Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on H.4121

There is a new version of the legislation scheduled to be released by House Ways and Means on Tuesday (July 7th). The bill is supposedly going to the House for a vote the next day (Wednesday, July 8th).

The bill has changed quite a lot from the original version. We have made a lot of progress on many issues, but the "suitability" for FID Cards is still in it. We will get out a detailed report tomorrow when we get the final version. It is clear we will need a full court press on the suitability expansion.

Update on H.4121

There is a new version of the legislation scheduled to be released by House Ways and Means on Tuesday (July 7th). The bill is supposedly going to the House for a vote the next day (Wednesday, July 8th).

The bill has changed quite a lot from the original version. We have made a lot of progress on many issues, but the "suitability" for FID Cards is still in it. We will get out a detailed report tomorrow when we get the final version. It is clear we will need a full court press on the suitability expansion.
Look forward to the update.

Update on H.4121

it seems there is no hope?

How the F can these criminals pull this release a bill then call it to be voted on less than 24 hours later. We have pols that probably have not read the 1st revision. Is this just the ways and means vote or full house?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Update on H.4121

July 7th is Monday and July 8th is Tuesday.

Thanks for the update - really interested to see what's left in the bill.

I'm not very surprised about the FID suitability. I have heard several times that the MCOPA has that as their main issue. Part of me says "bring it suckers" - if they play this card it could eventually undue the whole suitability for all LTCs as well. Granted, that will take years of court action and praying that we find a squeaky clean plaintiff or two that gets denied a FID for Comm2a to use to sue the shit out of the state.

Really curious about the FTF transactions and the 1-year misdemeanor parts. Also hoping they forgot to carve out exceptions for LEOs and have to eat crow.

I'm not very surprised about the FID suitability. I have heard several times that the MCOPA has that as their main issue. Part of me says "bring it suckers" - if they play this card it could eventually undue the whole suitability for all LTCs as well. Granted, that will take years of court action and praying that we find a squeaky clean plaintiff or two that gets denied a FID for Comm2a to use to sue the shit out of the state.

Really curious about the FTF transactions and the 1-year misdemeanor parts. Also hoping they forgot to carve out exceptions for LEOs and have to eat crow.
Lol yeah, they'll eat crow. Right after I have my full auto LPK for my AR. [rolleyes]

why can't the state be sued now for suitability or right after the bill passes? lets face the entire suitability law as it stands now is unconstitutional.

Last edited:
why can't the state be sued now for suitability or right after the bill passes? lets face the entire suitability law as it stands now is unconstitutional.
If I had the money for it I would do what ever I could to fight the suitability clause. But I was approved for my LTC because it's one of the few good things about Lynn.
If we get a case in the next few years about it, I'll fund the case as much as I can in favor of fighting suitability.

To your point, you could make that case now. However, can you pay for the lawyers out of pocket?

H. 4121 may be 2 steps forward for the anti gunners.

A lawsuit could put them 3 steps back.

In other words, The 2A could end up 1 step forward if Comm2a puts forth a case and wins.

If the State overplays their hand, it could end up being a win for us in the long run.

H. 4121 may be 2 steps forward for the anti gunners.

A lawsuit could put them 3 steps back.

In other words, The 2A could end up 1 step forward if Comm2a puts forth a case and wins.

If the State overplays their hand, it could end up being a win for us in the long run.

the long, long, long run.

If I had the money for it I would do what ever I could to fight the suitability clause. But I was approved for my LTC because it's one of the few good things about Lynn.
If we get a case in the next few years about it, I'll fund the case as much as I can in favor of fighting suitability.

To your point, you could make that case now. However, can you pay for the lawyers out of pocket?

No I can not pay the lawyers out of pocket, if I could it would be filed yesterday. I too received my LTC no restrictions as should be but it still upsets me how they get away with an unjust law.

Update on H.4121

Look forward to the update.

Ditto, save me a seat!

Really - looking forward?

Does anyone doubt that this updated bill is anything but further infringement? GOAL does a lot of good but they are simply shoveling against the tide with this one. The only good that can come from this bill is if it is tabled completely.

Comm2A has already noted in another thread (probably multiple threads) that having suitability applied to FIDs doesn't actually change their/our ability to bring a 2A case to trial based on Heller, because a) Heller concluded that possession of handguns is an individual right, b) in MA you need an LTC to possess a handgun (FID won't cut it), and c) the LTC is already suitability based.

They have noted that it isn't the FID being "shall issue" that is holding them back from pursuing that line of litigation, but rather having the right (and willing) person who has been denied solely on suitability grounds. They cannot simply challenge a bad law, but need a victim of that law to bring suit.

Update on H.4121

For those that haven't seen it yet, I've volunteered to print out and deliver messages to House members. Sounds like this could be the last day to do so. Details in this thread:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/254752-H-4121-Message-Printout-Dropoff

the long, long, long run.

<tinfoil hat> I have this gut feeling that this just might have been the anti's game plan all along... to force
a direct challenge to Heller in the hopes that in the 3-5 years+ time frame it takes to reach the USSC,
at least 1... if not 2 justices will be replaced </tinfoil hat>

Mass. lawmakers may vote soon on gun bill

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOSTON — State lawmakers could soon be debating legislation intended to strengthen Massachusetts' already-tough gun control laws.

Debate on the bill unveiled by House leaders, including Speaker Robert DeLeo, in May could happen as early as Wednesday.

The legislation would for the first time give local police chiefs the ability to deny a license for rifles or shotguns based on suitability standards and extend federal restrictions for firearm acquisition to the state level.

It would also require background checks for all private gun sales.

Supporters are hoping to get the bill through the Massachusetts House and Senate and onto Gov. Deval Patrick's desk by July 31, the end of the Legislature's formal session.

Great game plan by DeLeo! Release a total re-write today and vote tomorrow. It takes time to read, absorb the impact and put together cogent reasons why whatever they proposed is wrong/terrible/won't work and then get that info to those voting. Giving us a day or less to do it is brilliant strategy as we won't be able to marshal a good response in time to matter. All the "it's bad" rhetoric without specifics falls on deaf ears, so most of the gnashing of teeth here won't help us defeat this abortion.

Great game plan by DeLeo! Release a total re-write today and vote tomorrow. It takes time to read, absorb the impact and put together cogent reasons why whatever they proposed is wrong/terrible/won't work and then get that info to those voting. Giving us a day or less to do it is brilliant strategy as we won't be able to marshal a good response in time to matter. All the "it's bad" rhetoric without specifics falls on deaf ears, so most of the gnashing of teeth here won't help us defeat this abortion.

Does MA law require a "comment period" so that we don't end up like what happened with the NY "SAFE" act, which they introduced one day, and voted on immediately?

I suspect that they'll want to fast track it through the Senate as well, hoping to have it on Patricks desk by the end of the week. [thinking]

Just called my rep, Sean Garballey. I asked him if he had an updated version of H4121, he doesn't have it yet. I then told him that I read that the House Ways and Means Committee will be voting on it today or tomorrow. He said that's true. I told him that only having a day to review the bill is ridiculous. He agreed, and said that every two years there's an opportunity to change the rules, and every time he proposes a 72 hour review period for new bills - it gets shot down.

F&^% this POS state and all its corrupt m*******s communist pukes. Will there be a list of names that voted for this communist Bill?
I would like to know, so I never support that idiot again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom