Gun Law and Boats

Where is Rob or LenS when you need them?;-)

Never mind Rob and LenS!

THIS is a job for CAPTAIN WALT!

1950b.jpg

Google Overland Safety Systems. Pretty sure they'll work on water as well and owned by NES peeps.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I just looked them up. Those are very cool locking mounts! Thanks for mentioning those in this thread.

As a Maritime instructor I get this question often, and MConnelly2 has answered the OP's question correctly. I have also checked with USCG boarding officers and here is what they have said:

"All will be well as long as its not a federally regulated firearm with out proper federal paper work ATF form 5320.4 and 5320.20 if crossing state lines. Also that the owner or person in possession or said firearm is not a prohibited person under 18USC922/prohibited acts. The USCG does not enforce state laws alone they have officers from RISP/DEM or locals for RI and MSP/MEP or locals are with them then the state enforces MA/RI (or what ever state you are in) permits 3 miles and in."

Basically as you travel state to state by boat, it is the same as traveling by car, keep them locked up. I WOULD AVOID NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY TERRITORIAL WATERS AT ALL COST, BASED ON THEIR HISTORY OF NAILING GUN OWNERS WHO SIMPLY TRAVEL THROUGH THEIR STATES IN THE NEW YORK CITY BOROUGHS. However if you hold a LTC in those states as you transit down the ICW (or "the ditch" as we sailors call it), then you can obviously CC even while underway within that states 3 mile limit. IF you get boarded as above, immediately notify the boarding officers you are CC and have the permit to do so. Don't surprise them or your face will become part of the deck, [sad2]

Going international by boat is a WHOLE DIFFERENT BALL OF WAX, so let's NOT even go there.
[rolleyes]

I am not a boat owner and I am unfamiliar with those rules but as a reminder, the FOPA does NOT protect you from state magazine limits; firearms only according to NY.

So you CANNOT travel within or through NY with your 11+ round mags by car and apparently now by boat.

Wide circle around the 3 nm zone.

(And what's with the boarding for no reason crap? Even if it is your home? No 4A rights at all? WTF?)

(And what's with the boarding for no reason crap? Even if it is your home? No 4A rights at all? WTF?)
Unfortunately, there aren't enough liveaboards to put up a stink. My understanding is it's basically a continuation of the war on drugs.

It's for the children

Sent from this Infernal Machine

I am not a boat owner and I am unfamiliar with those rules but as a reminder, the FOPA does NOT protect you from state magazine limits; firearms only according to NY.

So you CANNOT travel within or through NY with your 11+ round mags by car and apparently now by boat.

Wide circle around the 3 nm zone.

Excellent point with regard to mag limits. I agree with you also on the boarding without reason crap, but they are likely covered by all of the various drug laws since they have been able to do this for a very long time. Still sucks that they don't have to abide by the same probable cause rules that police have to with cars.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough liveaboards to put up a stink. My understanding is it's basically a continuation of the war on drugs.

It's for the children

Your understanding is very far off. It's not because of the war on drugs, nor 'for the children'. It was actually because of the war with England, indirectly but directly. It comes from the original establishment of the Revenue Marine Service in 1790.

So, it really WAS about Homeland Security and revenue WAY before Homeland Security was [not] cool.

Abbreviated Synopsis: Old white guys that just won a war and created a nation out of beating taxes and smuggling shit, now realized they had to pay all the bills for that war, and to do so, they had to stop everyone else from beating taxes and smuggling shit into their brand new country. Keeping the Mexicans out wasn't really a thing yet, in those days, so ports and old sailing ships full of salty old people that probably had eye patches and peg legs and other assorted badassery were the functional 'border' they had to focus on. So, Ol' boy Hamilton says 'hey, I've got an idea. Let's build some small, uncomfortable, underpowered ships, find some hardcore dudes that will sail them because they have more balls than brains, and send them out to make sure everyone pays their duties. Find us some hard partying, heavy drinking types that don't mind getting in a scrap here and there! So thus, the Revenue Marine Service was created. And to this day, it's legacy carries on as the USCG, right down to the underfunding for underpowered and inadequate vessels manned by people with more balls than brains that don't know how to say 'Uh, no, this is a terrible idea'. But they don't get cutlasses anymore, al the pity.

Last edited:
Your understanding is very far off. It's not because of the war on drugs, nor 'for the children'. It was actually because of the war with England, indirectly but directly. It comes from the original establishment of the Revenue Marine Service in 1790.

So, it really WAS about Homeland Security and revenue WAY before Homeland Security was [not] cool.

Abbreviated Synopsis: Old white guys that just won a war and created a nation out of beating taxes and smuggling shit, now realized they had to pay all the bills for that war, and to do so, they had to stop everyone else from beating taxes and smuggling shit into their brand new country. Keeping the Mexicans out wasn't really a thing yet, in those days, so ports and old sailing ships full of salty old people that probably had eye patches and peg legs and other assorted badassery were the functional 'border' they had to focus on. So, Ol' boy Hamilton says 'hey, I've got an idea. Let's build some small, uncomfortable, underpowered ships, find some hardcore dudes that will sail them because they have more balls than brains, and send them out to make sure everyone pays their duties. Find us some hard partying, heavy drinking types that don't mind getting in a scrap here and there! So thus, the Revenue Marine Service was created. And to this day, it's legacy carries on as the USCG, right down to the underfunding for underpowered and inadequate vessels manned by people with more balls than brains that don't know how to say 'Uh, no, this is a terrible idea'. But they don't get cutlasses anymore, al the pity.

I like this synopsis....

You forgot to add

"Then Hamilton insulted the VP's fat wife and got killed in a duel for it....."

Genuine thanks. This is a far better reason than the one I had.
And perhaps the must badass description of what would become the USCG I've ever read.

Happy to stand corrected.

I like this synopsis....

You forgot to add

"Then Hamilton insulted the VP's fat wife and got killed in a duel for it....."

Would have been WAY cooler if he did it like Jackson. That crazy MFer got into a duel, and stood there and took one straight to the chest before calmly aiming and firing.

It's my understanding, that as long as the firearm stays on the boat while you are docked, and you don't take it with you when go on land, you are OK. At least that's what the CG guy told me...

Oh, and that 500 feet from Logan thing.

yeah, i would not count on that in NY or NJ! [sad2]

yeah, i would not count on that in NY or NJ! [sad2]

Holly thread resurrection. Good topic, one thing no one talks about is that if a boat has a stove, head and bed it counts as a home, so wouldn't Heller apply ? Not that all states give a shit, but is a valid argument, minus court costs :)

Back
Top Bottom