Guns on Campus.....In the news

The other was allegedly found with an AR-15. That's an M-16-like assault rifle which was allegedly found inside the trunk of a car. How the f**K are people going to know this unless you have a BIG MOUTH and tell the world hey can you guess what I have in my trunk?

They should've tried talking to campus security about it. Unfortunately, seeing as how it's UMass, chances would be slim to none, but you really never know for sure.

I got my first pistol permit in CT when I was away at school. Just so happens that one of the guys giving the NRA Basic Pistol course I took also happened to be the Head of Campus Security [laugh] What're the odds, right? He was actually really cool about everything, and told me to come see him when my permit came in. I did, and long story short without going into detail, I was allowed to keep my one pistol that I had at the time on campus.

The attorney for the person caught with the gun in the car has an excellent chance of beating the charge based on the "on one's person" qualifier in 269-10j (a qualifier not found in other sections of 269). Even the "in the room" case might be beatable on similar grounds, but even "in room" carry is banned by 10j.

Last edited:
Chances as UMD would have been non-existent. A few years back when my daughter was a student there, they were doing a play that involved firing a prop gun. Since they didn't have a prop gun, she asked me to see what could be done. I approached with security a proposal that I give them one of my guns and blank ammunition, which they could examine and if they wanted test fire. They would maintain complete control over the firearm and ammunition except during the scene, where they would hand it over to the actor for the scene and immediately take it back at the end (approximately 30 seconds -- they already planned to have one of their people there during the production). They looked at me as if I'd proposed bringing fully automatic weapons, live ammunition and explosives onto campus and leaving them in the custody of escapees from MCI Cedar Junction, and gave me a flat "no way".

Ken

I was going to post about this last night but got caught up with other stuff... for those that may be interested heres the email they sent out:

To the campus community:

We have recently received a handful of inquiries concerning firearms on campus, and I want to take a moment to provide the facts concerning two recent incidents and remind our students, faculty and staff of the law and policy related to firearms.

Over the past two weeks, campus police managed two firearm-related incidents. In the first, an unloaded, disassembled handgun was seized from a residence hall room. In the second, an unloaded rifle with a trigger safety lock was seized from a student’s vehicle. In both cases, the students cooperated with police and our officers promptly secured the weapons, eliminating any threat to the community. Both cases have been turned over to the courts and student judicial affairs. Finally, both students have been interim suspended pending an outcome of the judicial process.

Community members need to be mindful that bringing a firearm onto campus violates state law and university policy, even if a person has a license to carry a firearm. The Department of Public Safety and Student Judicial Affairs will strictly enforce these laws and policies. We urge anyone who is aware of the presence of a firearm on campus to call the DPS immediately at X9191 or 508.999.9191.

Col. Emil Fioravanti

Public Safety Director

Remember folks they "removed any threat to the community".

I can almost guarantee that I have a very good idea who one of them is. I remember a friend of a friend who was a legal gun owner mentioned something about his 9mm at one point. I don't think he had it on campus but after VT incident he had considered it in case something like that ever went down at umass. It's funny because these two guys probably aren't the guys that they need to focus on. There have been stabbings and shots fired within the last two years at UMD but no, those aren't the ones we care about. Lets go take out the legal gun owners......... I'm not saying what they did was right, but there are bigger issues like the non students that come on campus over the weekend to party that bring weapons, and USE them.

read about this one this morning in the sub-standard times. funny that in the newspapers they decided to call it a "military style assault weapon" then, when the university wants to downplay it and not scare people in the email, they use the term rifle.

read about this one this morning in the sub-standard times. funny that in the newspapers they decided to call it a "military style assault weapon" then, when the university wants to downplay it and not scare people in the email, they use the term rifle.

The term was "M-16 like assault rifle". Not even "assault weapon", which I might have expected from the news media. Unless it was select fire, they're technically wrong.

I'd also like to know how they found out about the rifle in the kid's trunk.

And, as a side note, here at the MMA, even airsoft rifles are considered dangerous weapons, and will get you the permanent boot.

In the first, an unloaded, disassembled handgun was seized from a residence hall room. In the second, an unloaded rifle with a trigger safety lock was seized from a student’s vehicle.

Damn! I was unaware that when a gun is completely disassembled and another was an unloaded rifle with a trigger lock in the trunk of a car... Well, Heck! Those weapons can just jump right out and start randomly shooting. [thinking]

In both cases, the students cooperated with police and our officers promptly secured the weapons, eliminating any threat to the community.

They were disassembled and locked... [thinking]

I am sorry, but there are worse things to worry about: If they think those are the only "weapons" on campus, think again. OC, batons, knives... Please.

You've got to remember that it's always easier and safer going after peaceful law-abiding citizens who make minor mistakes than it is the real criminals. Real criminals sometimes shoot at you, and their lawyers often have rabies.

Ken

You've got to remember that it's always easier and safer going after peaceful law-abiding citizens who make minor mistakes than it is the real criminals. Real criminals sometimes shoot at you, and their lawyers often have rabies.

Ken

You know they are going to string these kids up by their balls: They will be lucky to stay out of jail... Or at the very least, not loose their license.

Figures that drunken riots, property damage, thefts, drugs, assaults and rapes get handled "internally" but an unloaded, disassembled gun gets the licensed owner served up to the courts on a platter before the ink is dry on the press release.

Figures that drunken riots, property damage, thefts, drugs, assaults and rapes get handled "internally" but an unloaded, disassembled gun gets the licensed owner served up to the courts on a platter before the ink is dry on the press release.
Hopefully neither of these people admits to carrying it "on their person" on campus, although this may be tough for the pistol owner, it shouldn't be a problem for the AR15 owner.

Remember folks they "removed any threat to the community".

Yeah - no doubt they averted another VT-type school massacre. Maybe two... [rolleyes]

But how did they ever get their guns past the "Gun Free Zone" forcefield? The evil rays given off by these guns must have been muffled by the dissasembly of the 9mm and lock on the AR15.

Back
Top Bottom