• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

herco powder

anybody use herco powder for 3 inch shotgun shells ounce and 7/8 loads and would mind sharing a recipe for buckshot

Aliant has a load data section for Herco.
It's made for heavy loads.
7/8 and 1oz loads in 3" shells? Do you have wad that will crimp correctly with such a small pay load. Especially the 7/8. I have only used clays and the "dot" powders for 7/8 oz #7.5 shot.
I have Herco that I usually use for pistol.

thanks for the reply its great someone read it.The load iam looking for is 3 inch magnum no 1 buck ounce and 7/8 or 2 oz..I see a unreliable recipe from a person talking on a duck hunting page of 38 grains for the ounce and 7/8 loads..just seeing who else might be in the loop of this.yes I use short wads for in can get the 21 no 1 buck in the 3 inch shells that are 40 grains each.

thanks for the reply its great someone read it.The load iam looking for is 3 inch magnum no 1 buck ounce and 7/8 or 2 oz..I see a unreliable recipe from a person talking on a duck hunting page of 38 grains for the ounce and 7/8 loads..just seeing who else might be in the loop of this.yes I use short wads for in can get the 21 no 1 buck in the 3 inch shells that are 40 grains each.

i see 1- 7/8 oz load I read it as 1oz and 7/8oz loads..... you might have to go to blue dot to push the heavy pay load..?

3 Rem - Peters SP Plastic Shells with Seperate Base Wad 1 3/8 - 1,300 CCI 209M Herco 12S3 or DRF3 29.5 10,000 -
3 Rem - Peters SP Plastic Shells with Seperate Base Wad 1 3/8 - 1,300 CCI 209M Herco WAA12 30 10,000 -

Thank you..that is very informative.Iam up to 30 grains of herco for 640 grains of no 1 buckThats 21 pellets and factory are 24 in the 3".It shot very good not high pressure but quick and some fire out of the bbl ..not like the factory loads of a lot more recoil..A VERY MILD push.Just a small non cut wad.It crimped perfect.I think ill try 35 grains.

Thank you..that is very informative.Iam up to 30 grains of herco for 640 grains of no 1 buckThats 21 pellets and factory are 24 in the 3".It shot very good not high pressure but quick and some fire out of the bbl ..not like the factory loads of a lot more recoil..A VERY MILD push.Just a small non cut wad.It crimped perfect.I think ill try 35 grains.

How are you measuring pressure?
Adding 5 more grains to a half once over published data will surely up your pressure.
Like I said your better off with a powder more suited to heavy loads.

Taking recipes from manuals and staying close too its some from youtube there was a great buckshot video

Back
Top Bottom