Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
increased storage penalties withdrawn

The original draft of the bill had increased storage penalties if I recall correctly - do you know if those are still present in this version? Or is that what that amendment was trying to put back in?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it recess for the day ?

I don't think they are actually in recess.... at least the live feed does not indicate that (and it did the last time I remember them calling recess).

Well transfers haven't been "private" in this state for a while, because they still need to be done with a permission slip.... but to answer your question there will still be "private" sales of a sort - you will need to register them through a web portal or something, and will not need to go to an FFL.
Thanks. Not great but its better than the alternative.

Well transfers haven't been "private" in this state for a while, because they still need to be done with a permission slip.... but to answer your question there will still be "private" sales of a sort - you will need to register them through a web portal or something, and will not need to go to an FFL.

Still subject to the 4 "private" sales per year limit, and now you absolutely won't be able to do the transaction in a parking lot unless you have internet access, unlike the old paper FA-10's. The new bill text strikes the 7 day stuff and says "prior to or at the point of sale". So even writing the info down and then the seller going home to report it in won't be legal.

Based on the dwindling number of remaining amendments, I don't think they are in an actual recess - I think they are going around trying to strong arm each other in to either withdrawing their amendments or to ram them through.

- - - Updated - - -

Amendment 24 failed.

Amendment 24 dead. Time for another recess.

No study on more effective ways of enforcing gun laws or the effect of video games by a racially diverse committee... (amendment 24)

Brought to you by Store24

So Linsky proposed another amendment, #35, that modifies Section 54 to also require reporting on accidental shooting, suicide, or attempted suicide by firearm.

Still subject to the 4 "private" sales per year limit, and now you absolutely won't be able to do the transaction in a parking lot unless you have internet access, unlike the old paper FA-10's. The new bill text strikes the 7 day stuff and says "prior to or at the point of sale". So even writing the info down and then the seller going home to report it in won't be legal.

Well, I guess you could make the transaction in a parking lot so long as you enter the info to the web portal "prior to the point of sale"....

Also, I wonder if this fancy new web portal actually constitutes the sale itself - or if it really does just sort of run a background check with no strings attached. i.e. could a potential buyer & seller enter the info in the web portal prior to meeting, and then upon meeting decide not to go through with the transaction?

I can't wait for this annual report of gun crimes that MSP must now produce per 136Q. I don't think it will produce the numbers or type of numbers that the anti-gunners are looking for. They may be unpleasantly surprised.

Amendment 23 up now "Securing effective school-based law enforcement." Rep James Cantwell (D) Marshfield.

Mr. Cantwell of Marshfield move that the bill be amended in section 6, in line 209, by inserting after “officer.” the following sentences “As part of placing a school resource officer in a school, the school district and law enforcement agency shall establish a memorandum of understanding defining the school-law enforcement partnership and detailing the roles and responsibilities of the school district, law enforcement agency, and school resource officers. Such memorandum shall clarify that school officials continue to be primarily responsible for school discipline issues.”; and in section 6, in line 211, by inserting after “community,” the following words “integrate into the school environment, avoid involvement in school discipline, and minimize diversion of youth into the juvenile or criminal justice system”; and in section 6, in line 212, by striking the word “solely”; and in section 6, in line 213, by inserting after “police.” the following sentence “Such a review shall take into account disaggregated data collected pursuant to subsection (f).”; and in section 6, in lines 216 to 218, by striking out “may waive the requirements of this section if the secretary believes a school resource officer would not assist that particular city or town, a regional school district or a county agricultural school to ensure safe schools.” and inserting in place thereof “shall waive the requirements of this section if the secretary believes a school resource officer would not substantially assist that particular city or town, a regional school district or a county agricultural school to ensure safe schools.”; and in section 6, after line 220, by inserting the following paragraphs:

“(e) The department shall also establish a grant program, subject to appropriation, for school districts to fund training for school resource officers, chiefs of police, and school administrators in effective school-based law enforcement. Training programs shall include, but not be limited to, the following topic areas: child and adolescent development, juvenile mental health and trauma, referring and connecting to local youth-serving community based organizations, crime prevention through environmental design, best practices for recognizing and responding to students with learning and language disabilities, legal protections guaranteed children with these disabilities, juvenile law, working in a school environment, positive school discipline, active shooter response, and crisis planning.”

“(f) Each city, town, district, or school shall work with its school resource officer(s) to collect data, disaggregated by age, race, ethnicity, gender, disability, and English language learner status, on law enforcement contact, law enforcement referrals, arrests, and citations by offense in school or related to school behavior.”

I can't wait for this annual report of gun crimes that MSP must now produce per 136Q. I don't think it will produce the numbers or type of numbers that the anti-gunners are looking for. They may be unpleasantly surprised.

That's a good thing. It will shut down most of what they want to do next.

Well, I guess you could make the transaction in a parking lot so long as you enter the info to the web portal "prior to the point of sale"....

Also, I wonder if this fancy new web portal actually constitutes the sale itself - or if it really does just sort of run a background check with no strings attached. i.e. could a potential buyer & seller enter the info in the web portal prior to meeting, and then upon meeting decide not to go through with the transaction?

I think it does "constitute the sale" because they struck out all the other parts of 128A that talked about how you're supposed to report the transaction (FA-10).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom