Help out a newbie

Hi all,

My name is Bill, I'm 19 and I live in Holliston MA. I went to the range for the first time just a couple of months ago and I got hooked! Though I don’t know any thing. I'm just looking for some help getting started. For instance, I looked on my towns police site and it said I needed to take a firearms safety course before I can get my FID. Any one know anywhere around here that offers one? or where on this site I should look?

Also, I still live at home while I’m going to school and my mother is some what anti-guns. Any advice on how to persuade her to allow a rifle in the house? Any thing that I should avoid that might make her a little more anti?

Help on any or all of this is VERY appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
It is excellent you are interested in shooting and that you want to learn how to get into it the "right" way. There are so many different activities/shooting diciplines you can become involved with (if you want) or you can just shoot on your own.

I cant tell you where to take a class near Holliston but most local gun clubs offer them. Look into what clubs are around you, become educated on it, and get your FID. Once you turn 21 you can apply for a LTC (handgun license).

Your mom may be "anti-gun" because she has a lack of knowledge about firearms. It is possible the only knowledge she may have is what she has learned from the media and some politicians.

One piece of advice:
Always remember the RESPONSIBILITY you have as a firearms enthuisast and gun owner. It is one of the biggest you will ever have. Take it seriously and you will have a lifetime of shooting enjoyment. You might even "educate" a few people along the way.

Good Luck and don't stop asking questions!

Whitey627...

I'm not sure where Holliston is. There are lots of instructors on this board so somebody can point you in the right direction. I help teach at the MRA in Woburn.

My best suggestion to you is to save up some money and pay for your mom to take the class with you. Once she learns that there are so many safety rules, and experiences shooting for herself, that should help to turn her around. You never know but she might even apply for her own license too. [wink]

Holliston is near Framingham.

GOAL is in Northboro and run classes there. I'm sure that classes are run at Hopkinton club (paging Rob Boudrie?).

www.goal.org has a list of GOAL affiliated clubs. Find one near you and drop by on a Sunday morning. Ask the folks there about classes, etc.

Can't help you on convincing your Mother, sorry to say. My Parents were totally anti-gun, but accepted it once I got into shooting (I was long gone from there house by then). My Wife took 6 years to change her mind and say "OK, if you really want one" . . . she had no idea she was creating a monster. Now she occasionally shoots with me and owns a few of her own (but that took another ~26 years).

First off, what was it that you shot at the range that hooked you?
If it was military surplus thats a fairly easy one to explain to an anti. History, collectability, preservation, all things that can contribute to one's desire to collect/shoot military rifles. If this is what you're looking to get into, we'll discuss the disease at a later date.[laugh]
If it was just some plinking that you did, getting a small target rifle like a 10/22 would be a good choice for a starter. Do some reading, grab some news stand magazines featuring competitions and overall shooting fun and explain to your mother what you enjoy about it. Offer up some info on the 22 cal shooting teams out there and other bullseye competitions, even if this isn't what you're going for. It at least shows guns are used for intense target competition instead of just weapons.
Most importantly what ever you decide... mention safety being the top priority. Assure your Mom that any guns will be stored, locked away, and unloaded. Explain to her the features, safety mechanisms, proper storage and operations that you'll eventualy learn in a safety course.
Avoid any black rifle types. Tactical looking features, handguns, anything military looking, and start off with something traditional. Hence the mention of a Ruger 10/22. Its a small caliber, classic design, and definitely one of the most non threatening rifles to anyone who is anti-gun. Once she warms up to the fact of you owning something like that and sees you're responsible with it, things will probably fall into place and you'll be shooting/collecting whatever you want in no time. Ive seen this happen many times with younger shooters and their parents. Worst thing you can do is come home with an SKS with the bayonet sticking out, or an AR, AK type thats shoved down the average person's throat as a weapon of modern military or terrorists.
As for your FID, ask around at the local shooting range. Even if you aren't a member, stop by their and ask if they offer classes. If they don't, ask who does. A private class is usually easier and more newbie friendly than any police taught course and will still give you the info and advice you need to get your FID and future LTC. As long as you haven't been busted for any felonies, drinking or drug possesion, you should be all set and able to get a license.

Hi Bill

Hi Bill-
I live in Holliston and would be glad to talk with you. Send me a PM and I'll send you my contact info. Holliston Sportman's has a Junior program, but you just missed the age requirement...I think it's 18. No worries though. Give me a call...

First off, what was it that you shot at the range that hooked you?

I was able to shoot a .22 hand gun, 9mm hand gun, a .45 revolver, and HUGE .50 revolver. Also an AK-47 and a bolt action rifle from the yearly 1900's. (I don’t know the names of the gun, just the size of the bullets. though I think the .50 was the S&W 500 with a 5.5 inch barrel.) I wasn't too bad at shooting them, at 50 yards I was able to hit the target most of the time with the hand guns and with the bolt action I was able to hit a target at 100 yards with my first shot though the next 2 missed. It was the bolt action that I fell in love with. I’ve always had a fascination with sniper rifles and even though this wasn't one it still got me hooked.

Bill, send a PM to user n1zfg; he lives in Holliston and is an instructor. He's active at one of the nearby clubs.

Ross

Bill, if you're still looking for a qualifying firearms safety course, I can offer you a private lesson in NRA Home Firearms Safety. Please give me a call at (508) 395-6500 to discuss the details.

Darius Arbabi

My best suggestion to you is to save up some money and pay for your mom to take the class with you. Once she learns that there are so many safety rules, and experiences shooting for herself, that should help to turn her around. You never know but she might even apply for her own license too. [wink]

Big +1. The biggest problem gun owners in America have is ignorance. Most people, all they know about guns is what the see in movies, and what the see on the News. Most of that is falce or skewed.

I've had the fortune to take several antis to the range for their first time. While I can't claim to have 100% converted them, they're anti-gun arguments were never the same once they had some actual hands-on facts to go by.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

-Weer'd Beard

Converted both my Mom and Sister by getting them into a free "Woman on Target" at my club... best thing I could have done to make them comfortable.

i have another quick question that might sound a little bit stupid but cut me some slack, i am new to this. i was looking around and noticed there are a bunch of different class that i can take, what one is required for the FID? or do all of them cover the requirement to get the permit? for istance this site show there and numerious courses that are aproved but they are lsited as for LTC or for FID. some one earlyer in this thread offered the NRA home firearms safety course, this site show that it is for the LTC. will it still cover my require ment for the FID? and if so will i have to retake the course when i turn 21 to get my LTC?

i have another quick question that might sound a little bit stupid but cut me some slack, i am new to this. i was looking around and noticed there are a bunch of different class that i can take, what one is required for the FID? or do all of them cover the requirement to get the permit? for istance this site show there and numerious courses that are aproved but they are lsited as for LTC or for FID. some one earlyer in this thread offered the NRA home firearms safety course, this site show that it is for the LTC. will it still cover my require ment for the FID? and if so will i have to retake the course when i turn 21 to get my LTC?

The HFS course is fine for your FID hun, as well as any other class on the list. Take the HFS course - it's short and sweet. [smile] And yes, you'll probably have to take another one when you upgrade after you turn 21 - however, that may depend on your chief and whether or not he's gun friendly.

Although there is NO expiration on the training certificates by MGLs. MANY chiefs won't accept one that is older than <insert arbitrary number here> months.

Back
Top Bottom