Gun Inheritance with a catch

I have read through these posts and understand much, but I'd like some advice if possible. A good friend of the family died about 8 weeks ago. Last night I called his widow to check in and see if all was well with life and the storm. After talking a bit, she ultimately gave me her husband’s guns, a .357 revolver w/ ammo and I guess a pellet gun. She seemed pleased that the guns would go to "a good home" and then mentioned their location. It turns out that she called the police to come get the guns and they are now at the station. She's in Ipswich MA and I'm planning to just drive over and see how to go about this, I have my Class A for ALP. Is their anything I should know? Thanks in advance for your enlightenment.

If I were you, wait for one of the attorney's on the forum to post here with some advice. There are several legal issues beyond just picking up the guns.

One thing you could do is:
Get a signed statement from the widow to the effect that she is the widow of the decedent who owned the guns and that she is authorizing the police to deliver the guns to your possesion. This gets the guns in your possession only, which is perfectly legal.

You would still need to transfer title (Bill of sale) and file an FA-10 form.

You might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone by only making out a bill of sale first and then going to the PD with it. They may then release the guns to you. The FA-10 would need to be filed within 7 days.

The widow must have legal power to transfer the guns which could be very simple or complex depending upon whether the decedent had a will or not and whether the estate needs to go through probate.

If I were you, wait for one of the attorney's on the forum to post here with some advice.

Thanks for your reply. I'm taking your advice and waiting for help. On the surface it seems reasonable to just walk in and chat with the Police, but we’re talking about scary guns! At least I'm located up here in the N.E. corner of MA where gun laws are not re-interpreted, just applied.

Did she tell the PD that the guns are going to you, did she ask them to help in the transaction? Or did she just ask them to come and get them? If she did not mention you at all then you could be SOL. Don't expect the PD to release guns easily.

But I am not one of the lawyers so I will shut up now....

She knows the officers and has worked in the town for years. She mentioned that she had someone in mind to give the guns to but needed to contact them (me). She didn't indicate me by name. She left them with the full understanding that she could retrieve them and the police even mentioned that one of the officers was a licensed firearms dealer and could help wit the transfer. It sounds reasonable to expect I can retrieve the guns with the proper paperwork.

Ya sounds cool to me if she knows the guy. He just might charge you a transfer fee for his trouble which would be normal.

Back
Top Bottom