• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Manual safety or not? 365X

I have a 365X non safety. Most of the time, I do not carry with a round in the chamber. I was thinking of getting the safety kit and new grip module and then carry chambered all the time. I have tried the 365 with the safety and drawing and flipping the safety down is easy. Which way should I go? Does anyone have any problems with the safety on the 365X?

I have a 365X non safety. Most of the time, I do not carry with a round in the chamber. I was thinking of getting the safety kit and new grip module and then carry chambered all the time. I have tried the 365 with the safety and drawing and flipping the safety down is easy. Which way should I go? Does anyone have any problems with the safety on the 365X?
My 2 cents: Chambered with no safety, but like others have said, a good holster is a must.

So, I get the concern, but you have to learn to trust your gun and training. When I first got my LTC, I carried unloaded. Nothing in it. It took about 3 days for me to start carrying a loaded mag, and after a week of the same cocked indicator not moving, I trusted the gun to not fire uncommanded.

You want to get a CC pistol out and into the fight as quickly as possible. That means training a good draw, trigger finger control, and how to naturally have your firearm in the needed orientation to instantly have proper sight alignment.

If a manual safety means feeling comfortable enough to carry with a round chambered, do it. With training, there is no difference in speed of draw to flick that lever to fire.

I personally want it as simple as humanly possible, because when it's time to go, its time to GO.

Last edited:
The safety on 365s is very easy to manipulate. I have both safety and non-safety models. If you're concerned about releasing the safety in an emergency a little practice at the range is all you need. It would be much better to get proficient with the safety and carry the pistol with a round in the chamber than to have to chamber a round in an emergency situation.
Personally I don't like striker fire guns. My daily carry gun is a CZ 75 Compact with a decocker. I carry that gun with a round in the chamber and the hammer decocked.

Do you Mexican carry this pistol?? Wtf?? Might as well carry an empty mag as well….

When I got my first Glock, circa 1991, I could not get comfortable with having a round in the chamber.

I was used to my "Chief's Special" Model 36, and my Model 13 revolvers

What fixed it for me was good leather holsters, and I preferred thumb breaks at the time.

After that I had no worries about one in the pipe.

No semi that I have used for EDC has ever had a safety, 30+ years later I have never had a ND

So do you drive your car with no spare? or only carry it when needed
Same deal...
That time it takes to rack the slide or worse yet,
Your in a struggle and only have one hand, Reason I went with a SA/DA
That 2-3 seconds under stress could be all that matters between you walking away or being carried away

So do you drive your car with no spare? or only carry it when needed
Same deal...
That time it takes to rack the slide or worse yet,
Your in a struggle and only have one hand, Reason I went with a SA/DA
That 2-3 seconds under stress could be all that matters between you walking away or being carried away
Can you enlighten me as to why a sa/da has an advantage over a striker fired gun in this situation?

The 365, like many (most?) striker fire guns, is designed to be operated without a safety and carried w/ a round in the chamber. The only reason the MA version has a manual safety was so they'd get approved to be sold in MA.

If you keep it in a proper holster & train, there should be no issue going without a safety and one in the tube. Ironically, you should probably train more if you're using the model w/ the optional manual safety. When I first started carrying I carried unloaded for a few days just to get used to having it on me, then I graduated to mag loaded without one in the chamber. Few days later I started carrying loaded with one in the pipe. The gun I carried was a striker fire that didn't come w/ a .manual safety & I had a good kydex holster.

1 in the chamber here. I removed the manual safety from my 365 when I brought it home. I trained up on Glocks and Sig classics. Don’t want to retrain for a safety on one platform. It’s bad enough adjusting for grip angle changes.

If using a light, I would prefer a manual safety because lightbearing holsters have a gap where trigger is, where clothing can get snagged when you holster the gun.

Back
Top Bottom