightforward. For this reason, I am applying for an LTC for personal protection both inside and outside the home, understanding the responsibilities required within."

This is very much truncated and just a sort of general idea of what I write.

Is it generic? Yes, only in that I do not give specifics, but it avoids speaking negatively about the town in which one lives while putting the burden on some other, nebulous place while also giving some insight into how I carry myself about my day in terms of not being some vigilante who thinks its a great idea to walk through Brockton at night now that I can carry a firearm, etc.

I'm sure someone will take issue with what I wrote, but I don't care. It has worked for two renewals, and both times was met with compliments saying "nicely stated, but we only issue unrestricted."
The more you write, the more reason you will give to be issued a restricted license. Like Boston Asphalt stated, no specifics, completely generic, as brief as possible, and Keep It Simple Stupid, or the KISS system. A one line sentence that has been posted somewhere in this thread is all you should write.
It is a B.S. game that a power hungry, egotistical, narcissistic chief plays. My chief flat out told me about ten years ago that he doesn't believe that citizens have the need or the right to carry outside of the home during a 10 - 15 minute discussion I had with him. But, if he "knows" you or you list "known" references down on your application, i.e. other cops, you will get an unrestricted license. Currently, if he knows you, from a positive interaction, or knows your references, you will get an unrestricted license. All others will get restricted for six years and upon renewal, the restrictions will be lifted.
The only positive thing I can add is he will be retiring next year because of age and one can only hope that things return to the way they were back in the 80's- early 90's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom