holographic optics confusion...help!!

i am just starting to get back into shooting after being out of the game for abour 4 years. i recently bought myself an AR15 (5.56/.223) for messing around at the range and my friends private property, i have always wanted one, and of course it serves as a home defense weapon. i am awaiting my membership to a club that has a 50, 100, & 300 yard outdoor range, i will need to practice on the shorter ranges before i can attempt to qualify for the longer range, of course. i have never participated in any competitions or shoots, so i am completely in the dark with that stuff. i am not a veteran, i am not a LEO, i am not active military, i am not a sharp shooter, and i am not swimming in money!!! so given that, i want decent quality optics which will allow me to participate in both long and short range target shooting, and maybe once i get some experience and practice under my belt i will participate in some competitions. for right now i just want to get back in the groove of things and have some fun blowing off some rounds.

knowing that, i also don't like buying things twice. so i don't want to get cheap equipment, but i WILL NOT spend more than $500 on optics, i just can't do it, doesn't make sense given my financial position. i had a hard enough time telling the wife i spent $1100 on the black rifle, nevermind trying to explain $500 on a sight system for it!! (do those come with an extra bedroom??? haha) i really like the EOTech and understand the difference in quality, so when my taxes come in i would feel more comfortable spending the $300-$400 on one, so i think that's what i'll do.

Send a PM/email to Lowracer. He's a dealer on this board and often runs group buys on EOTechs. I'd suggest getting the XPS2-0 given your price requirements.

I understand that you're on a budget. However, the most accurate gun is useless without a good sighting system. Good optics are expensive but they're worth it in a number of ways.

That said, you should also look at Aimpoints and other good red dots before you buy. You might like the others better.

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it!! Once I have a little more dough to play with I think I'll be picking up an EOTech, I'll keep my eye on eBay for used ones in the meantime. Very cool how it works too.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it!! Once I have a little more dough to play with I think I'll be picking up an EOTech, I'll keep my eye on eBay for used ones in the meantime. Very cool how it works too.

I will say this. I have an XPS2-0 on one of my rifles. I like it a lot but I wish I got the version with the side mounted buttons.

I only see the xps2-0, xps2 & xps3....are there other models? And does the night vision model have night vision built in or is it just compatible with an additional night vision unit?

Nevermind, I see all the other models...I will check their website for info on the latest models....

Because I have the EOTech pretty far back and I also have a flip up BUIS. They're close enough that getting to the buttons is a minor PITA but I like the EOTech where it is optically. The side buttons would solve the problem.

i have the MAGPUL flip-up sights....do you think i would be better off with the side buttons?? i am guessing my placement of the EOTech would be close to the same as yours??

i have the MAGPUL flip-up sights....do you think i would be better off with the side buttons?? i am guessing my placement of the EOTech would be close to the same as yours??

I also wish I had gotten the side buttons - even without the BUIS in the way, they're just easier for me to get to.

check out the eotech website. there is a section on how to spot fakes. read it and familiarize yourself with eotechs if you are checking out eBay. there have been people in the past trying to pass off airsoft replicas as the real deal.

I think you'll have the problem with any BUIS if you mount the EOTech and BUIS close together.

the side buttons are also good if you plan to add a magnifier behind it. Mine are on the back and that's where I like them. My XPS sits on the front of the rail and the troy flip up iron sight sits on the rear and they get along just fine together.

Last edited:
i will check out the website tips on how to spot a fake....i buy and sell on ebay all the time and i'm familiar with checking feedback for sellers and ALWAYS reading the ENTIRE item description to make sure it's not a scam. i see alot of listing wher ethe description says EOTech but then the description says "uses EOTech technology" or "EOTech clone", so i've spotted some of these already. i am thinking of just buying new anyway, and it probably will be the EXPS with the side mounted buttons. seems to be the way to go for not much more money. at first i didn't want to spend more than $200, now you guys got me itching to drop close to $500 on this thing!! but i completely understand and agree with the points you all make to buy the quality piece. i was up late last night watching youtube videos of people reviewing & demo-ing them.

update....i ended up finding a lightly used XPS2-0 for $375 with original box and manual, couldn't pass it up, waiting for delivery!!!

Back
Top Bottom