Gun show stupid question

I am always looking for a good deal on a used gun at a Gun Show, maybe a fixer-upper at the right price. 99% of the time when I pick up a potential buy and look down the barrel, it looks like it has not been cleaned for 25 years, and lots of times there is some debris in it. When you ask the seller what the shape of the bore is, the usual answer is "great bore, just needs a cleaning".....

If someone is trying to sell a gun, why don't they clean it before the show???

I am always looking for a good deal on a used gun at a Gun Show, maybe a fixer-upper at the right price. 99% of the time when I pick up a potential buy and look down the barrel, it looks like it has not been cleaned for 25 years, and lots of times there is some debris in it. When you ask the seller what the shape of the bore is, the usual answer is "great bore, just needs a cleaning".....

If someone is trying to sell a gun, why don't they clean it before the show???

Because dirt covers rust and pitting. If it was that nice, someone trying to get the most money possible for it would run a brush down the barrel.

Watch out for a well oiled barrel. A clean barrel with a lot of oil in it can be hiding rust pits too. If I was serious I would want to see the bore after a dry patch.

Back
Top Bottom