Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by reps aid that bill was filed late. That is why it has to go in front of the rules committee

From GOAL

Here's the vote information by the Public Safety Committee on H.4121:
House lawmakers who voted in favor of DeLeo’s bill, aside from Naughton, included Reps. Alan Silvia (D-Fall River), Brian Ashe (D-Longmeadow), Michael Brady (D-Brockton), Linda Campbell (D-Methuen), and Sean Curran (D-Springfield). They were joined by Sen. Sonia Chang-Diaz (D-Jamaica Plain).

House lawmakers who voted against the bill included Reps. Cleon Turner (D-Dennis), David Vieira (R-East Falmouth), and Nicholas Boldyga (R-Southwick). They were joined by Sens. Timilty, Michael Moore (D-Millbury) and James Welch (D-West Springfield).

Three lawmakers reserved their rights: Reps. James Dwyer (D-Woburn), Brian Mannal (D-Barnstable) and Sen. Richard Ross (R-Wrentham).

A motion to reconsider the bill, made by Rep. Boldyga, failed on a 6-10 vote. The six who voted for reconsideration were Boldyga, Turner, Vieira, Moore, Timilty and Ross.

I don't think this has been posted yet, but here's a list of the bills cosponsors...

NAME: DISTRICT/ADDRESS:
Robert A. DeLeo 19th Suffolk
Cory Atkins 14th Middlesex
Jennifer E. Benson 37th Middlesex
Paul Brodeur 32nd Middlesex
Linda Campbell 15th Essex
Edward F. Coppinger 10th Suffolk
Marjorie C. Decker 25th Middlesex
Denise C. Garlick 13th Norfolk
Kenneth I. Gordon 21st Middlesex
Patricia A. Haddad 5th Bristol
Daniel Hunt 13th Suffolk
Kay Khan 11th Middlesex
David Paul Linsky 5th Middlesex
Paul McMurtry 11th Norfolk
Frank A. Moran 17th Essex
Michael J. Moran 18th Suffolk
Alice Hanlon Peisch 14th Norfolk
David M. Rogers 24th Middlesex
Byron Rushing 9th Suffolk
Daniel Ryan 2nd Suffolk
Jeffrey Sánchez 15th Suffolk
Alan Silvia 7th Bristol
Theodore C. Speliotis 13th Essex
Jack McDevitt
Robert Cerasoli
David Hemenway
John Herman
James Hicks
Marylou Sudders
Paul Dakin

That's a very good question.

Didn't much matter with seven votes in favor. The rest could have voted "purple" and the results would have been the same.

Time to start bugging the rules committee.

Three lawmakers reserved their rights: Reps. James Dwyer (D-Woburn), Brian Mannal (D-Barnstable) and Sen. Richard Ross (R-Wrentham).

So these three don't want DeLeo to relocate them to the basement and take their staplers? Why would they "reserve their rights"? Even the one additional "R" would have put the bill in a bad spot.

We lost by one and an "R" does not vote...last I checked he had an A+ GOAL rating. I hope there is something more to it that being crackers...

More accurate to say the other side won by one vote. They had seven votes no matter how you slice it. (And if push really came to shove Dwyer and Mannal probably would have voted for it anyway.)

Last edited:
I've been telling this to C&R folks since the thing was released. The 03 C&R is useless for MA. No more door deliveries. No more walk into a store and walk out after handing them you FFL.

You may not be able to walk into an MA store and walk out, but I'd disagree on the rest. The 03 C&R explicitly allows you to transfer firearms in interstate commerce, and federal law allows the shipment of C&R firearms to 03 FFL holders. There's still nothing illegal about owning an "off-list" firearm, and MA law does not pertain to interstate commerce. Just like nothing will prevent you from purchasing a long gun out of state and bringing it into MA.

Don't construe this as support for the law - I want this law dead and buried - but the C&R won't be "useless", just somewhat less useful.

It means that DeLeo has sent his goons to convince a few people to either vote his way or get their knee-caps broken. He needs time to make the rounds.

Correct as of now. Re-read those sections. It gives the AG VETO power over any/all guns including long guns (called out specifically in the wording).

Which makes Warren Tolman very dangerous, he wants to make smartguns the law. He could take everything off of the roster except those.

Didn't much matter with seven votes in favor. The rest could have voted "purple" and the results would have been the same.

More accurate to say the other side won by one vote. They had seven votes no matter how you slice it. (And if push really came to shove Dwyer and Mannal probably would have voted for it anyway.)

Why is 7 your magic number? The vote was 7-6 with 3 abstentions. What am I missing in your analysis of the 7 votes?

You may not be able to walk into an MA store and walk out, but I'd disagree on the rest. The 03 C&R explicitly allows you to transfer firearms in interstate commerce, and federal law allows the shipment of C&R firearms to 03 FFL holders. There's still nothing illegal about owning an "off-list" firearm, and MA law does not pertain to interstate commerce. Just like nothing will prevent you from purchasing a long gun out of state and bringing it into MA.

Don't construe this as support for the law - I want this law dead and buried - but the C&R won't be "useless", just somewhat less useful.

The only hitch I could see in the above is if they get rid of paper FA10's, can you do a registration only eFA10? I don't know.

I had talked to Timilty about an amendment that would exempt 03FFL's from "the list" hope he attaches it to the bill

Why is 7 your magic number? The vote was 7-6 with 3 abstentions. What am I missing in your analysis of the 7 votes?
not sure where 7 came from but they had majority regardless, considering I am sure the two D abstentions would have been in favor if they needed to be, when they weren't needed they got to ba able to abstain

I wonder if the D's drew straws to see who could vote in favor so they could make their new merit badges

You're right, I was thinking there were only 13 on the committee. Math is hard.

I can't ****ing believe it was Ross who betrayed us. ****.

It's not like him voting "no" would've mattered anyways. They already had 7 "yes" votes and the two D's that abstained would've probably voted "yes" as well had Ross cast a "no" vote, giving them the 9 vote majority regardless

And here I was told that my rep Brian Ashe (D-Longmeadow) was opposed to this. Not pleased with that at all.

I'll confess that I'm more confused after reading all this than I was when I started.
Anyone that understands political to English want to translate for the head injury for men club?

And here I was told that my rep Brian Ashe (D-Longmeadow) was opposed to this. Not pleased with that at all.

Longmeadow is the reddest of red towns.

You guys need to fix some things over there. That town is such a mess politically. How much are you paying that town manager? $42 million a year or something? ;-)

voting it out of committee while in my opinion is a disgrace (because of the poor quality of the actual bill and not even on content) is different than supporting it when voted in the house

still shameful but he may want it to be debated and amended and still not support it as it is

or he is a liar which seems more likely

At what point does the Mass AG's use of the consumer protection laws to regulate against hand gun features that are acceptable in nearly every other state in the union cross over the line into interfering with Interstate Commerce?

I'll confess that I'm more confused after reading all this than I was when I started.
Anyone that understands political to English want to translate for the head injury for men club?
it made it out of committee to be reviewed by the rules committee before it can be presented to the house for discussion, amending, voting, etc... or they can vote to send it to yet another committee

- - - Updated - - -

At what point does the Mass AG's use of the consumer protection laws to regulate against hand gun features that are acceptable in nearly every other state in the union cross over the line into interfering with Interstate Commerce?

at every point, but no one cares. The AG literally threatens out of state vendors that ship to MA residents
if that isn't interfering with interstate commerce I don't know what is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom