HK91/PTR 91

Great guns. I'd dare call them the AK of the battle rifle world.
Filthy as a pig in shit on a hot summer's day after one mag. And like said pig it is happy and runs great while filthy.
I've had one break an extractor and still work. The only way I knew it was busted was the brass only went 10' instead of a quarter mile. Smashes the shit out of the brass.
Easy to field strip and clean, although the flutes in the chamber can be a pain and so can the bolt.
Mags are cheap and plentiful.
I did not like the recoil. Was not overbearing, but it seemed to "buck" as opposed to a straight back action of a M1A. A recoil buffer helped even it out.
Triggers suck. Get a trigger job.
The QD/HZ German mil-surp optic is one of the best damn deals out there. Great glass and mount for the money.
Cocking handle is a bit of a pain in the balls, especially with gloves on. Does not hold the bolt open on the last round.

I've got an HK91 clone. Sweet shooter. Likes to run wet and dirty. I have German glass for it, can clover leaf at 100 yards no problem. Iron sites, the diopter thingamabob is pretty easy to use. Recoil is manageable to me. Parts and accessories are plentiful and generally cheap. Trigger can be smothed out easily with some wet dry sand paper-just polish all the contact points. It is a heavy gun, fairly front end heavy. Can be tiring shooting off hand. Flings brass flat at about 230 at about 60 miles an hour. Cases come out mangled but I'm told they can be resized and reloaded. It eats all 7.62 or 308 ammo I can find-any case material or bullet weight. It's a great gun that packs a wallop.

I have an HK91 and an HK93. They are great rifles (though I prefer my M14). They tend to smack you as opposed to giving you a good shove, as Gadsden said. This can be tamed with a heavy buffer and the heavy rubber butt pad. I've installed an HK21 but stock and HK21 cocking lever which is about 50% longer than the standard cocking lever and is a huge improvement. Magazines are cheap and parts are readily available. The bolt gap is adjustable via different sized rollers in the bolt head. This is effectively 'adjustable head spacing'. I have ejection port buffers on mine so the brass is only thrown 1/8th mile and slightly forward. This prevents showering others at the range with mangled brass.
I liken the standard trigger to dragging an anvil across a parking lot.
IMG_0625.jpg

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of owning an HK91 back in the 80's - I paid $679.00 for it brand new from HK and immediately sent it to Flemming for a trigger pack conversion. It was a beautiful rifle - accurate and reliable. I think the gun was jut intended to be full auto, because that's where it really shined, (as expected). It was a bit of a battering ram in semi-auto, but at 21, those things do not matter. I bought the Hensoldt 4x28 and then the SG1 by Schmidt Bender. If you can find either of these optics, buy them - though the SB will set you back...Truthfully, as nice as the SG1 was I used the Hensoldt or the irons 99% of the time. Let's face it - by today's standards, the HK is 1950's technology and the rifle hasn't changed much since then. Sure, accessories and mounting systems have, but the basic design of the gun hasn not. It's nice to see JLD producing real-deal HK's, as opposed to the myriad of clone manufacturers who've given it a whirl with mixed results - from Century, (ugh), to Ohio Rapid Fire, to Vector and beyond. It's a simple rifle that's not so simple to build correctly, (those pesky Germans). I'd stay away from early JLD's, unless they've been refurbed at the factory. Several people I know had issues when they first were produced. I believe JLD had tried to cut the chambers on early models to (A) not be so hard on brass and (B) to accept a more broad range of ammunition. I remember diagnosing an NES members rifle at a shoot and noticed what felt like a split and stuck case in the chamber - it wasn't. It was some kind of sleeve used to 'remedy' HK's design. It didn't work. HK's can be a reloaders nightmare - they functionally have the tendency to chew up brass. Soldiers trudging through a swamp, going to battle in the snow or fighting in the desert are not concerned with flute marks in their brass or nicks in their case rims - they're not collecting brass to run through their basement Dillion set up - they want a rifle that works. The latest JLD's I've seen are really nice. Almost impossible to tell them apart from the originals. If I ever get to the point where I buy "fun guns" again, I would love to take a walk down memory lane with a JLD. However, I will not ever buy a MA compliant one. The naked barrel and/or MA compliant comp is just stupid... It would be a free-state purchase for me...

They make comps that look just like the original flash hider. The three holed thing that usually shows up on them looks stupid and is loud as hell.

Great guns. I'd dare call them the AK of the battle rifle world.
Filthy as a pig in shit on a hot summer's day after one mag. And like said pig it is happy and runs great while filthy.
I've had one break an extractor and still work. The only way I knew it was busted was the brass only went 10' instead of a quarter mile. Smashes the shit out of the brass.
Easy to field strip and clean, although the flutes in the chamber can be a pain and so can the bolt.
Mags are cheap and plentiful.
I did not like the recoil. Was not overbearing, but it seemed to "buck" as opposed to a straight back action of a M1A. A recoil buffer helped even it out.
Triggers suck. Get a trigger job.
The QD/HZ German mil-surp optic is one of the best damn deals out there. Great glass and mount for the money.
Cocking handle is a bit of a pain in the balls, especially with gloves on. Does not hold the bolt open on the last round.

All of this!

An HK-91 is like a heavy duty work truck. It will take anything you throw at it and keep running.

The only way I knew it was busted was the brass only went 10' instead of a quarter mile. Smashes the shit out of the brass.

QFT

I read the mags were about $2 a piece. WOW.

I paid ~ $1 or $2 per mag for a pile of them a while back. All work fine, all preban.

I have an FMP G3S built in 1989. Solid rifle that hits solid. I have not shot it longer than 325 yards, but it is amazing out to that range. I just don't shoot it enough.

I'm shooting my PTR in my avatar at the last car shoot. It's a great gun. Like someone else said it is a bit front heavy. I paid $770 new at Rileys about six or seven years ago. Mags were .97 cents on Cheaper Than Dirt.

I see those advertised quite heavily in CDNN...as cool as they seem, I'd rather spend a kilobuck on ammo or reloading stuff though. Maybe after the surge is over.

I have a PTR91. Don't shoot it much, but it is a tank. I admire the build quality. Once in a while I'll take the PTR91 and DSA SA-58 FAL out for a love fest. I think I prefer the FAL a little bit, but both are great, real world battle rifles.

Of course these days who can afford to shoot the damn things!

I bought a bunch of pre-ban mags without even owning the gun. Ive found a few but don't have any ammo to feed it. Hopefully when (and if) things settle down I'll pick one up.

I bought a bunch of pre-ban mags without even owning the gun. Ive found a few but don't have any ammo to feed it. Hopefully when (and if) things settle down I'll pick one up.

Mine is the 91-c. It's a blast. Searching on the iPhone stinks. Anyone find pre bans locally or online?

Back
Top Bottom