How do you carry your AR15 mags?

I'm going to be taking my first carbine class in a couple weeks and it just dawned on me that I have no way of carrying extra mags. I know there are oodles of chest rigs and such, but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for. Eventually I'll probably pick one up. But right now I'm looking for something that isn't going to break the bank.

I'm a proponent of "Train like you fight, fight like you train" and unless you can forsee the SHTF, I don't see a chest rig as being practical. If the "S" is going down RIGHT NOW, I can't see myself trying to dawn a loaded chest rig. As it stands, I'm thinking about running the class with a mag in each back pocket, as that seems to be a more likely scenario -- grab and go, if you will.

Aside from an AR with a sling, I will also have a gun belt with a sidearm holstered. Is there anything that is easy-on, easy-off for a belt (ie, doesn't need to have a belt threaded through it)?

What works for everyone else? What do you guys use? Pics and or links are appreciated as well.

I wish you posted this before I picked my ammo up from you, I have some gear that may work for you, if you would like to borrow some, or all, drop me a PM. I might go to Upton Monday morning if you want to meet somewhere.

I like chest rigs. Here's a pic of my TT rig (w/ my cheap duct tape/550 cord mag pulls)...
IMG_0901.jpg

I just picked up some old school 782 gear from US Calvery. I haven't used anything like it for 29 years but its more familiar to me than any kind of chest rig or vest.
Similar to this;
alice_fighting_load.jpg

Ordered it last Friday & it arrived yesterday.

langloisandy posted something very interesting a couple weeks back
Here's the link.

The item is kind of a "magazine" for your magazines. If you click on the black "training video" you'll get a YouTube video showing everything about the system.

An ingenious product but expensive. [thinking]

When you train, your gear should work with you not against you. If your running a chest rig you haven't trained with your going to be fighting your gear and missing out on good training. A belt mounted offside mag holder like these ones are similar enough to where pistol mags are your muscle memory isn't much affected.

http://www.blade-tech.com/-NEW-AR-15-M16-Pouches-pr-974.html#product_images
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/pro...id=32&osCsid=a77828d9bfd5a1552428c2160ed2f3ee

Or you can just stick a mag in your back pocket as thats probably the most realistic way its going to go down when you hear a bump in the nite.

When and if your ready to go with a chest rig drop me a PM, I have tried several variations on style and brands and put them through there paces in the 'box so I can give you a hand on what works and whats junk

ETA: That stractech rig is worthless, if you just carry one your throwing off your balance if you carry two thats a ton of extra wieght. If you smack it against a door frame or wall or the ground and it gets damaged you had lost or limited your access to your mags. Interesting concept for competitive shooters but a definite no-go for combat or self defense.

Last edited:
Excellent post pmb44 - +1

The following is a link I have posted before from a man by the name of J. Boyette. He posted this in a discussion about load bearing gear. Much like pmb44, he bases his experience on...experience and he taught me much through this article and via correspondence about finding a set-up that would work for me. I see many people with vests so packed low and up front with gear that it amazes me how one could even consider fighting prone. There are other things to consider as well like mag changes, access to your sidearm and transitioning from rifle to sidearm if needed. Many do not take this into consideration when building up tactical gear. I have my Arktis 1624, (now M-173) set up to run my M1A SOCOM. In setting it up I had to consider everything - especially getting to my mags. Anyway, I think pmb44 makes excellent points - as it stands right now, if something went bump in the night, I have one mag on board and two in my pockets. If God forbid crapola went down, then the Arktis comes into play. I don't think it hurts to train with either, but I tend to train more for what is most likely...

Anyway, here's the link - I hope it helps some: J. Boyette

the best combat style way to hold it is to get a molle vest and the mag pouches that go with it. you can put the pouches anywhere you want on yourself and you can carry well over 200 rounds easily.

I bought a crazy molle vest when I was playing airsoft, and tons of different pouches, and after running it in different configurations through multiple games, my conclusion was 'screw chest rigs'. I'm gonna stick my mags in my pockets if the need ever arises. The comment someone posted about 'fighting your gear' is spot on.

Tom,

I have a USGI 3 pocket pouch for 30 rounders you can borrow if you need it. Clips onto any belt and each pocket has it's own retention strap with snap.

When you train, your gear should work with you not against you. If your running a chest rig you haven't trained with your going to be fighting your gear and missing out on good training. A belt mounted offside mag holder like these ones are similar enough to where pistol mags are your muscle memory isn't much affected.
<snip>
Or you can just stick a mag in your back pocket as thats probably the most realistic way its going to go down when you hear a bump in the nite.

The above is pretty much what I've decided to go with. Chris was super kind and is letting me borrow a USGI 3 mag pouch (among other things) that can be belt mounted. Between that and my back pockets, I think I'm going to get as close to "Train like you fight, fight like you train" while still being able to participate in the class without being "That guy" that holds everyone up.

Maybe down the road I'll begin looking into some sort of chest rig/lbv for a SHTF type scenario where the goal is to carry lots of ammo a long way... but for a carbine class this weekend and a few down the road, I'm not too worried about having 200+ rounds on my person ALL the time... It's just not practical in a real world scenario, IMO.

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all their input. Lots of great ideas and comments about what works and doesn't work. Not only was this helpful to me, but I'm sure some of the other, soon-to-be- AR owners will find value in everything posted above, as well.

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how it goes. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom