Gun ranges/clubs in CT- reviews?

I don't see any mention of gun clubs or ranges in CT- does anyone here have any suggestions as to a good one? I'd like to hear you folks' opinions before I go traipsing all over the state [smile] I'm more near the NE corner of the state so closer to that would be better. Thanks!!!

Yeah, me too!!! We're neighbors then, it's close to my house too, like a little less than 20 minutes away!!! You're going to laugh but I actually ALMOST attended this month's meeting (last Tuesday). I got there and the door was locked (needed a cardkey) and then I saw the rates. I hadn't seen that online, I thought it was high but I didn't know any better because I hadn't checked out rates anywhere else. Actually they are lower than Hartford Gun club, they are really good rates. So anyway I knew about the rule where two members have to vouch for you to be a member and I didn't know anyone there, so I got majorly chicken, didn't want to look like an idiot walking in and maybe they needed for me to know somebody there first and went back home [rofl] [laugh] I found out afterwards that the vouching thing is just a formality and they do all that at the meeting [rofl] Anyway it's in a GORGEOUS location- I haven't visited any other gun club but I'm inclined to say it's my first pick.

Of course, I was warned before I ever moved here that CT natives have ZERO patience for dumb questions. I came here and found out it was true- they stare at you like you are something the dog threw up, and grunt an answer back at you. The only way to avoid it is to start off with an abject apology and admit up front that you're new to CT, so pleeeze....that tends to soften them some but Lord help you if you have a SECOND question. So I very quickly decided to cultivate the art of faking it, as if of course I knew what I was doing [smile][smile][smile]

Depend what you are looking for, what do you shoot or want to shoot?

Metacon has the indoor .25 yard range (pistol)and outdoor rifle and pistol ranges.

Bristol Fish and Game in Wolcott has out door rifle, pistol, trap, skeet, sporting clays, fishing pond, and archery ranges. I think they may have a indoor archery range but am not sure. They have a nice club room and a bar (not my idea).

Bell City in Southington has out door pistol up to 50 yards, Rifle/pistol up to 200 yards, indoor .22 rimfire 50' range.

There are numerous smaller indoor clubs, some that allow only .22 rimfire and others that allow centerfire.
Bob

Right now I'm looking to practice with my handgun. I don't have that yet, I am working on it, don't know which either. Don't have a hunting gun yet, that's a whole 'nother ballgame. I've never been hunting and would have to learn. Right now I'm getting a handgun for self-defense and want to practice using it. I'm not inclined towards skeet shooting or things like that; I'm too firmly ingrained with the habit that the thing I do must be *useful*. It would quickly frustrate me to stand around shooting at bits of clay with no other real-world application [laugh] I want to learn how to shoot quickly and accurately to (God forbid it comes up) defend myself and my family, and that's pretty much it.

I'm inclined towards Metacon because it's very close, and in a really pretty setting, but I don't really know anything else about it. It sounds like it will suit my needs, which are pretty minimal.

What I need to know about a club/range is, are they friendly to newbies and females and family-types, or are they generally unfriendly to "outsiders"?

If you are up for a ride, ill be at Highrock in Naugatuck (just below waterbury) Tomorrow AM. Ill have a nice asstmnt of toys to try as i will be instructing my brothers GF.
Drop by Early before the masses show up and you are more than welcome. It is outdoor so dress appropriately[smile]

Thank you guys- :)

I went over to Tactical Arms today and got Rob and a friend of his Scott (said his wife's cousin owned it or worked there or something.) Scott didn't work there but was hanging out/helping out. Both were just so nice and friendly. I told them I didn't have an Uncle or whatever helping me out here and Rob just laughs and sings out "Oh, we'll adopt you!!" hahaha- [smile] Hey, that's fine by me- I can use all the help I can get! [smile]

I learned a lot there talking to those two. They've nearly convinced me to get a Sig Sauer. I felt how the Glock was in my hand and it didn't feel quite right- plus part of me just isn't thrilled with plastic parts on any machine I own, even if it is really tough plastic. But I'm going to go back there and shoot the Sig Sauer, plus a Glock, going to try a Kahr PM40 too. I'll try them all in 9 mm, 40 cal, 45 cal. That's when I'll decide which cal. I want. These guys recommend the 45 cal, that's what they carry [smile]

They also discretely advised against Metacon- said they weren't so friendly, plus there was a possibility they were going to be under some sort of land dispute soon & might have to move.

BTW guys I can google to find out where the clubs/ranges are just fine. What I wanted to know is what they are like & are they any good and are they friendly. [wink][smile]

They also discretely advised against Metacon- said they weren't so friendly, plus there was a possibility they were going to be under some sort of land dispute soon & might have to move.

feh, you should see for yourself. Gun clubs are like any other club, they have politics.

If metacon is convenient for you, by all means check it out.

I was a member at Hartford gun club years ago, another good club, skeet, trap, 5 stand, rifle and pistol all available.

Torrington gun club is an indoor pistol range, they take new members every other month. Very friendly and alot of active shooters there. There is a bullseye group that shoots regularly there and travels to other clubs and many of the members have match type games on other members private property I hear.

Northwest Connecticut Sportsmens association is a very active and very firendly club, pistol, rifle and trap all available along with archery and fishing.

The match schedule, all of which are open to non-members, is on the website under scheduled events, www.nwcsa.org

Both are very inexpensive clubs.

You've got options. Its not 20 clubs, but there are a half dozen around that are all worthwhile.

It's the prices that get me, $525-$575/year??? [crying]

I saw that Wolf's Range has a Jr. Rifle team. Now my boy would be all over that when he's old enough (6 now.) I called & I don't have to be a member of the range for him to do it, so that's good. Even now he's all excited that I'm getting a handgun, he can hardly wait [laugh] Oh but you bet I'm going to be doing things safely, no touchie without permission & my supervision, guns locked up when not on my person, etc etc.

Do you folks know of any other clubs in CT with good programs like that? Maybe Jr. Rifle teams, other competitive teams that I wouldn't know about yet? Thanks-

*edit* dangit I need to work on my reading skills. Skimmed too fast, the answer was right above me- *duh* [laugh]

metacon is 575 a year? I know tactical arms is like 575 a year, which is costly IMO, but its expensive to own a storefront with a range in the back, so I am sympathetic.

Hartford was just short of 500 a year as well, but they have, IMO, tremendous variety in their facility that nothing else in CT comes close to.

Torrington and NWCSA are both less than 200 for the first year, and less than 100 per year following.

Very economical.

I can't help you with any juniors stuff, nothing that I am aware of as far as teams. If its going on out there, the clubs do an absolutely pitiful job of promoting it.

Metacon is $300 initiation fee plus $95/year. However spouse doesn't have to pay the initiation fee and only pays $47 or $48 I think it was per year. Kids free. I think that is pretty reasonable- it's in a GORGEOUS location too. So peaceful & pretty [grin]

It was Tactical Arms that I was looking at, they are $575 I think.

Yes the Hartford Gun club looked really nice too-

Decisions, decisions [smile]

Now that I look at it all I better wait till I have the pistol permit (August maybe? [crying] ) so I am not having a membership but can't shoot (don't own a rifle) but it's good to get the legwork out of the way anyways.

Metacon is $300 initiation fee plus $95/year. However spouse doesn't have to pay the initiation fee and only pays $47 or $48 I think it was per year. Kids free. I think that is pretty reasonable- it's in a GORGEOUS location too. So peaceful & pretty [grin]

It was Tactical Arms that I was looking at, they are $575 I think.

Yes the Hartford Gun club looked really nice too-

Decisions, decisions [smile]

Now that I look at it all I better wait till I have the pistol permit (August maybe? [crying] ) so I am not having a membership but can't shoot (don't own a rifle) but it's good to get the legwork out of the way anyways.

I cant' speak for any clubs as I don't sit on a board or anything, but I am frequently hearing that clubs are talking about freezing memberships because of recent influxes of new members.

I would expect this is mostly due to safety reasons.

Not that I am trying physc you out or cause a scarcity response, but it doesn't hurt to select a club or even 2 now and get the process going to become a member. It will take awhile regardless, nothing happens overnight. They are "clubs" and they have requirements, they'll want to see you safely handling firearms(for example) on a live range, etc...

My experience is, even if you don't have your own gun, the club will have selected a member/members that will come to the club for someone that doesn't know someone in the club to work with you and sponsor you.

In the end, the idea is to promote the sport of shooting. If someone wants to become a member and get active in shooting, it is self defeating to not get that individual into the club just because they don't know some else already in the club.

Good luck in your selection!

O.k., good to know, those are good thoughts! Thank you!! I'm glad to know that I'm not doing things too terribly early then.

I checked out Torrington Gun Club, that's right nearby- prices can't be beat:

Meeting Dues
January $100
March, May $75
July $50
September, November $25

It says you have to be sponsored by someone who has been in the club at least a year but it does say " If you don't know anyone in the club you may contact the membership committee directly for an interview. " Heaven knows I don't know anyone that owns a firearm, I think my neighbors would have a cow if they knew about all this I'm doing here [laugh] They seem pretty active too, I might give it a go. I don't see where Metacon has any teams or anything, that's not a plus I think.

I just last month became a member at Torrington gun club, otherwise I'd offer to sponsor you.

Its a good group, and they are active. You get a badge for the door and can shoot pretty much anytime you want from the AM till 10PM 7 days a week.

The team shooting welcomes everyone, you can shoot every match, they just drop low scores off the bottom when they are competing with another club.

Its inclusive and positive with the goal of getting everyone pulling the trigger.

If you take your pistol permit class at the club, the one time onboarding fee, which I think was 90 bucks, is waived.

New members are brought in every other month(see why it doesn't hurt to get started sooner rather than later).

I'd encourage you to try for NWCSA as well. New members are brought in only once a year(November). So same deal. If you don't know someone there, just come to any of the numerous scheduled events. Part of the reason they are open to the public is to get people that don't know someone in the club already in the environment and get to know the existing members.

Cool- good to know! Thank you!

I like how the Torrington club sounds, they sound very newbie-friendly. [smile]

I took the NRA pistol safety course already elsewhere but that's o.k.- $100 or under I can afford [smile]

I just emailed to find out info for NWCSA and got a real nice, informative email back-

They have 60 people on the waiting list [crying]

But I'll follow it up anyways, wouldn't hurt, and it sounds like a lot of fun there. The rates are low enough that I could probably do both that one and the Torrington club (which is much closer) for weekly/daily practice. Or maybe Metacon, just all depends.

I just emailed to find out info for NWCSA and got a real nice, informative email back-

They have 60 people on the waiting list [crying]

But I'll follow it up anyways, wouldn't hurt, and it sounds like a lot of fun there. The rates are low enough that I could probably do both that one and the Torrington club (which is much closer) for weekly/daily practice. Or maybe Metacon, just all depends.

It never hurts to follow it up and there is no reason not to get on the waiting list!

How about Blue Trail Range in wallingford, CT
Open to the public, 25yd pistol and 50/100yd rifle.
Also a indoor 22 range and they sponser several junior rifle clubs and teams.
203-269-3280

Last edited:
Wallingford is pretty far-

I called to Torrington Gun club and they were real friendly [grin] He offered to set up a time at the range right away, I said great, but you should know I don't have the license yet, I've got the NRA class & applied but it's not done yet. So he said, o.k., we're going to have to postpone it. I told him I had gotten advice online to go ahead and start things rolling and he said that was fine, I was being proactive, but it doesn't take much time at all- so I should call back when I get the license & what with the meeting schedule & all I'm looking at September. *sigh* I think I'm going to apply to this one though, the price is good and I like the range of activities, and it's close enough.

But anyway it was all good info & I'm happy to have learned what is out here, and what people think of the clubs in the area. Thanks ALL for all your advice!!! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom