• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handgun twitches right on trigger break

johngalt2

NES Member
This is happening while I am dry firing. I have tried to modify my grip and trigger squeeze, and at times it seems to get fixed. But I don't seem to be able to do this consistently.

How do I go about fixing this?

Where on you finger does the trigger rest?
It seems like a lot of newer shooters are missing the fundamentals lately.

It's not the gun twitching right, it's you pulling it right.

Where on you finger does the trigger rest?
I am trying different positions on my index finger.
The tip (first pad) does not do well.
The first joint does well sometimes.
The second pad does well sometimes.
Some combination of grip and finger position and squeeze seems to work, but I am having trouble identifying what exactly makes it work. Asking for help on how to go about debugging this.
It's not the gun twitching right, it's you pulling it right.
Yes

poor trigger placement is something I see a lot lately, it's frustrating because I learned to shoot from old time hunters and military and they pushed the fundamentals, and it works.

View attachment 845192
Yeah - I found the first one in the pic recommended in many places. But I can't seem to make it work. The second position seems to work sometimes. Maybe I just need to practice more. Or maybe there is something wrong with my grip or trigger squeeze.

It's a very tiny twitch to the right on trigger break.

Yeah - I found the first one in the pic recommended in many places. But I can't seem to make it work. The second position seems to work sometimes. Maybe I just need to practice more. Or maybe there is something wrong with my grip or trigger squeeze.

It's a very tiny twitch to the right on trigger break.
There could be some variance of the trigger shoe spacing causing this. I wouldn’t wholly rule it out. Building many P80s I have one that pulls right at the break.

Get some training and then practice it’s operator error.

Once you get that down, you can move onto some advanced techniques, Bend your knees,lean forward.. butt out..

Aim with your shoulders, keep both eyes open and don’t stand still.

Then the final lesson, shoot first… but sometimes that goes either way

Last edited:
poor trigger placement is something I see a lot lately, it's frustrating because I learned to shoot from old time hunters and military and they pushed the fundamentals, and it works.

View attachment 845192
This is your answer, but your new sometimes you need somebody to watch you and point out what you’re doing wrong..

For follow-up shots you definitely want a short reset trigger and not let it come out all the way just release it till it clicks

This is happening while I am dry firing. I have tried to modify my grip and trigger squeeze, and at times it seems to get fixed. But I don't seem to be able to do this consistently.

How do I go about fixing this?
Had the same problem with my MA peasant compliant S&w Shield 9mm. 10lb trigger pull because it doesn't have a manual safety (The manual safety version has a 10.5lb tirgger :D). Installed an apex trigger group; Problem solved. And people wonder why I buy old handguns b4 the BS started.

What kind of pistol "shooting"?

I don't know much of anything about combat-style shooting, so I can't help you there.

For "bullseye" shooting, though, here's what I have to do; each and every shot I have to be actively thinking about moving that trigger straight to the rear (notice I didn't say squeeze). I don't think about sight alignment, sight picture, or anything else at all. Just trigger movement.
I'm a mental midget, so I have to think of only one thing at a time.

Got shoot a target(s)

Go slow, and call each shot

Make note of where / what you saw (where you called your shot as should have hitting)

Do this short distance and then back up slowly

Post pics on NES

I can notice movement while dry firing, doesn’t mean the bullet doesn’t impact where intended when actually shooting. Make sure you aren’t drying firing your way into an actual problem…

The trigger finger has one function. It’s to pull the trigger back without disturbing the sight picture.

It is NOT part of your grip. Build a solid grip, align the sights, pull the trigger without doing anything else.

Focus on the slide- is it moving when you pull the trigger in dry fire practice? It shouldn’t.

Practice.

Grab your non- dominant wrist with your dominant hand and squeeze like you are holding a pistol- then learn to move your trigger finger without altering the strength of the grip (you can feel every finger amount of squeeze onto your non-dominant hand).

Practice more.

Get some dummy rounds and load up a few mags with a dummy round on the bottom and then a random number of live rounds. Mix them up so you dont know which is which. Shoot and observe your trigger work once you failure to fire the dummy round. Get into the mindset "if my gun fails to fire it should not move when it goes "click"".

Practice some more.

If the gun is pulling to the right during your trigger pull...I would stop doing that. Pull the trigger straight back, you'll get better hits on the target.
I said "at trigger break". I'm not handling the release of the striker well.

Isn't this what is termed "trigger slap", when the trigger breaks and there's an excess of travel past that point?
I haven't figured out if it actually affects my POI but really annoys me on some guns (until I fix it) and don't experience it at all on others

It's aggravated by a clean/abrupt break, heavier pull weight and less than ideal grip/form by the shooter but can be somewhat mitigated by implementing some form of trigger stop. A lot of aftermarket triggers address this, myself I add something, for example drilling the frame for a set screw behind the trigger or maybe an added device somewhere on the trigger bar. Glocks for instance are very easy to add an adjuster screw behind the trigger bar '+' on the left side of the rear 'trigger mechanism housing'.

Back
Top Bottom