Help ID a 50 Cal Hawken blackpowder?

SAV

I just picked up this gun from a friend, made about 30 years ago by T. Mansfield Inc. Can you tell me anything about the company, and it's value?

TMansfieldHawkins50Cal.jpg

Its almost an exact copy of the T.C. Hawkins except it is missing the patchbox and the underbarrel ramrod guide is different.

I built a TC Hawkins from a kit that I bought in the Navy BX a long time ago and have shot maybe 10,000 rounds tru it.

My Hawkins really likes round ball (100 yrds) but will shoot maxiballs OK to about 50 yrds. 50 to 75 Grains of powder is all it needs to take down deer. Down load it to 20 grains with some #2 birdshot in paper wadding and it works great for squrrils.

make a bullet patch lube from 1 part dish detergent, 1 part mineral oil, 1 part water, and 1 part lemon juice. Shake it up just like a saled dressing and put a small squirt on your patch (Get cotton patches in the cosmetic section of wal mart. A big package for $1.89)

I replaced the nipple with a musket nipple because Wally World had a sale on musket caps (25 cents a package) I bought all they had. I think every once in a whill someone at Wally world looses theri mind??

The musket caps are a lot hotter and give better ignition. Just be sure you were shooting glasses as they tend to fragment shards of hot copper when they blast off.

I would say that your gun would be worth maybe $150 to $200. It most likely sold new for less than $100. There were a lot of Hawkins replicas on the market 30 yrs ago. You could buy them in K mart type stores or mail order just about anywhere.

Most of the replicas need to have the triggers and lockes polished. I know that even T.C. being one of the best ; that I spent hours with 600 grit polishing up all the steel parts and then lapping them with an arkansas oilstone.

Your wood stock is fairly good grade. Give it about a thousand coats of minerial oil with a greenie (Scotch Brite) and it will come to life.

Now Im gonna have to drag out my smoke pole and make some noise. Where do you shoot?

Capt Walt

Back
Top Bottom