Harvard, MA Appleseed Shoot November 14-15, 2009

3 out of 4 of us are registered [smile] I'll be using my AR with irons. g/f will be using a 10/22 and friend Kyle will be using my bolt action savage .22 with a 4x scope (unless I can upgrade the sights before then...)

Last edited:
Registered as well. Doggonit Mike, you beat me by 30 minutes! [smile]
Well, I guess that means I definitely won't be borrowing your rifle.

"See, Vicki - now I HAVE TO get a rifle for my birthday." [smile]

I'm actually heading out from work tonight to look at some stuff, and will likely make a purchase this weekend. I'm hoping that the stock sights will be sufficient, as I won't have time to purchase new sights and have them installed.

That, and after seeing pics of a couple of stripped Tech Sights front sights, I'm trying to see what other all-metal, click-adjustable options there are.

I'm the last guy that'll tell anybody they have to buy any sort of gizmo for a rifle... but you're going to be kicking yourself if you don't put some decent sights on the Ruger.. The stock ones are a mess.

A month until the shoot is plenty of time to get those sights and put them on (it only takes a half an hour) if you want them.

I'm the last guy that'll tell anybody they have to buy any sort of gizmo for a rifle... but you're going to be kicking yourself if you don't put some decent sights on the Ruger.. The stock ones are a mess.

A month until the shoot is plenty of time to get those sights and put them on (it only takes a half an hour) if you want them.

And they ship fast. You'll have them in a couple days from ordering.

I may end up doing that, but I was under the impression that the front sight (Tech Sights) was/is plastic or very cheap metal, and I've seen a couple pics of people screwing them up. While it's been just that - people screwing them up - I figured I'd look around for something more durable since this is something I'd planned on leaving together permanently as a general-purpose plinker.

I've been looking around for all metal, click-adjustable options and I can't seem to find anything. Flip-up AR BUIS in the rear would work, but then my front sight is too low...so I'm back to a front sight problem.

I don't think you're going to find anything better than the Tech-Sights. The front sight is made of aluminum. Just don't sock the locking screw down so hard that it starts to pull out of the dovetail. And use red Loctite on the screw to hold it in place.

I'm on my 3rd front sight on one of my rifles. The first one was way out of spec and it was replaced for free. The post detent seized on the free one and I had to buy the 3rd one. So far so good. I have a set on my wife's rifle and it's been fine.

I'm on my second front site. First one came loose really easy and I way over tightened it. It stuck great until my rifle fell right on the front site and it came loose. The housing looked a little distorted so I got a new one. It's only $19, so who cares really.

I may take my old one apart, do up a model in SolidWorks and see if my machine shop at work will make me a steel version :)

I'm on my second front site. First one came loose really easy and I way over tightened it. It stuck great until my rifle fell right on the front site and it came loose. The housing looked a little distorted so I got a new one. It's only $19, so who cares really.

I may take my old one apart, do up a model in SolidWorks and see if my machine shop at work will make me a steel version :)

Same thing here.. between over-torquing and dropping the damn thing I have beat mine to hell, but it is still holding on for now. If you make a steel version let me know, I would be interested in one!

I'm in!

Taking my brother with me as well. He's 20 so he doesn't have any kind of firearms registration. That should be fine though. He'll be borrowing a rifle.

I'll be shooting a Ruger 10/22 (like some of you are planning on doing as well) and he'll be going with a Marlin .22LR. The iron sights on the Marlin are HORRIBLE. I could come up with more accurate sights using folded paper and tape. We'll have to get a cheap scope on that sucker.

Would prefer bringing my SKS, but 400+ rounds of 7.62x39 is not an expense to sneeze at.

The instructions say to have at least 5 mags of 25+ rounds. All I ever need are my 2 10 round Ruger mags. Do we really need 5+ mags for this event? Seems like one could get buy without, just would have to reload a little more often.

Also, I'm assuming that for the ranges we'll be shooting, a spotting scope is a must. Is that true? Been waiting for a reason to buy one anyways. Might just buy an entry level model for around $100.

All you need is enough magazine to carry 40 rounds to the firing line, as you will be shooting 40 rnds per AQT. I use 4 10 rnd mags for my 10/22, it breaks up the stings into a reload per position, standing-sitting-prone-prone.

If you need a scope, I have an old cheap Tasco 4x that I replaced with a 3x9 recently. I will be there both days. It was used at the last Appleseed we went to with no problem, let me know if you want it. I would recommend zeroing before hand though, time is tight during the shoot.

Last edited:
Mags:

You'll need 40 rounds worth of mags. Four 10-rounders is good. An extra won't hurt just in case one goes down. The course of fire is 40 rounds in 4 minutes, and there just isn't time to be messing around filling magazines.

Is the marlin Mag fed or tube fed? If tube fed, you will need to get a speed loader or make enough for 40 rounds out of McDonald's straws and some tape. Put the tape on one end of the McDonald's straw. Drop the rounds down in a row. Tape up the other end and the rounds will stay in. When you need to load, open up one end of the straw and drop them all down the tube at once.

Chris

Thanks edmorseiii and crak. It's good to know that it's a timed shooting event. Sorry for my ignorance of formal shooting conventions. I mostly just go to the range from time to time just to throw lead downrange; nothing serious.

The Ruger's good then. A couple extra mags oughta do it.

As for the Marlin, it's tube fed with an 18 round capacity. Messing around with taped straws for quick reloads looks like it's going to be a disaster.

Any other alternatives for quickly reloading a tube fed rifle?

If all else fails, it might be time to buy me another Ruger...

Any other alternatives for quickly reloading a tube fed rifle?

Other than straws there's this:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS120-1.html

Check the Marlin 795 as a lower priced alternative to the 10/22. Dick's has them for around $120 and Marlin has a $20 rebate. $100 for the Marlin as apposed to $200 for the 10/22. The Marlin already has studs so add the swivels for $5, Tech-Sights for $70 and 3 extra mags.

Also note: two 20 rounders will be a pain when you get down to it... you can't transition with a loaded rifle and there are three transitions in the normal timed course of fire, meaning you'll toss one in the dirt at least once. Invest in at least four 10+ round mags if you can, just to keep things simple.

Five 10rounders is definitely handy. A few times I've had a stove pipe/jam and was able to clear easily. Since I had my 5th mag ready to go, I was able to complete the AQT.

Make sure you can add a sling to those rifles also!

there is one guy that's realy good at the danvers Dicks, but the manager i've dealt with and some of the employees tend to be a bit more of a hassle then it's worth. process takes a long time as well as one kept trying to not sell me a collapsible stock for my shot gun saying it was not AWB compliant in MA.

I had a great time at the last Appleseed at HSC despite the monsoon. I enjoyed it so much that I just signed up for the November event. Rain, snow, global warming.. bring it on!

Taking my brother with me as well. He's 20 so he doesn't have any kind of firearms registration.
You know that as long as he's over 15 he can get an FID in MA. At age 20, he won't even need parental permission.

The iron sights on the Marlin are HORRIBLE. I could come up with more accurate sights using folded paper and tape. We'll have to get a cheap scope on that sucker.
Yes, they do suck, but you CAN still learn with them. (it's just easier with Tech Sights!) Note that the Tech-Sights ARE made for the Marlin 60 and 795: http://www.tech-sights.com/marlin.htm

Would prefer bringing my SKS, but 400+ rounds of 7.62x39 is not an expense to sneeze at.
Bring it anyway - you might want to use it a bit on Sunday just to practice with a different rifle.

Also, I'm assuming that for the ranges we'll be shooting, a spotting scope is a must. Is that true? Been waiting for a reason to buy one anyways. Might just buy an entry level model for around $100.
Nope, not needed - you'll be shooting at 25 meters. But hey, don't let that stop you; if you want one, go ahead and buy it! [laugh]

Yeah, they're kind of like Lays potato chips... ya can't have just one!

Yeah, they're kind of like Lays potato chips... ya can't have just one!

Well, lo and behold, picked up a brand new Ruger 10/22 w/ black synthetic stock. The 30 round mag (already had it from years back) will be great to have in case of a zombie squirrel apocalypse

ruger1.jpg

The scope is a McNstar(?). Just wanted something cheap for now. Total garbage. It's entire manual is written in Engrish:
http://engrish.com/
There isn't a single grammatically correct sentence in the whole thing. I plan on scanning it in and posting it online. It'll be hilarious, I guarantee.

Thanks for all the help Dwarven1.

Back
Top Bottom