• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone heard about ATF Denying Suppressors in MA?

uziduzit

NES Member
A few of my fellow 07 manufacturer compadres have had their form 3s denied by the ATF for suprpessor transfers into Mass? Has anyone heard of this? I have a few pending and money has already been paid for them. What justification does the ATF have to do this, since suppressor ownership by 07 manufacturers is perfectly legal in Massachusetts.

If I was in their shoes I'd be calling up the examiner (or their
supervisor) at the NFA branch to try to find out why they were
denied.

-Mike

well I know suppressors are Illegal in MA for civilians. State Law not federal.

all I can think is that the ATF is confusing manufacturers with civilians and holding them to the same standards.

notify the examiners supervisor. Dawn Henson is a good person to speak with. She helped me with my Machine Gun transfer last year as far as expiditing it. Very helpful lady. Call the main number and ask to speak with her. She should be able to straighten it out.

Manufacturers are civilians, not members of the military of government.

no thats not true. Not in the ATFs eyes... Class 3 Manufacturers in the state of MA can have suppressors and regular joes (civilians) can not legally posess them unless they happen to have a manufactures license. So yes.... there is a difference in ATFs eyes.

no thats not true. Not in the ATFs eyes... Class 3 Manufacturers in the state of MA can have suppressors and regular joes (civilians) can not legally posess them unless they happen to have a manufactures license. So yes.... there is a difference in ATFs eyes.

The plane went over your head. I think what Rob is getting at is,
strictly speaking, by definition, those posessing a manufacturing
license are still civilians. They might be licensed for (whatever) but
that still doesn't make them a "military" entity or anything else.

-Mike

The plane went over your head. I think what Rob is getting at is,
strictly speaking, by definition, those posessing a manufacturing
license are still civilians. They might be licensed for (whatever) but
that still doesn't make them a "military" entity or anything else.

I see what you mean.. [grin]

It's been my experience, as an 07 with SOT, that ATF-NFA wants to see the Mass Lic to poss. MG. before they will approve the transfer of any NFA items, including suppressors. That could be one reason for a form being returned. Many years ago, I had a pen gun transfer returned for that reason. I didn't argue and just gave them what they wanted and the transfer went thru. Maybe this policy varies depending on the individual examiner. Jack.

Well they seem to be going through again so maybe it was just a glitch, who knows, just got a Knight's MK23 can and the form 3 came back approved pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom