• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

High Power Rifle Clinic **Update 5-6-05**

The clinic is now full. If you having any questions from now until May 7th please post here or IM me.

Thank you
Derek

Or, you can IM me. [wink]

This is going to be a great clinic for folks who really want to learn how much they can get out of an AR. Less than two weeks and I'll see you all there.

Hey, folks!

I think I sent an IM to everyone who is bringing a rifle to the clinic but I also wanted to post it here.

If anyone doesn't already know, the type of shooting we will be doing requires the use of a sling that is capable of making a loop at the bottom and is easily adjustable at the top. We will be covering the use of the sling during the clinic but you'll need one to shoot with in the afternoon.

Most shooters use a leather National Match sling but you can also use a cotton M1 web loop sling.

Let me, or Derek, know if you have any questions.

See you there!

Semper Fi!

This sucks...

I went to 4 Seasons to get some Black Hills 68 grain(sale on it per FS email) for the upcoming class...Sold Out! Carl ordered 1000rds from his supplier while I was standing there,though it doesn't do me any good since I work until 8PM and Woburn is a nice little haul from Worcester. I did buy a brick of XM193 ($104.00 with tax) so it wasn't a total loss :)

Anybody know of a source/store that sells this ammo ? Hell,I'll even go to the Gunroom in Shrewsbury if I have too.I seriously doubt they will have match grade stuff though.

Help....

Greg said:
This sucks...

I went to 4 Seasons to get some Black Hills 68 grain(sale on it per FS email) for the upcoming class...Sold Out! Carl ordered 1000rds from his supplier while I was standing there,though it doesn't do me any good since I work until 8PM and Woburn is a nice little haul from Worcester. I did buy a brick of XM193 ($104.00 with tax) so it wasn't a total loss :)

Anybody know of a source/store that sells this ammo ? Hell,I'll even go to the Gunroom in Shrewsbury if I have too.I seriously doubt they will have match grade stuff though.

Help....

Greg - I'm not sure the price difference but Federal Gold Medal Match is great also. Good luck and I'll see you there.

P.S. I think Derek bought him out of BH's.

Greg said:
$15.99 (I think) for 20 rounds of Federal ,compared to $24.99 for 50 rounds of BH (was the 77 grain,so 68 might be even cheaper)

I knew it was more but wasn't sure how much. Although, the Federal is new and not reloads like the BH's blue box. Derek was saying the 69 gr BH's was $26.

Greg - Another thought. Hornady makes a 68 and a 75 gr match that is very good also. Might check to see if they have that. I think Brent was getting some 75's from somewhere.

Supposedly (who am I to argue,I don't know a thing about comp shooting) the 68grain is good for my 1/9 twist.It has the ratings on the box .Thats all the match grade FS had was those 2 brands.

Almost $100.00 for 100 rounds of Federal is a little steep for me at the present time.Actually any time..LOL If I competed I'm sure it would make fiscal sense,but right now I am only in the "learning" stage.

Greg said:
Supposedly (who am I to argue,I don't know a thing about comp shooting) the 68grain is good for my 1/9 twist.It has the ratings on the box .Thats all the match grade FS had was those 2 brands.

Almost $100.00 for 100 rounds of Federal is a little steep for me at the present time.Actually any time..LOL If I competed I'm sure it would make fiscal sense,but right now I am only in the "learning" stage.

I agree, it is steep. I was under the impression FS had the 68 gr Hornady. They're usually a little cheaper than BH's. You're 1:9 should stablize 68 gr Hornady or 69 gr (Sierra) BH's just fine. It would probably do okay with the 75 gr Hornady, as well. I think there will some ammo available at the clinic but I'm not sure what and how much.

Greg said:
derek said:
John Dunn is bringing a 1000 rounds to the clinic.

Is he willing to sell me 100 rounds ? I can't get back to FS before the clinic,so I am screwed, unless Dicks sporting goods sells the stuff.

I'm sure you'll have access to the ammo. That's why he's bringing it. I just wasn't sure how much was going to be available is why I recommended everyone try to bring some. You'll be good to go.

I had Archer Arms order me some BH 69g. He ordered 3 boxes and I'm taking 2. He quoted me $28 per box of 50. If someone needs the 3rd box, let me know and I'll pick it up for you.
Jon

I will post a message at around 6:30 am on Saturday to let everyone know if the clinic has been cancelled due to rain. Please before you head out check here to make sure it hasn't been cancelled. The forecast says rain on Saturday.

TonyD said:
D - since everyone has already made arrangements to be there, why can't we at least do the classroom portion regardless of weather.

The director of the range doesnt want to do it in the rain, there isn't enough room in the club house for 20, and there is way too much foot traffic from other members. Sitting in the rain for 2 or 3 hours isn't very fun either. I'd rather re-schedule at a later date and have the class and shooting all in one day, rather than have people make two trips.

derek said:
TonyD said:
D - since everyone has already made arrangements to be there, why can't we at least do the classroom portion regardless of weather.

The director of the range doesnt want to do it in the rain, there isn't enough room in the club house for 20, and there is way too much foot traffic from other members. Sitting in the rain for 2 or 3 hours isn't very fun either. I'd rather re-schedule at a later date and have the class and shooting all in one day, rather than have people make two trips.

Except for poor Tony, who is flying up special for the event!

I spoke with John Dunn at lunch, and in the even it rains we are still going to do the class portion in the Club house for the first couple of hours. Hopefully the rain will have stopped by lunch and we can proceed with the shootng outside.

Back
Top Bottom