Gun Safes

What's up guys? So I know you guys have an arsenal and I know you have good storage for it. I'm looking for a good safe without breaking the bank, let's say under $1k. The safe will be going in a closet so space isn't generous. I have 3 rifles that need to fit and extra storage for mags and ammo would be nice. If a few handguns can fit too that's a plus, but won't get my hopes up. What's your recommendations and experience? Let's go, school me...

*sits down with pen and paper*

The closet might make it more secure, in your price range just get what fits and is cheap. You looking at RSC (residential security containers)which isn't a real safe IMO.

this topics has been beaten to death. I forget his handle....i think rob somthings.. he's and expert on the topic.

- - - Updated - - -

[h=1]Rob Boudrie, knows more than me and has a memory like a safe[/h]

Good, cheap safe doesn't exist.

Are you looking for space, security, fire resistance, or just meeting the storage laws?

Good doesn't exist for under a grand? Fml. Let's say storage and security mainly. Anything extra is a bonus. I did a quick search, but was overwhelmed. I saw a wide range of prices and styles.

The closet might make it more secure, in your price range just get what fits and is cheap. You looking at RSC (residential security containers)which isn't a real safe IMO.

this topics has been beaten to death. I forget his handle....i think rob somthings.. he's and expert on the topic.

- - - Updated - - -

[h=1]Rob Boudrie, knows more than me and has a memory like a safe[/h]

I hear you. If it's cheap, so be it. As long as it's secure and I'm not paranoid when I'm not there. I'll get something better when I move again.

If this is a dupe, someone post a link please.

Space disappears quickly in a safe, so be mindful of extra stuff you want to put in it. For $1k your options for true security will be somewhat limited. You can get a giant Brand X safe for that price and be able to fit a ton of stuff in it, but it's no more secure than a can of tuna. Best piece of advice I can give is to get one bigger than you need for the inevitable expansion of your collection.

Def check out eastern security and, since you list Boston as your location, http://bostonlockandsafe.com

Last edited:
All i was saying in your price range spend under 500, for 1000 you just get a larger version of crap.
a "few" rifles and hand guns can fit in a small safe...im not sure if you know but when you buy a "20" or "40" gun safe....its nonsense.. go buy size not advertised capacity.. measure your closet, you doorways and include details about stair/floor of house and ill google foo my opinion of what you shoud buy..

i know people with actual safes but installed in garages...IMO prety stupid with the temp swing and easy abilit to be stolen.

Take the value of your collection, real value not sentimental and spent 10-15%
Of the value of your current collention and what you plan to buy in the next 2-4 years and spend that on your safe.

Last edited:
Space disappears quickly in a safe, so be mindful of extra stuff you want to put in it. For $1k your options for true security will be somewhat limited. You can get a giant Brand X safe for that price and be able to fit a ton of stuff in it, but it's no more secure than a can of tuna. Best piece of advice I can give is to get one bigger than you need for the inevitable expansion of your collection.

Yeah I keep saying I'm done, but always end up buying something. My concern is storage for the rifles. That's what makes it tough, space is limited, but a need something. As long the safe fits and I can get to it. I'd say the closet is average sized.

Is delivery and installation included in your budget? Depending on the size of the safe, that could run you a couple hundred bucks as well. As MGnoob says, listed capacity is nonsense. I recommend cutting it in half for the true number.

Realistically, I could probably get something that gets the job done for under $600. I said $1k to be open minded and just see what the options are, but I really don't intend to spend that much.

- - - Updated - - -

Is delivery and installation included in your budget? Depending on the size of the safe, that could run you a couple hundred bucks as well. As MGnoob says, listed capacity is nonsense. I recommend cutting it in half for the true number.

Ooohh good question. I don't have a truck or anything so I will need someone to deliver and install. I didn't even factor that in.

The size and weight of the safe you are buying should be of little concern as far as installation goes.
assuming you have any hands on skills..

you need actual measurements of the closet..... or to go smaller than maximum fit. Which lessens ypur security, but with so few firearms the cheapest long gun safe will accommodate.... youll out grow the safe no matter what.

Eastern security safe. I just bought one from them. I'll tell you delivery and lag bolting alone cost $500. I'll be honest and say I wanted to spend about $1000 on a safe in the beginning also. Then I realized for $1000 you get the illusion of security. My advice would be to save up some money and invest in a quality product. That's what I did. I wanted to buy one a year ago and saved up more. Some people pay crazy amounts for safes. My uncle for example spent $5400 on a Fort Knox. Take the ride to eastern security and walk around to get an idea. The guys are very helpful.

The size and weight of the safe you are buying should be of little concern as far as installation goes.
assuming you have any hands on skills..

you need actual measurements of the closet..... or to go smaller than maximum fit. Which lessens ypur security, but with so few firearms the cheapest long gun safe will accommodate.... youll out grow the safe no matter what.

Yeah unfortunately, I'm not a do it yourself guy. I'm terrible. I'll definitely outgrow it. This will be temporary, just for the time I'm there. Once I move again I'll probably get rid it unless I want to use it as an extra and put it somewhere. I'll take some measurements this weekend. That should help narrow it down for my search.

Eastern security safe. I just bought one from them. I'll tell you delivery and lag bolting alone cost $500. I'll be honest and say I wanted to spend about $1000 on a safe in the beginning also. Then I realized for $1000 you get the illusion of security. My advice would be to save up some money and invest in a quality product. That's what I did. I wanted to buy one a year ago and saved up more. Some people pay crazy amounts for safes. My uncle for example spent $5400 on a Fort Knox. Take the ride to eastern security and walk around to get an idea. The guys are very helpful.

Damn your uncle's safe is worth more than my whole collection.

How far is this place from the Boston area?

Intro sucks but the rest is great. For less than 1k you I think you'll be wasting your money and may as well buy a Stack On security cabinet for $200. Fort Knox has a closet unit for about 1400.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn your uncle's safe is worth more than my whole collection.

How far is this place from the Boston area?

Click on the link in post 6. And then map quest or gps it.

- - - Updated - - -

Intro sucks but the rest is great. For less than 1k you I think you'll be wasting your money and may as well buy a Stack On security cabinet for $200. Fort Knox has a closet unit for about 1400.

They will still keep 99% of unwanted people out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Job Box and a chain. Stand it up like a fridge or sideways on a shelf.

Don't forget the used CL weight set to lay in 300+ lbs of plates and a piece of plywood to cover them with from home cheapo. They will cut it to size for you. A piece of carpet over it and your good. That's not going anywhere, and the steel is probably thicker than the tuna can pretty "Gun Safes"

If it's going in a closet, you can look into modular safes. Easier to move, and can be set up even if the safe is larger than the door frame. This would also provide some extra security, between the door frame and the ability to hide the safe in the closet. I've dealt with the Dakota and the Zanotti modular safes before. Nice since you can easily install them on upper floors.

If it's going in a closet, you can look into modular safes. Easier to move, and can be set up even if the safe is larger than the door frame. This would also provide some extra security, between the door frame and the ability to hide the safe in the closet. I've dealt with the Dakota and the Zanotti modular safes before. Nice since you can easily install them on upper floors.

Nice! I'm adding this to my research list.

Make them an offer

https://nh.craigslist.org/for/6036326562.html

Note that a safe is just a last layer of security. Do you have good house locks? Video surveillance? Can you hide it? Put it behind something? Bolt it to walls/floor? Put it in a locked space (closet) with reinforced walls and a door, have an alarm attached to a central monitor with cellular backup, dogs, etc.

You just want it to be a PITA to get your guns. Bolting an RSC to the walls and floor of a closet where it doesn't fit without the door jamb coming out, and layering the side walls with a layer of hardware cloth and cement board is going to make it a challenge for your average smash and grab criminal to get to it before the police show from your alarm going off.

Back
Top Bottom