Gun Show Near-Virgin Question

Ah! I can start threads, now. [grin]

What's etiquette at gun shows? That is, how do you pay? I'm going to the Barre, VT, show tomorrow and I'm wondering whether they take plastic, or should I break out my money belt? Last time I was at one, I paid with a paper check; remember those?

The thought occurred to me that it's probably safe to carry a large amount of cash at a gun show. Who the hell's going to try to rob the place?

I haven't fired a gun or been to a gun show for 30+ years. I finally decided to cash in my coin collection and "activate" my long-time interest in the Old West by buying some reproduction period firearms for target shooting and display. Also, I used to participate in battle reenactments, and I understand that "Cowboy" associations similar to the North-South Skirmish Association have developed for competition shooting.

Last edited:
The thought occurred to me that it's probably safe to carry a large amount of cash at a gun show. Who the hell's going to try to rob the place?

It's a gun free-zone why wouldn't someone try? Of course bets on the fact someone went in carrying anyway.

True, I've yet to see anyone patted down at a gunshow. They just ask you if you're armed.

I always bring cash. I've never used the plastic at a gunshow.

you can often get better prices paying cash too.

example:

At the springfield's show, a buddy bought a Dragunov (Romanian, unfired,scoped, 3 mags and acc) from one of the dealers late on Sunday. Gun was tagged for $1100. We're talking and the "dealer" says make an offer, it's getting late. My buddy says $800, dealer say's "cash?" buddy says "ok"

gun sold! while doing transfer, dealer stated that it was the only gun he sold on Sunday and it was the last 1/2 hour of the show.

I doubt that the CC fee made that big a diff (maybe it was $25) but to quote someone

"cash talks, bullshit walks"

I would guess 99.5 % of people give up their arms when asked at the front door,so one could assume the only people carrying are the dealers.Of those dealers,I doubt that many are even carrying.

So, ironically gunshows are a gun free zone and therefore a target rich environment.

Decide for yourself what percentage you fall into and plan accordingly.

Know what you are looking for and shop for prices beforehand on the internet,and bring cash [smile]

Last edited:
One of the first rules is not to shower that morning, or for a few days before.

Zappa said:
Same rule applies for a Ham Radio Flea Market or Metallica Concert. [wink]

thats because ROCK HAS NO NOSE! [laugh]

anyway, cash is best. have an assortment of small bills and large bills. a dealer doesn't want to count your 1's and 5's on an 800$ purchase any more than he wants to break your 100$ bill for a 3$ purchase. i figure, carry cash in either the universal 20$ bill or if you really want to be high speed, low drag in a system that compliments up. so say, (4) 5$ bills, (2) 10$ bills (3) 20$ bills then if you plan to spend more, start with the 50's or 100's

Of course cash is king, and it can be helpful in negotiations, but a lot of the dealers accept CC as well, so don't think that you HAVE to rely on greenbacks.

might I also add, the best deals i've gotten at gunshows are from people walking around with something they are looking to either sell or trade.

those people will not take a cc or check

I once bought a gun from a guy who was looking to trade it (sig 230) plus cash for something at a dealer. dealer offered him about 50% of retail value and the guy refused and left the table. I offered him $50 more in the isle, we willed a FA-10 form and he went back and bought the gun he wanted

Gun shows are great for small stuff. Boxes of thousands of Garand/Enfield/SKS/etc. clips for a buck each, slings, surplus parts, etc. Also ammo, since shipping can be a bitch but the big dealers will show up with truckloads.

I've never bought a gun at a gun show, though. (But you can tell me I'm a bonehead for not buying that MP5 at the show in Virginia a while back, since I agree with you.) Deals can be had, but you want to be there first thing, last thing, or be looking for an oddball.

I find gun shows are good for hard to find items, mil-surplus, some what rare and also tend to have good assortment of manuals. I think the key is go there with a plan and a budget. It seems to me cash really does not have the pull it once did. You will have an edge over CC as they pay X% in fees. You also get to see a lot of guns you might not see at your local FFL. Last gun show I went to was a ammo hunt
223 Rem.....350.00 1k
762x39 140.00 500
By no means a great deal but cheaper and instock compared to the dealers around me
You really should have a good idea of what your looking for and what it cost/willing to pay. I will give you an exsample. My friend wanted SKS He found a decent one at holbrook about a year ago. 225.00 He went to marlboro and couldnt find one in decent shape for less than 325.00
I plan on going to The Shriners show in mass in march
Im looking for slings SKS, GARAND, AK
Small list of C&R guns that I have in mind. If you go walking blind you may just waste some money, but unless you buy worthless junk you really cant waste money if you want it!

Well, I went to the Barre show with a plan and a budget, and came out with exactly what I wanted, repros of a model 1873 Colt .45 Peacemaker and an 1878 12-gauge shotgun with 20" barrels. It wasn't anything exotic but, like I said, it's been 30 years. BTW, I paid catalog prices; maybe if I'd been there later in the day, but first thing in the morning no one seemed to be in the mood to dicker. Besides, there were so many people there you could barely move, so there wasn't any shortage of customers, either.

Back
Top Bottom