Gun club that allows draw from holster while shooting

The FUDD-ery is astonishing. I would never join a club that had such dumb rules and treated me like a child - safety officers, mag limits, no holster work, etc. OP, join Harvard or Hopkington.

The FUDD-ery is astonishing. I would never join a club that had such dumb rules and treated me like a child - safety officers, mag limits, no holster work, etc. OP, join Harvard or Hopkington.

Just to clarify, (since this very question was just asked on the Harvard Board), holster work is allowed at HSC, but at the action pits since those have side berms and you are typically the only shooter on the range, and not on the 7, 25, 50, 100 ranges since there are other's on the line, and you may sweep them as you draw your pistol. (in theory, if you were alone, it would be allowed on the back 40 since it has the side berms).

The Action Pits allow Members to be in a range with side berms and no other shooters. Action Pits were designed for competition that includes drawing from a holster. The Action Pits are the proper place to practice drawing from a holster. We certainly encourage Members who choose to carry concealed weapons to practice with their chosen holster. Practice is crucial to both safety and skill. That being said, please be double and triple careful when using your holster, particular when holstering your gun; the huge majority of accidents are related to holster usage. And certainly most of your good holster technique is developed by practicing with an unloaded gun. - Dan Hurley

Never heard of the one round/second rule at Andover. If it exists, it's not enforced.

It's not a rule. The general rule says that you can shoot at any speed as long as you can keep your shots on paper.

Also, maybe with the new outdoor pistol range that is almost completed, we'll be able to draw from a holster. The new range has side berms and this could be safely done if we can get the board to ok it. It means we'd need to shoot down range from the normal shooting booths.

Harvard's an hour drive, Hopkinton even further. I have no problem with the safety rules, we're behind the iron curtain here, clubs need to protect themselves legally from the antis just beyond the walls.

Really? That's news to me. I am a member and thought holster draw was verboten. They also frown on "rapid" fire so even if holster draw is allowed, training for shooting sports is limited there.

I was talking to one of the committee members (organizing .22lr pill bottle shoots) last Wednesday and asked him some specific questions about what's allowed, etc. He said pretty much anything is allowable on the midrange as long as you're safe. Holster draw, shooting on the move, etc. No glass/fruit and pistols only, except .22lr rifles. Said shooting golf balls was still allowed, but that may change because there was a bit of a safety concern last time someone was shooting them.

As for rapid firing, I asked that during my orientation last year. That rule was put in place largely because of the neighboring residents, but when more than one person is using the range everything sounds like rapid fire. So as long as you're not shooting over the berm on follow up shots, Rapid fire is not prohibited.

Harvard's an hour drive, Hopkinton even further. I have no problem with the safety rules, we're behind the iron curtain here, clubs need to protect themselves legally from the antis just beyond the walls.
I drive 45min to Harvard from Boston. Worth it.

Except that 9 out of 10 times the shitty rules are not about legality or liability just fudds that get control of the leadership, form a cabal, and act like morons and put in dumb ass rules against action shooting or anything remotely defensive in nature, because "they don't do that" etc. This isn't a "cuz its MA" thing either, there are clubs all over the US that have shitty rules... although in MA the odds of getting shit rules decrease exponentially the further away you get from the 128 Belt.

If I was backed into a corner I would not hesitate to drive an hour to go shooting, BFD. Then again on the weekends I'm also the guy that drives an hour to smoke cigars with my friends... so perhaps my perspective is different.

-Mike

My local club is a five minute drive. Harvard is about a 40 minute drive. I haven't been to my local club in years.

"Speed draws"?

FFS. What is the point of drawing slowly?

I interpret that to refer to the method that the FBI (and many other PDs) used to teach back in the 1950s. (See 3:28 in this video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaiGSDiaI_w

I'm a member of Springfield Sportsman's. My understanding is that our rules prohibit quick-draw and point shooting. Quite a few people seem to engage in drawing from a holster and engaging aimed fire.

My local club is a five minute drive. Harvard is about a 40 minute drive. I haven't been to my local club in years.

That's fine, and if I have more free time in the future, I might join as well, but I'm also interested in the social aspect, and would rather meet people who are local to me. A local club is a must.

I think Woburn Sportsman has action shooting stuff as well, I think you can participate even if you're not a member.

That's fine, and if I have more free time in the future, I might join as well, but I'm also interested in the social aspect, and would rather meet people who are local to me. A local club is a must.

I think Woburn Sportsman has action shooting stuff as well, I think you can participate even if you're not a member.

LOL I would bet you good cake you will find a few people from your area at HSC. Half of the north shore shooters have dumped clubs up there to go to HSC and other less obnoxious clubs outside the belt, because most of the clubs inside the belt are trash or pretty much unusable for anything beyond fudd level stuff.

What do you do, go to the range and shoot for 30 minutes? If I don't have 4 hours total to burn, I don't even bother, regardless of where the club is.

-Mike

Last edited:
As for rapid firing, I asked that during my orientation last year. That rule was put in place largely because of the neighboring residents, but when more than one person is using the range everything sounds like rapid fire. So as long as you're not shooting over the berm on follow up shots, Rapid fire is not prohibited.

I am not doubting that someone might have said that to you but I am a bit skeptical for the following reasons. At a meeting a while back, maybe last fall, the president mentioned that someone was rapid firing and they were going to have him come before the board to explain why he needed to do that. And I know one of the club officers has approached people about it as well while they were shooting because he felt they weren't pausing long enough. So I am not clear on what is allowed, I guess, if what you are saying is true. But maybe I will bring some questions to the next meeting. I understand the concern about the surrounding residents. Georgetown is about as snugly fit into a residential area as can be and I know the neighbors are a big issue and call the cops at the slightest provocation.

I would join Harvard if I was closer but Groveland to Harvard is too far to do often enough to make it worth it for me. I did join Woburn Sportsmen which at least has an IDPA program now.

It does! Our program is young but we have been having matches for over a year and will be hosting the Mass State IDPA Championships this year. We hold IDPA practice on the second (this coming) and fourth Sunday of every month from 4-7pm in the indoor range for $5 a person. Matches once a month. In fact our May match is this Saturday May 7th. All are welcome, especially beginners! Click the link in my sig for more info.

It does! Our program is young but we have been having matches for over a year and will be hosting the Mass State IDPA Championships this year. We hold IDPA practice on the second (this coming) and fourth Sunday of every month from 4-7pm in the indoor range for $5 a person. Matches once a month. In fact our May match is this Saturday May 7th. All are welcome, especially beginners! Click the link in my sig for more info.

Cool, thanks - will check that out in the future - right now I pretty much have to take a day off to go to the range, weekends are impossible.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL I would bet you good cake you will find a few people from your area at HSC. Half of the north shore shooters have dumped clubs up there to go to HSC and other less obnoxious clubs outside the belt, because most of the clubs inside the belt are trash or pretty much unusable for anything beyond fudd level stuff.

What do you do, go to the range and shoot for 30 minutes? If I don't have 4 hours total to burn, I don't even bother, regardless of where the club is.

-Mike

You made your point, I think you're giving this too much thought.

Except that 9 out of 10 times the shitty rules are not about legality or liability just fudds that get control of the leadership, form a cabal, and act like morons and put in dumb ass rules against action shooting or anything remotely defensive in nature, because "they don't do that" etc.
I wouldn't hesitate to get more involved with my club in order to get rid of FUDD rules... but my club is Harvard and we don't have those to begin with [laugh]

Then again on the weekends I'm also the guy that drives an hour to smoke cigars with my friends... so perhaps my perspective is different.
My two friends that I used to smoke cigars with both moved out of MA [crying]

I often wonder how many NES-ers I run into at HSC... Apparently a lot!

Some interesting perspectives on here.

I think the best way is to get involved. My club is very hunting oriented. Would like to change that. Things happen slowly.

I don't think I'd drive 40 minutes to go shoot, unless it was an event like a competition or NES fun shoot type of thing. I barely have enough time to go to the local club.

Back
Top Bottom