• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

High Power Rifle Clinic **Update 5-6-05**

TonyD said:
JonJ said:
What's the best rifle to bring, Garand, M14, or A2 AR?

Yes. [wink]

Jon,

What ever you can shoot the best with is the one you should use. People can do just as well with all three types. Myself I prefer the M16/AR platform because of the pistol grip. It works best for me. I've used an m14 before and I can't shoot that as easily as a M16. It just comes down to personal preference.

Derek

Thanks....I was leaning towards the AR anyway. Cheaper to shoot too! My Bushy DCM sure is heavier than my M4 at work.

JonJ said:
Thanks....I was leaning towards the AR anyway. Cheaper to shoot too! My Bushy DCM sure is heavier than my M4 at work.

You guys may want to get some decent ammo. Bad ammo at 200 and 300 meters will be all over the place. If we have time we will go back to the 600 yard line.

The range wont let you shoot at the 600 yard line with 55 or 62gr ammo. I recommend getting 69gr for the 200 and 77gr for the 300 and 80gr for the 600. Once I have the course scheduled I'll let everyone know if we will have time to shoot the whole course of fire.

crazyneddie said:
NickelSig I'm 1/2 between Hartford & Reading if you want to drive up 395 I could drive the rest of the way.

Thanks for the offer. I'll most deffinitely take you up on it so long as I'm able to make that date.

I have a ton of questions regarding gear to bring, I'll wait to confirm the date before I ask them all.

Looking foward to shooting my AR's at something more then 100 yards away.

Derek,

count one more newbie in for the highpower clinic. Never fired a .223 before; I understand that they kick less than the M1. What's the fun in that? :)

Hopefully the weather will have melted all the snow by then! Then I can indulge in my other passion - Riding! Watch for a black BMW (the two-wheeled variety) to come rolling in.

Ross

dwarven1 said:
Derek,

count one more newbie in for the highpower clinic. Never fired a .223 before; I understand that they kick less than the M1. What's the fun in that? :)

Hopefully the weather will have melted all the snow by then! Then I can indulge in my other passion - Riding! Watch for a black BMW (the two-wheeled variety) to come rolling in.

Ross

Awesome Ross. Are you going to be a man and shoot an M1 for the clinic? [wink]

derek said:
dwarven1 said:
Never fired a .223 before; I understand that they kick less than the M1. What's the fun in that? :)

I was under the impression that all that was going to be there was AR-15's - Since I've at least *fired* an M1 once, I'm a little more familiar with it than with the AR's! Hey, if it was good enough for my uncle (Korea, I think - not sure), it's good enough for me!

'Course, I wouldn't mind trying out the AR, anyway. Who knows, I might like it... then I'd have to deal with trying to buy one here in the People's Republik. :-(

Ross

dwarven1 said:
derek said:
dwarven1 said:
Never fired a .223 before; I understand that they kick less than the M1. What's the fun in that? :)

I was under the impression that all that was going to be there was AR-15's - Since I've at least *fired* an M1 once, I'm a little more familiar with it than with the AR's! Hey, if it was good enough for my uncle (Korea, I think - not sure), it's good enough for me!

'Course, I wouldn't mind trying out the AR, anyway. Who knows, I might like it... then I'd have to deal with trying to buy one here in the People's Republik. :-(

Ross

We will have some for you. I just wasn't sure if you wanted to shoot an M1. I have two of them, I'd still shoot the AR over them. Thats just me though. :D

Derek,

Put me down as well.

Depends on date chosen but I'd be interested in giving this another try, using my AR15 assuming I can make the date.

ETA: Ouch, May 7th is GOAL's Annual Meeting in Worcester, so I doubt that I'll be able to make a shoot in Reading on that day.

BTW, an excellent treatise on setting sights on an AR15 can be found (compliments of LTC Chuck Santose and the MD AR15 Shooters) at:
http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw

Sunday is the only day I don't work :(

Hopefully the next meet will be on a sunday. Saturdays would only work durring the summer as it stays light out till 9pm.

Tony, MA requires a LTC to possess any guns/ammo anywhere in the state (with very few exceptions).

airpw, to answer your question:

- MGLs require that anyone possessing/transporting firearms of any sort/ammo must have a MA LTC (FID for low-capacity rifles/shotguns only) with the following exceptions noted in the law:

* attending a match (with paperwork specifying the match, etc. in possession) or a gun show,
* LEO from anywhere in the USA (there seem to be some restrictions here too, but not likely to be a problem in practical terms),
* with someone in possession of a LTC who becomes "in charge"of the firearms while the unlicensed person is in MA and using or around the guns/ammo.

NOTE: Plinking or "just getting together to shoot" means you can't transport any firearms/ammo into MA nor can you be left alone with them.

TonyD said:
Len - what kind of paperwork is needed for me coming up there to help Derek teach the clinic? Apparently, it is considered a match.

You'll be with me in my car so it won't matter. I have a MA LTC. I'll be in possesion of your rifle as soon as you get off the plane.

derek said:
TonyD said:
Len - what kind of paperwork is needed for me coming up there to help Derek teach the clinic? Apparently, it is considered a match.

You'll be with me in my car so it won't matter. I have a MA LTC. I'll be in possesion of your rifle as soon as you get off the plane.

Roger that.

TonyD said:
airpw said:
Just checking, if I bring some friends, they don't have to have a license, correct?

What kind of license?

Two of my friends have LTC but one does not. He is interested and wants to take part in the clinic/match. I assume he can join the match without a FID or LTC as if I was taking him shooting at the local club.

airpw,

Correct, anyone can shoot with/without a MA license. However, someone must be "responsible" for the unlicensed shooter . . . meaning that a MA LTC holder must be present where the guns/ammo are and the unlicensed person can't be left alone with the guns/ammo at any time.

If the event is a "match" and the shooter has paperwork to prove it, the above does not apply and they can bring their own guns, shoot unsupervised, etc. as if they had a MA LTC.

LenS said:
Lynne, are you going to the GOAL Annual Meeting on that Saturday or are you off to a re-enactment?
Better late than never.... :D We have a reenactment that weekend, so no, I won't be going to the banquet Len.

Hey, everyone. I just wanted add a few things to the update. Derek and I have worked pretty hard to put this together and to write a course outline we felt would be the best for this class. This clinic will be mainly on the M16 / AR15 type service rifle and the classroom portion will cover such topics as:

Saftey
Nomenclature / Operation
Elements of accuarcy
Using a sling
Shooting positions

The afternoon will be spent getting your zero and shooting a practice match using everthing discussed in the morning. I suggest you bring about 100 rounds of good ammo at least 68 grains.

I also suggest you bring a shooting jacket if you have one, or a heavy long sleeve shirt or field jacket. You'll also need a glove for your weak (non-shooting) hand and you may want to bring a bottle of water or something to drink. I'm not sure what's available at the range.

We've also been assured by the CMP that our clinic is approved to meet the requirements for participants to purchase a M1 Garand through CMP sales.

I'm traveling 1,000 miles for this clinic so I hope all you local guys that expressed interest show up. If you have any questions, contact Derek or me.

Semper Fi!

Back
Top Bottom