Help with watch please

Hi!
I'm trying to pick out a "tactical" watch for my boyfriend for his birthday. I'm getting so many conflicting opinions from people. I know he would like a Luminox, but I've read some bad things, like the customer service is poor with regards to repairs, and there's only a 1 year warranty. Plus, I've heard some people say the workmanship isn't exactly top notch, and the glow of the tritium isn't what they expected.
I've also looked at the Traser H3, and the Smith & Wesson Tritium. Does anyone have personal experience with any of these, pros , cons, suggestions, reviews, etc?

I would sincerely appreciate any help you guys can offer me.
My budget is between 200-300. Thanks alot!
Daisy
:D

cawg.gif

C-pher said:
I have seem some good ones, but they are above the 300 mark.

Well, like what? I'm willing to shop around once I have a good brand. I'm just so confused with all the different ones that my eyes are starting to glaze over.

Can you tell me what your suggestion would be please?

I liked my luminox and had no problems with it. I've never owned S & W or Traser.

One of my favorite watches was a Chase-Durer Special Forces 1000,. One of the military options. It was sturdy, but still looked good enough for dress. They have quite a few other watches that would fit into your price range.

Martlet said:
I liked my luminox and had no problems with it. I've never owned S & W or Traser.

One of my favorite watches was a Chase-Durer Special Forces 1000,. One of the military options. It was sturdy, but still looked good enough for dress. They have quite a few other watches that would fit into your price range.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

Tissot makes one called the T-Touch Tactical. It goes around 450 or so..

Nite makes some really good ones, you can get them from England, they are about 370 - 500 or so depending on what you want...

This is something that I love, watches. I will say, I'm not as knowledgable in Tactical as some other styles, but these are the two that popped out as very durable and shock/drop resistant.

SgtUSMC8541 said:
http://www.suuntowatches.com/x9.htm

Why does he need a "tactical" watch? Is he a LEO, military, or just a "cool guy" who likes cool toys? This can make a diffrence in what he should get.

He's a firearms instructor at a gun range. He does like cool toys (who doesn't), wants a good one for diving, and wants an elapsed time feature, but not necessarily a chronograph.
I've look at the Chase Durer brand, they have some cool watches, but don't offer the Tritium, they offer a superluminova or something like that. Not sure if it's as bright as the tritium, but the Chase Durer is certainly a better quality watch than the luminox, I think.

So, here's my question, and maybe someone can answer just this question. On normal military/dive watches, there is an outer bezel with numbers on it in 5 or 10 minute increments. Is this an elapsed time feature that you can set? I am so green about this kind of stuff. He said he doesn't need the chronograph if he can get one that has a "settable elapsed time feature".

anyone? bueller?

The bezel on a dive watch rotates counter-clockwise only in order to preset your max bottom time according to your dive plan. So, yes, it does act as a "lapsed time' indicator.

It is also important to note the one direction only function in the rotation of the bezel.

Hope this helps as I'm not up on the latest and greatest tactical watches.

TonyD said:
The bezel on a dive watch rotates counter-clockwise only in order to preset your max bottom time according to your dive plan. So, yes, it does act as a "lapsed time' indicator.

It is also important to note the one direction only function in the rotation of the bezel.

Hope this helps as I'm not up on the latest and greatest tactical watches.
\

that does help. Thanks Tony. Can I ask an opinion on the following?

http://www.airwatches.com/item_detail.php?item_id=175#

He likes the yellow face, and this does have a chronograph. It's bit more modern looking instead of the "functional look" of the luminox. but I think it's a cool design. What think you?
Chase Durer is an excellent watch maker.

daisywench said:
TonyD said:
Looks like a cool watch but I would not dive with it.

I'm not even so sure the water resistant to 200 meters is important to him. This one says WR to 100 meters.

why wouldn't you dive with it?

Because it's not a dive watch. Manufacturers add things on to make their product look 'cool' knowing full well a "bubble head" would never trust his life with it.

Let me add my opinion that might help you choose the right thing.

First of all, there is nothing "tactical" about a watch, with the possible exception of its color.

Figure out exactly what his intended purpose is for this kind of tool. Is he a diver and does he need a dive watch? Or, does he want a good quality, cool-looking watch that is water resistent with a couple of extra features?

Once you know that then you can narrow your search. Also, take into account the durability and construction vs. what he's likely to put the watch through.

I don't rely on my watch for much when I've diving any more; that's what I've got a dive computer for. Most watches rated to 50m or more work perfectly well for diving recreational diving, as long as you can see the dial clearly. (Nitrox/Trimix divers might need 100m.) The one problem with almost all of them is replacing the batteries. If you simply buy new batteries and put them in yourself, or have the jewler do it for you, expect that the watch will die the next time you dive. You need to send it back to the manufacturer to have them replace the battery and re-seal the case in order for the water resistance to be maintained.

Ken

Two good points, Ken.

One, is that my dive watch is self winding. It won't keep 'perfect time' over a few months, but no batteries.

Second, my dive computer is battery operated and therefore subject to failure and a critical point. I always set my watch to the max bottom time for that max depth according to my dive plan. I can stay down longer with my computer because it takes time at depth into calculation. However, if it goes 'tits-up' in the middle of the dive, I still have my analogous safe limit.

I still dive by the rule that I originally learned, which was that you could only use the computer profile if both divers had computers. The chance of both failing on the same dive is nil. If it should happen, then abort. The use your watch for your safety stops.

Ken

KMaurer said:
I still dive by the rule that I originally learned, which was that you could only use the computer profile if both divers had computers. The chance of both failing on the same dive is nil. If it should happen, then abort. The use your watch for your safety stops.

Ken

I agree. We just didn't have computers when I started and a watch was it. So, whatever else I add or utilize, I just always have that watch and set it for safety.

Back
Top Bottom