Gun safes, which ones ya got, love it or hate it

I am in the market for a gun safe, as my collection is getting hard to have in cases locked up under the bed. I really don't know anything about them. I know I don't need anything huge or super expensive. I am looking for something in the area of $700-1100. I am just wondering if there are any out there that are known for failure/poor craftmanship. Looking for direction to make sure I don't buy crap. Any opinions would be extremely helpful. Are the more expensive Browning and such really worth it? :?

Moved/JJ

Check with the guys at Eastern Security Safe.

http://easternsecuritysafe.com/

I've purchased both my safes and was pleased with their service and delivery. Do yourself a favor and pay for delivery. Dropping a 500 lb safe on your buddy would likely ruin your whole day.

They'll walk you through the various manufacturers and models.

I have a Liberty Colonial which I'm happy with. Although it's getting too small. :D

Always buy more safe than you think you need....

I have a Sentry 14 gun, key pad entry, $329 at Walmart. Meets California Department of Justice standards for firearm safety.

Four Seasons has them $399...

http://www.fsguns.com/safes.html

Give them a look if you haven't seen them already. I think you'll be impressed.

Be careful, they also have Gun Cabinets which are in the $100 price range, very light and flimsy. Easily defeated IMHO.

I have the Sentry G5453 that I picked up from Four Seasons. Not fireproof but damn heavy and great protection from theft. It has 5 locking bolts on the door. Dial combo sells for $489 and electronic lock sells for $549. Be careful though.. they tend to fill up fast
:D :D :D

http://www.fsguns.com/safes.html

Bugie

I have a Sentry GQ5453 and just like Bugie I got it at Four Seasons. I just picked it up last week. I was looking at the Sentrys in Wally World but decided to spend a little more for the model with the UL Class II lock.

My dial has a slight warp to it when spun--do you have the same problem Bugie??? I thought about taking it back (and still might) but I had to borrow a truck and friends to get it in the house. I'd hate to do that all two more times.

I'm not thrilled with the constrution but I still think it's a good deal. It's made in China and it stunk up the whole house with its 'new' smell, which I think is mainly from the carpet interior. I took the interior pannel off to look at the mechanism and the welds are all very curdely tacked together at odd angles.

I added some lights, power strip, and will get a 'gun saver' heat rod. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with the rods??? For the lights I used LED rope lights from the Homer Depot (<$10) and mounted them out-of-site in the door frame gutter. I added a door switch and it all worked out better than I expected! [wink]

I did the same thing with the lights and golden rod. Put a contact switch on the rope lights so that they turn on as soon as the door is opened.

The dial on mine is fine and spins quite true. My safe is in an area thats always heated and cooled so I dont think humidity is an issue but went with the goldenrod just as insurance. The smell on mine went away very fast.

Bugie

Back
Top Bottom