Help me complete my ar...

Rather than start a new thread I’ll just jump on this one with a not-too important question...

Would I be stupid to search out and buy a 458 SOCOM upper?
I mean - I can’t find them anywhere at the moment. Is there a reason for that other than the fact that anything firearms related is hard to get these days? And as for ammo - well we know how available that is (in any caliber).
Or would it make more sense to go with 300BO? Tired of 223/556...been there done that. Just looking for something a little different.
Do you have a specific use for the 458? Bear hunting?? Other than a fun range toy that you want to thump some steel with, I'd pass. Do you reload? Ammo for it can get awful expensive, reloading could help a little. If you are looking for just another AR chambered in something other than 556, I would stick to something a little smaller with better ballistics, so if you wanted, you can shoot a little longer range. I enjoy 6,5 Grendel & 6,8 SPC much more than 300 BLK or 458 SOCOM.

Do you have a specific use for the 458? Bear hunting?? Other than a fun range toy that you want to thump some steel with, I'd pass. Do you reload? Ammo for it can get awful expensive, reloading could help a little. If you are looking for just another AR chambered in something other than 556, I would stick to something a little smaller with better ballistics, so if you wanted, you can shoot a little longer range. I enjoy 6,5 Grendel & 6,8 SPC much more than 300 BLK or 458 SOCOM.
Just something different to plink with (or does 458 plunk?) out to 100 yards. A few rounds every now and then.
It would just be a safe queen most times. I know how expensive that ammo is. But what ammo ISN’T expensive these days?
Can you use 6.5 in standard AR mags? Trying to avoid buying special mags since I live in the PRMA.

Just something different to plink with (or does 458 plunk?) out to 100 yards. A few rounds every now and then.
It would just be a safe queen most times. I know how expensive that ammo is. But what ammo ISN’T expensive these days?
Can you use 6.5 in standard AR mags? Trying to avoid buying special mags since I live in the PRMA.
Off the top of my head, I do not believe they will without modification to the mag.
There are some cheap 10 round mags for other calibers. I ended up just buying specific mags for each upper I have, that way there is never a mix up of trying to chamber incorrect rounds. Small price for peace of mind for me. Plus I'm not doing mag dumps of the other rounds, so the 10 round mags suited me just fine for what I was using them for.

.458 socom is an absolute blast for range fun and makes a formidable self defense caliber with JHP's. I enjoy the hell out of mine and have put a couple thousand rounds through it but... To enjoy this caliber, it makes a ma$$ive difference to reload. Your best bet for plinking out to 200 yards will be 300 BLK. Same mags and mag capacity, nice hard hitting projectiles, and it's getting pretty common (pre wu flu crisis). Unless you have access to distances greater than 200 yards, you won't need anything higher velocity.

I bought a couple of these side charging complete uppers with 16" barrels. They ship with a BCG that has a non-standard bolt carrier, cuz it has a handle sticking out the side of it.

They seem to be out of the 16" upper now though, they were $340 complete with BCG when they were in stock.

I got some snobby remarks when I posted about these earlier, some people seem to consider these as bush league quality, I dunno but I like the upper because it's very lightweight, it works, I'm not an 'operator' , all I want to do is hit a plate at 100 yards, and I dislike the standard AR 15 charging handle when I have a scope.

.458 socom is an absolute blast for range fun and makes a formidable self defense caliber with JHP's. I enjoy the hell out of mine and have put a couple thousand rounds through it but... To enjoy this caliber, it makes a ma$$ive difference to reload. Your best bet for plinking out to 200 yards will be 300 BLK. Same mags and mag capacity, nice hard hitting projectiles, and it's getting pretty common (pre wu flu crisis). Unless you have access to distances greater than 200 yards, you won't need anything higher velocity.
First AR I ever shot was in 458 socom, wasn't sure what to expect with recoil but it really wasn't bad

First AR I ever shot was in 458 socom, wasn't sure what to expect with recoil but it really wasn't bad
I guess because it's a semi, they are not bad at all and the authoritative 'thump' recoil is actually fun.

I bought a couple of these side charging complete uppers with 16" barrels. They ship with a BCG that has a non-standard bolt carrier, cuz it has a handle sticking out the side of it.

They seem to be out of the 16" upper now though, they were $340 complete with BCG when they were in stock.

I got some snobby remarks when I posted about these earlier, some people seem to consider these as bush league quality, I dunno but I like the upper because it's very lightweight, it works, I'm not an 'operator' , all I want to do is hit a plate at 100 yards, and I dislike the standard AR 15 charging handle when I have a scope.

Back in May I posted a great deal in the 'Deals & Steals' thread for the BCA 450 Bushmaster complete upper, on sale for $249, and got the same snobby remarks. I wouldn't want to conduct an armed insurrection with my BCA upper AR builds, but I have not had a single failure in any of them (556, 300BO). No complaints.

Back in May I posted a great deal in the 'Deals & Steals' thread for the BCA 450 Bushmaster complete upper, on sale for $249, and got the same snobby remarks. I wouldn't want to conduct an armed insurrection with my BCA upper AR builds, but I have not had a single failure in any of them (556, 300BO). No complaints.

Yeah some people think if you don't spend as much as they did then it must suck. Makes me laugh when I see the 'operators' at the range with their high end upper and optics that probably ran about $1500 that can't even hit steel at 100yds while I'm banging away at it easily with a 100 year old milsurp with iron sights.

You can get the same satisfaction with the 450 bushmaster for a lot less $$ in hardware and ammo.

Seems pretty comparable? Does the 450 use standard mags? .458 brass is a bit pricey but it lasts, at least for my loads. Projectiles can be cheap enough depending upon what you use. I mostly use Hornady 300 gr JHP's and 325 STX's, load with 4198. Bought an upper from Radical a few years back. So far it actually has been zero trouble and I know of a couple Tromix uppers that had a glitch or two. Granted, Tromix took care of the issues asap. If I do a big bore SBR, it will be .458 and a Tromix.

Are 450 uppers that much cheaper?

I have a bca complete 458 socom upper on a Anderson lower. Matched up with a palmetto state armory complete lower parts and stock kit.

It runs like a champ. It’s a toy I have 11 other ARs in different calibers and didn’t want to sink megabucks into it. Upper was $350 shipped, lower was $250, PSA kit was $175. Tossed a bushnell big d (yea it’s really called that..) red dot for $125 (normally $350). Been using standard AR mags they have been hit or miss. I bought a tromix 458 socom mag haven’t run it yet but hoping it’s more reliable than the standard AR preban 30 rounders. It has the occasional failure to feed with the 30 rounders but again not terrible.

458 socom it’s $2/round but that’s not much more than what brass 300 black is going for!

Rather than start a new thread I’ll just jump on this one with a not-too important question...

I mean - I can’t find them anywhere at the moment. Is there a reason for that other than the fact that anything firearms related is hard to get these days? And as for ammo - well we know how available that is (in any caliber).
Or would it make more sense to go with 300BO? Tired of 223/556...been there done that. Just looking for something a little different.
I think tou missed the 458 craze also st the moment I think most manufactures went to the meat and patatoes for production in 223/556
Keep looking I swear a 458 upper kit came up on dale from one of the vendors?

Midway has both 450 Bushmaster and 458 SOCOM uppers in their AR Stoner house brand in stock. The 450 Bushy is on sale for $400. I went through a similar process of comparing the 450 Bushmaster to the 458 SOCOM. Most write ups gave the edge to the 458, but always with the caveat that it was darn expensive. I ended up with with a Bushmaster upper in 450 Bushmaster and have been happy with it. I was like the OP, only wanting a thumper for some range fun, not for a real hunting gun. I do use dedicated 450 mags for it, and I’d also do that if it was 458. Besides working a lot better than a standard .223/5.56 mag, in a restricted state it makes it simpler to run 7 rounds in the mag and not run afoul of having 20 round AR mags that you are “only” filling with 7 rounds of 450/458.

If you want an alternative, look at Brownell's BRN-180. I'm a fan of short recoil pistons over the in bolt piston in the AR-15, so I'm willing to take the tradeoff of slightly more recoil for a cleaner action and the option of a folding stock.

Are there any uppers for a low/reasonable price out there anymore for 5.56 (around $400 or less)? Can't find anything in stock that will ship to MA

Back
Top Bottom