• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hornady Powder Measure For Dillon 750

Broc

NES Member
I read that it can be used and have seen plenty of pics and a few videos.

However, everyone says they cant use a powder check die because the powder drop takes too much space, basically losing a stage.

I am not a big fan of the Dillon system, it uses more parts which means it increases the chances something breaks and you are done reloading until Dillon ships a replacement.

My questions are:

1. Is anyone here using the Hornady powder drop in a Dillon?
2. Based on pictures, it looks like a powder check could fit. What are your thoughts?

I prefer to have searing and crimping in separate stages.

Not sure what you mean, so, see the picture. It can sit in station 2 as well just fine, I just like station 3 better.
it is much easier to put in the brass manually into station 3.
C2A196F9-AACD-46C8-8E02-E299E9E6577C.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean, so, see the picture. It can sit in station 2 as well just fine, I just like station 3 better.
View attachment 635760
Nice.

Looks like the average die fits, which is good.

But I guess a powder check will not fit.

What are your thoughts on that set up, how do you like it?

But I guess a powder check will not fit.
What are your thoughts on that set up, how do you like it?
i think the powder check would fit too. i have one but do not want to move this measure from its spot.

as of how i like it - i use it for reloder16 long stick powder and it is far from perfect, but better than a sliding bar dillon measures. those cannot deal with long sticks powders at all.

by now i also know that dillon measures are not all the same, as i have now 2 that drop varget very well and one that keeps doing random deviations of 0.3-04gr out of sudden.

the hornady one needs a bit of a prior massaging to it done - some graphite to the round inner drum to minimize the gaps.
then the screw-in measurement bolt needs some attention too - to make it sit there as solid as possible, a teflon plumbing tape worked there ok for me.

it needs to be tightened very well so it would not move, then it is doing more or less good 0.1-0.2gr accurate drops, mine is set to 41.8gr and i never touch it from what it is set to once it stabilizes. if measure moves up fine with no biting - then a drop is usually accurate - i get 41.7 or 41.8. if it bites in - usually it overdoes it by a 0.2gr. it does not bite too often now, so i left it alone - i can work with 6.5cm reloads with it relatively fine. it did not work too well with varget - for that i use a regular dillon bar.

it would be helpful to get the drum out and spray it with some sort of a teflon coating to add 2-3 microns to it, but, i do not want to mess with it no more.
i think the last experiment on it had a synthetic wax spray - and so far it works ok. in my sample the gap there was really minimal, but if you remove most of it - it almost stops powder biting.

09874437-A8CA-4374-84AA-F5B209B749FB.jpeg

Last edited:
i think the powder check would fit too. i have one but do not want to move this measure from its spot.

as of how i like it - i use it for reloder16 long stick powder and it is far from perfect, but better than a sliding bar dillon measures. those cannot deal with long sticks powders at all.

by now i also know that dillon measures are not all the same, as i have now 2 that drop varget very well and one that keeps doing random deviations of 0.3-04gr out of sudden.

the hornady one needs a bit of a prior massaging to it done - some graphite to the round inner drum to minimize the gaps.
then the screw-in measurement bolt needs some attention too - to make it sit there as solid as possible, a teflon plumbing tape worked there ok for me.

it needs to be tightened very well so it would not move, then it is doing more or less good 0.1-0.2gr accurate drops, mine is set to 41.8gr and i never touch it from what it is set to once it stabilizes. if measure moves up fine with no biting - then a drop is usually accurate - i get 41.7 or 41.8. if it bites in - usually it overdoes it by a 0.2gr. it does not bite too often now, so i left it alone - i can work with 6.5cm reloads with it relatively fine. it did not work too well with varget - for that i use a regular dillon bar.

it would be helpful to get the drum out and spray it with some sort of a teflon coating to add 2-3 microns to it, but, i do not want to mess with it no more.

View attachment 635773

Never had anything that dropped Varget very well. I have been measuring each load by hand for years.

Never had anything that dropped Varget very well. I have been measuring each load by hand for years.
well, 2 of dillon measures i have drop it with a 0.1gr precision, really, with almost no deviations. one of them has a standard bare stock bar also.
i measure all drops as well when i load for precision. but i know i can also run a batch for .223 and it works out just fine.

the 3rd one i use for .308 and it has a tricked out micrometer bar, all the stuff done, and measures rather crappy. i think it is all about excessive play between the bar and the housing.
can try swapping the bar out, will see.

I use a cheap Lee perfect powder measure for stick powders like IMR-4064. I got half inch groups (at 100) using that in 7.5x55 Swiss in my scoped K31 with Nosler 168 gr BTHPs. Good enough for me but I’m not a PRS/long range shooter😂
If I was, I’d probably use a Chargemaster or something.

Back
Top Bottom