• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunshot or fireworks?

How do you tell the difference? Cause I'm a poosi about losing hearing, I've always doubled up with plugs and muffs at the range so shooting a gun sounds like a muffled staple gun. Those of you who have heard gunshots up close, lived the hood, operators, or just those of you who have rolled in the 'sandbox', what does a hearing unprotected gun report sound like compared to fireworks? Do those police shotspotters get confused?

CRACK!

Fireworks always have a bit of a roll to them compared to a smokeless cartridge CRACK! At least to my ear*...

* I hear farts that sound like mumbles.

Last edited:
It's like the difference between watching a war movie with the best surround sound setup vs hearing the actual guns ring out 10-100 feet from you. Similar to watching pr0nz on a screen vs nutting in a tri delta for the very first time. Passive experiences just don't compare

How do you tell the difference? Cause I'm a poosi about losing hearing, I've always doubled up with plugs and muffs at the range so shooting a gun sounds like a muffled staple gun. Those of you who have heard gunshots up close, lived the hood, operators, or just those of you who have rolled in the 'sandbox', what does a hearing unprotected gun report sound like compared to fireworks? Do those police shotspotters get confused?

Lots of fireworks are clearly different.

Some can be remarkably similar to a gunshot, and if you’re too far away to be able to hear the gun’s action, it would be hard to tell the difference.

Shot spotter can analyze the profile of the sound signature much better than a human ear/brain can. But I’m sure there are some false positives and some false negatives.

But there’s a reason why the 4th of July is usually the deadliest or most shootings day in Chicago. Gangs use the number of fireworks going off to mask their gunshots.

One thing is for certain though, the sound of a bullet flying past you is very distinct.

CRACK!

Fireworks always have a bit of a roll to them compared to a smokeless cartridge CRACK! At least to my ear*...

* I hear farts that sound like mumbles.
That’s when it’s really close 😁. I prefer to hear the Doppler shift whizzy/zip instead of the crack.

Too many variables, IME. Many fireworks sound different, and so do many weapons and calibers, and that's not even accounting for distance, Doppler, and the direction your ears are facing. Any popping noise could be either. Context provides a lot of the cognitive response, but there's a reason combat vets sometimes don't waste time searching for cover on the 4th of July.

That’s when it’s really close 😁. I prefer to hear the Doppler shift whizzy/zip instead of the crack.

I heard it crack. I swear I had the distinct perception that I knew precisely where in space the bullet was when I heard it.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe fireworks break the sound barrier in initial launch or post-explosion, so no sonic crack. That's one major difference, unless of course you're firing subs. Then there's the fact that consumer fireworks don't get nearly as loud as even 9mm. They are in the 120-150dB range. 9mm is 160ish. dB scale is logarithmic, so 10dB's is a big difference. Professional fireworks can get louder, but are typically shot pretty high in the air before the explosion. Whereas 9mm explodes in the chamber in your hand.

Lots of fireworks are clearly different.

Some can be remarkably similar to a gunshot, and if you’re too far away to be able to hear the gun’s action, it would be hard to tell the difference.

Shot spotter can analyze the profile of the sound signature much better than a human ear/brain can. But I’m sure there are some false positives and some false negatives.

But there’s a reason why the 4th of July is usually the deadliest or most shootings day in Chicago. Gangs use the number of fireworks going off to mask their gunshots.

One thing is for certain though, the sound of a bullet flying past you is very distinct.
There is a reason why fireworks are so popular in the city. Gives cover for gun shooting.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe fireworks break the sound barrier in initial launch or post-explosion, so no sonic crack. That's one major difference, unless of course you're firing subs. Then there's the fact that consumer fireworks don't get nearly as loud as even 9mm. They are in the 120-150dB range. 9mm is 160ish. dB scale is logarithmic, so 10dB's is a big difference. Professional fireworks can get louder, but are typically shot pretty high in the air before the explosion. Whereas 9mm explodes in the chamber in your hand.

Yes, fireworks don’t break the sound barrier, but the sonic crack of a bullet is relatively small and it is easily muffled if the gunshot is past things that will attenuate it and change the frequency of the gunshot.

Next time at the range, step back a ways from firing line with others shooting and remove ear pro. Most guns aren’t so bad from a distance. I shoot 22lr rifles and shotguns with no ear pro, and feel like in limited use, it’s not so bad, even though technically it’s above the limit for ear damage. 556 with the rifle at your cheek hurts, until it doesn’t anymore.

Next time at the range, step back a ways from firing line with others shooting and remove ear pro. Most guns aren’t so bad from a distance. I shoot 22lr rifles and shotguns with no ear pro, and feel like in limited use, it’s not so bad, even though technically it’s above the limit for ear damage. 556 with the rifle at your cheek hurts, until it doesn’t anymore.
I mostly shoot at AFS in Attleboro and with the number of people bringing their tricked out ARs with pinned fancy 5.56 brakes, that would be no fun. Anyone else enjoy permanently fixing a loudener?

Gun shots hurt and leave holes in me, things that don’t need holes

Fireworks are loud and sound like freedom.

I mostly shoot at AFS in Attleboro and with the number of people bringing their tricked out ARs with pinned fancy 5.56 brakes, that would be no fun. Anyone else enjoy permanently fixing a loudener?
Ugh, 556 indoors?! No thanx! It’s loud enough outside!

Tell mura that flash hiders are better than muzzle brakes. You ears matter.

If you are in these areas its gunz shot:

Deathchester
Glocksbury
Mission Kill
Murderpan
Stab n Kill Hill
Chel Salvador

It's like the difference between watching a war movie with the best surround sound setup vs hearing the actual guns ring out 10-100 feet from you. Similar to watching pr0nz on a screen vs nutting in a tri delta for the very first time. Passive experiences just don't compare

Or a very willing Omega Mu.

Its loud but its bearable. More bearable out in the open than in an indoor room where it echoes all over.

Fun fact- Incoming fire sounds like a hummingbird. Or a pissed off hornet.
Truth. I hunt alot and it depends on where you are.....terrain.....cover etc. Mist shots I don't even really notice the noise. A few times when hare hubting in Maine standing in a thick regrow I've had a little ear ring after......because I believe the sound is bouncing off the thick tree cover back at me. Out in the open I barely notice the report from a shotgun or rifle.

Back
Top Bottom